Last Train to London

Two

- Help, Lu, I've fallen in love with a boy on the train!! Coralynn typed out on her mobile. She sent the message to her best friend, Lucy MacCulloch. Lucy texted back quickly.

- WHAT???

- I, being the deranged human being that I am, have fallen for a boy on the train. He's so cute, Lu, you wouldn't even believe.

-youre kidding. please tell me youre kidding.

- I mean obviously I'm not IN LOVE in love with him. But he's really very sweet. And absolutely adorable.

- send me a piccy right now, corry. RIGHT. NOW.

Coralynn sighed and held up her phone in what she hoped was an inconspicuous manner. She snapped a photo of Kiernan and looked it over. It was a bit blurry, and he was leaning over his book, so his face wasn't really visible. But it would do.

- I feel so creepy, Lu. But here he is.

- hes alright, i suppose. doll, youre going to LONDON, this is no time to be gawking over boys on trains. savvy?

- What is it with people saying savvy??

Coralynn slammed her mobile shut and glowered out the window at the passing countryside. She loved Lucy, of course. They were best friends. Coralynn's flat had been right next to Lucy's for their entire lives. They went to school together, and did dance together as well. But sometimes Lucy could be a bit... irritating. She and Coralynn were opposites, really. Lucy was practical and good at maths, while Coralynn was more of a dreamer and an English-and-History sort of person. Lucy scoffed at the idea of love at first sight. Coralynn was a hopeless romantic. Despite these differences, the two girls had always gotten along, especially because of dance.

"Everything alright?" Kiernan asked, looking up from his book.

"Yeah. Yeah, everything's fine. My friend Lucy's being a wee bit irritating, but that's just her. How's Dickens going?"

"Finished my chapter. I'm done for the day. We can talk some more, if you like." His smile was almost as big as hers.

"I'd love that."