Status: Completed.

An Awakening.

I awoke.

I awoke in a room, the floor was tiled, chips and cracks caught my tattered clothing as I slowly sat up. The walls were white tiles, there was a single window pointing to the west, the sun was just setting allowing a streamline of light to reflect off the tiles causing a light rainbow effect. A door sat in the corner, a green caged light above it, glowing brightly in the darkening room. I stood, my legs shaking beneath me, and took a step towards the door; I heard a creaking noise and watched as the door swung open a small girl stood in the doorway, her blonde curls enveloping her shoulders in a sea of hair.

“Where do you think you’re going?” She sarcastically said.

“Who, me?” I replied.

“Not you, Him!” She pointed excitedly behind me.

I knew where this was going; I made my way towards the door,
“Come on everyone-“ She began, but I cut her off by walking past.
She glared at me then walked into the room. I turned around to look at her but she was gone. I walked out the door into a tiled hallway. Rooms were heading off in all directions from the corridor, which had eerie hospital lights hanging from the roof. I walked past a well lit room filled with weeping children, I looked inside, nurses were hurrying around taking medicine to this one or a nappy change to that, the room had a sense of organisation to it, until one of them noticed me.

“Who are you?” She asked.

“I’m just passing through.” I replied.

“Everyone just ‘passes through’ here. I hope you see the light soon.”

“Thank you.” I said, unsure about what she meant.
I heard a sound behind me, and turned around, only to see nothing, when I turned back, the babies and nurses had gone. This disappearing was bothering me. I left the room and walked further down the hallway, passing so many rooms, but one caught my attention. Rusty syringes hung from the walls, dusty lab coats lying on the cracked floor and of course the hospital beds with distorted, burnt shapes lying on them. I walked towards them cautiously, I didn’t know if they were alive of not. As I neared it showed that they were clearly dead and had died painfully.

“Shocking, isn’t it?” A female’s voice spoke behind me.

“What happened?” I asked, turning to look at her. She was tall and blonde with scars all over her face. She had a fuscoferuginous colour to her, the colour of dried blood.

“Doctors with no apparent knowledge about how to help the dying.”

“Why do they disappear?” I asked.

“They don’t...” She looked at me quizzically. “How did you come about getting here?”
I began speaking and she began to walk closer, a malicious smile encircling her face as her fuscoferuginous skin became darker. She lashed out and...