The Doctor Knows Best

1

“Hello can you hear me? Can you tell me your name please?” a voice asked as I tried to open my eyes and the light burnt them causing me to shut them again, “Your name, can you tell me your name?” they asked again. I opened my mouth to speak and my voice wasn’t there, the word caught in my throat “S…Sum…Summer” I managed. “Okay good, now can you tell me your last name please Summer?” they said “Canning” I croaked “Okay can we get her notes please! Summer Canning” the voice shouted, “Right let me see her stats,” the voice stated and he mumbled something.

“Okay Summer your in hospital, my names Dr Cooper. Can you tell me anything that you remember?” the voice asked “When I woke up my stomach hurt but I thought nothing of it but it got worse and worse, I thought I’d grab a shower but after that not a lot” I admitted. “Okay well I can tell you that you must’ve slipped and banged your head and your friend found you. Now your stomach can you describe the pain to me?” they asked and I opened my eyes again, the light caused tears to form in my eyes.

I went to rub my eyes “Here lets move this light so it’s not blinding you” the voice said and the light was moved and everything came into focus. “Now Summer tell me about the stomach pain” they stated and I looked to see a guy in scrubs “Erm, it was really painful” “Like an ache or a bruise or a stabbing feeling?” he asked looking down at me.

“Stabbing” “Okay and whereabouts? All over or in one place” he said “In one place” I admitted “Okay whereabouts, top middle or bottom?” he asked and I tried to locate the pain “Bottom right” I stated and he smiled. “Okay I’m going to have a look, tell me if it hurts okay?” he asked and I nodded.

He pushed my top up to reveal my stomach “Summer does your stomach hurt still?” “Yeah but not as bad as before” I admitted “Okay” he smiled putting light pressure on my stomach all over before moving to where it had been the most painful and it made a sharp pain go through me “It hurts there” “Okay, have you ever had problems with your appendix?” he asked and I looked at him.

I shook my head “Okay well I’m going to send you for a little x-ray and I’ll look at your results and see where we are after that but I think you’ll be just fine. Now let me have a quick check of that head,” he said. “I also need to run a test to just make sure your not pregnant” “Oh I’m not” I cut back “Well I just need to be sure because symptoms like yours could be lots of things and I just need to be sure” he reasoned.

“I’m not pregnant” “Okay right, nurse can you give her some stitches for the head. Summer I’ll be back when your results are back” he stated smiling before walking off.