Status: Active

Lies

Opportunity Knocks

After what felt like a long wait, the lunch wagon came around. We had ordered Chinese food from a little place in China Town and I was just starving. We pooled together in the break room, and some of the countless number of tables were full and some of the workers were standing. Everybody was chattering mindlessly as they passed around food, chopsticks and drinks. I noticed an empty spot at table, just one spot. I sucked in a deep, nervous breathe and made my way to the occupied table and introduced myself.

“I’m Charlotte Campbell, can I sit with you?” I felt like I was in middle school again, better yet; high school. The women gave me odd stares, as if I were something outrageously weird and unknown. The one guy who was sitting at the table spoke for them.
“Sure thing Charlotte, have a seat. Did you get your food yet?” He asked. He seemed calm despite all the chaos around him. I looked around, and noticed a box of Orange Chicken and rice. I quickly snatched it from the givers’ hand and shot them a smile of thanks. I took the last pack of chopsticks from the center of our table and a package of rangoons. Apparently everyone had their own pack. I also took the last fortune cookie and piled it neatly in front of me.

“Just did,” I finally replied with a laugh. I opened the box and let the steam escape for a moment before diving into balling up my rice with the chopsticks and eating slowly.
“How do you ball your rice?” One of the girls questioned. I looked up, and shrugged at her. She was a bottle blonde obviously given away from her ginger roots.
“I learned young,” She nodded in response and sank back into her seat. She seemed almost defeated at the task of eating her food.
“So Charlotte, you must be new here. Where did you transfer from?” I looked for the voice only to see it was from the solo man once again.

“I just graduated from NYU this past spring.” I confessed with a smile. They all exchanged looks to each other, then stared at me for a minute or two before speaking.
“So, you’re fresh from the bin?” I nodded.
“Yeah, as fresh as can be, why?” The girls smirked, but the man looked almost sympathetic.
“You will be in for a hell of a time here then Miss Charlotte.” Bottle blonde spoke. A brunette with red highlights in her hair leaned over to a girl with raven colored hair and she quietly spoke
“I heard she met Jesse Callaghan already. Isn’t that crazy?” Raven haired girl nodded and smirked.
“She will have a lot of fun with him.” They giggled and when I began to stare at them quizzically they stopped.

“So, who is Jesse Callaghan?” I bit into my chicken, and watched them as they grew bugged eyed from my question.
“You don’t know who Jesse Callaghan is?” The table said in unison. I shrugged.
“Is he a celebrity? I don’t know a lot about celebrities,” I admitted and they began to laugh.
“Are you sure you’re in the right place then? This is one of the top magazines for Celebrity Gossip,” The man asked with a chortle.
“I’m well aware, but it is also one of the best magazines for down-right Journalism.” I countered.
“Well it isn’t any more kid,” I grew wide eyed.

“How is it not? I applied for the journalism position here,”
“We all did sweetie, but we got the celebrity gossip gig. I hope you can learn fast,” Blonde stood up as well as the raven-haired girl and the brunette.
“Jake we’re leaving,” They all shot me a dirty look and turned away as they walked towards the exit. I snorted and turned to Jake.

“Who do they think they are, the plastics?” Jake rolled his eyes and smirked.
“Yeah, I suppose.” I laughed and finished my orange chicken, then moved on to my rangoons.
“How do you guys eat so much here?” I thought aloud, right as I was shoving my face.
“Easy, we barley eat otherwise.” I furrowed a brow and he laughed.

“We’re all so busy working, that the only thing we have time for is sleep. We have to find time to eat,” His explanation made sense, but I only hoped that I wouldn’t be so busy. Unfortunately sooner than I had thought our lunch break was over, but that didn’t stop me from taking my left overs to my new office. As we stood up Jake was about to throw away his left-overs when I had stopped him.
“Are you really going to throw those away?” I asked, eyeing the food dangling over the trashbin in his hands.

“Yeah, why, do you want them?” I bit my lip, and looked at him.
“Yeah, if you wouldn’t mind,” He shrugged and handed me the food.
“Sure, you can have my left-overs anytime Charlotte,” I smiled at him, and we slowly walked back to our offices together. I really took him in, dark hair, brown eyes and skin that had a faded tan from the summer.

“So, I guess we’ll see eachother soon then, yeah?” He asked with a smile.
“Yeah, sure.” He left me by the door of my office and continued on his way to his.
Once the day came to a close I felt accomplished, I didn’t have any real writing assignments just yet but I had done way more than I had done in college. As I was leaving someone stopped me, and when I turned to see who it was I saw Jake, trying to desperately catch his breath.
“Charlotte, I have the most wonderful news.” I perked up, and looked at him.
“Oh yeah, can you walk and talk?” I smirked at his bewildered face and turned on my heel and began to walk.

“I have to go home, I’m on a schedule ya’know.” His strides were in sync with mine and he began to tell me about this wonderful new assignment our boss was giving out to one lucky rookie.
“What’s the assignment?” I asked him as I stopped by the entrance to the subway.
“Basically, you get to stalk the infamous Jesse Callaghan.” I grew wide eyed, this assignment seemed to interest me already.

“Really? How can you get considered for the assignment?” He shrugged.
“I dunno, I just heard it over some break-room gossip. Don’t take my word on it, but I suggest you keep yourself on your toes. You want it big right?” I nodded, I wanted nothing more than to be the best journalist, even if it was just a gossip journalist. You had to start somewhere right?
“Good, because this is your big chance kid, don’t waste it.” I smiled from ear to ear, even after he had walked away. I had my chance, and I was going to take it.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yes! Updated! Feedback? Subscriptions? Leave recommendations for your friends if you like this story as well!