The Doctor Knows Best

5

I got to the coffee shop and saw Bradley sat outside, he stood up as I got to him smiling “Hey, how you doing?” he asked and I nodded “Good thanks, you?” “I’m great, got 2 days off work so I’m feeling on top of the world” he joked as we both sat down again. We both ordered and sat talking “So what do you do with yourself now your not allowed to do anything?” he asked and I sighed “Watch a lot of TV and help Samuel’s dad out but that’s it” I admitted.

“Sorry about presuming he was your boyfriend by the way” “Oh don’t worry, I’ve known Samuel since I was 18. I don’t get how people cope with having nothing to do, at least I can get back to working on college work next week” I answered. “Your still at college?” he asked, “Kind of, I’ve been once but I’m working on something else now” I admitted.

“Oh what like a masters?” he said, “Well I just finished my masters actually” I replied “Seriously? In what?” he asked “Forensic Psychology” “Well I never expected that, you studying towards the Ph.D or Psy.D?” she said “Psy.D, I guess all this time off work lets me do lots on that so I can finish it sooner than I thought” I said smiling and he laughed.

“See there’s always an upside to surgery, hang on you said all doctors lie! You’ll be a doctor after that” he cut back “Yeah well I was in pain and plus you’re a different kind of doctor” I argued and he laughed. “Any excuse! So Summer are you from California?” he asked and I shook my head “Minnesota but I came here for college, you?” “Nope, I’m from New York” he answered.

“New York, I always wanted to go” “And I always wanted to get away, I got what I wanted so maybe you will get yours. So why psychology?” he asked “People are interesting, why a doctor?” I replied, “I like looking after people” he said. “Okay so I’m lying, I have very pushy parents and being a doctor is good money” he admitted and I laughed.

“So it is true that that’s the only reason people become doctors” “Yeah I suck at it but it pays bills” he stated “Yeah you are pretty bad at it” “Hey come on I looked after you didn’t I?” he asked and I shrugged making him smile. “Can I ask you a question?” I said and he nodded “Do they teach you guys how to have cold hands at college or something?” I said and he looked at me smiling “Yeah first whole year they make us keep our hands in the freezer! My mom tells people she knew I would be a doctor because I had doctors hands, stupid woman!” he mumbled making me laugh.

“Seriously though all doctors have cold hands” “You don’t” he cut back “I’m not a doctor and how would you know?” “Because you kept holding my hand when you were all dramatic on me” he teased. “Dramatic?” “Yeah when you had that infection from surgery and I found you in the hall way; well you were holding my hand when we got you back in your room. You have warm hands, but then you had a fever so maybe that was the cause” he rambled and I laughed at him.

“Why do I have a big bruise on my arm by the way?” I asked and he smiled “That was me, I was trying to get a line in but well it’s been awhile since I did it so it took me a few attempts, it’s not bad is it?” he replied and I pushed my sweater up and he pouted “Sorry” he offered and I smiled pulling the sleeve down.

We finished and he paid for us both “You fancy going for a walk or something?” he asked and I nodded getting up and he smiled “We can walk slow” he teased and I glared at him making him laugh, “You can walk okay right?” “Yep” I answered and he smiled as we walked off.

We walked around for a bit before he said he had to go back home and he walked me to my work “Well it was nice seeing you, maybe we could do something tomorrow?” “Yeah okay” I said smiling and he grinned, “Well I’ll ring you or something, bye,” he stated leaning forward and kissing my cheek before walking off and I walked in going to the offices.

“Summer! How are you?” one of the receptionists asked “I’m good thanks you?” I replied and she nodded “What are you doing here, your supposed to be on a break?” she stated. “Well I got bored and I wanted to talk to the boss about coming back in to work and also collect some stuff for my college stuff” I answered and she nodded. “He’s free so go in” “Thanks” I said walking the office to see my boss at his desk.

“Summer, it’s great to see you! So what can I do for you?” he asked, “Well I was wondering when I can come back?” “Not until a month after surgery like the hospital said” he replied and I nodded. “Well can I take some stuff home and do some extra work on my college stuff, maybe get it finished sooner rather than later?” I asked and he nodded “Take whatever books you want,” he said.

“Thanks” I replied as I picked up some books “Can I take home some paperwork or something because I’m so bored!” I complained and he shook his head “No, Summer get out of here will you and I don’t want you back here until your supposed to be back. It’s for your own good and you know it!” he snapped and I groaned saying bye and leaving with the books I wanted.

I did some work when I got home before going to dinner at Samuel’s house, the next day at midday my phone rang “Hello” I said “Hey Summer, you okay?” Bradley asked, “Yeah thanks you?” “Yeah I’m great, do you want to maybe go to a movie and grab some dinner tonight?” he said.

“Sure what time?” “I’ll come by pick you up 6ish, you live in the block in the south of town right?” he asked, “Yeah how’d you know that?” I asked “You told me yesterday! You live in the block off Redmen right?” he said “Yeah, wow I talk too much” “Nope you talk the right amount, so I’ll pick you up 6ish from your place saves you walking and makes me seem charming and a gentlemen” he joked and I laughed.

“See you are a liar” I teased, “Hey Summer play nicely!” he cut back laughing with me “Sorry but you were asking for that one” “Yeah I guess I was, well you’ll see that I’m a perfect gentlemen Summer Canning. Just you wait and see young lady, so I’ll see you 6ish” he said. “Yeah okay, bye” “Bye” he stated hanging up.

I grabbed my books and started doing some of my work for college, my phone beeped and I grabbed it ‘Take your tablets! ;) xxx’ I read from Samuel and I laughed grabbing them from the side and taking them. ‘Done it! :) xxx’ I replied before carrying on with my work.