The Doctor Knows Best

6

It got to 5 and I got in the shower getting changed, there was a knock on my door and I answered it to see Bradley “Okay so is there anything I didn’t tell you?” I asked and he smiled “I asked downstairs and they told me, I thought I’d prove you wrong and walk up to meet you. You know, prove I am a gentlemen” he joked and I laughed nodding “Right,” I stated and he smiled.

“You ready to go?” he asked and I nodded “Come on then pretty lets go” he said motioning for me to go with him and I walked out to the elevator with him. “So how’ve you been?” “Good thanks you?” I replied and he nodded smiling. “I’m good but kind of bummed I have work tomorrow, I swear I just get caught up on sleep and then bam they put me back on nights and my brain gets confused again” he grumbled and I smiled.

“So what have you been doing today?” he asked as we walked out of my block “College work, the boss has banned me from work” I complained “Good! I put you on bed rest for a reason Summer” he stated as he opened his car door helping me in and I thanked him “See I can do gentlemen when I need to” he joked getting in himself and I laughed at him.

He pulled off driving to the movie theatre and we talked about college, it turned out he’d gone to college 2 years early “Seriously that early?” “Yeah, my parents used to make me do loads of homework and then they asked whether I could be bumped up a year in school. They did it then they bumped me up another year, so at 16 I went to college in New York because I wasn’t really old enough to leave home for real” he explained.

“So you’re a geek right?” I asked and he laughed “Yeah kind of” “How many years is med school anyway? Is it 4 then 4?” I said and he nodded. “4 years then another 4 years of med school and then you do your residency; mines 4 years. I’ve only got 1 year of mine left” he admitted “So that makes you 27?” I asked and he laughed. “Quick maths Summer, yes I am and your 26” he stated and I looked at him as he pulled up at the theatre “You were my patient so I kind of know things about you” he admitted.

“Like what?” I said as we got out the car “Like your 26, your O negative, you had your tonsils out at 10 and that’s the only surgery you’d had until now, you broke your wrist when you were 5 and you had breathing problems when you were a baby, your prone to ear infections in your left ear and you’ve only ever had strep throat twice” he listed and I looked at him shocked. “It’s my job to read your notes, I kind of remember things about patients until they leave the hospital, maybe I paid more attention to your notes than I normally do” he reasoned and I laughed at him.

“I know things about you too Bradley Cooper” I stated making him laugh “You didn’t even know my name” he cut back as we walked into the theatre “Yeah well I know things about you now” I bragged and he nodded “I doubt that, you know I’m a doctor, where I’m from, where I went to college and that’s it” he replied and I smiled. “You believe that Bradley” I said and he smiled “So what movie do you want to see” “I don’t mind,” I stated.

“Okay well I’ve seen Transformers and Cars 2” “I saw Cars 2 fortnight ago” I admitted “Really what day?” “Tuesday, why?” I asked “No way, 2.45?” “Yeah” I stated. “I was there with my neighbours kid!” “I took Samuel’s youngest brother, probably shouldn’t admit it but I loved it” I said and he smiled “Me too, so which film?” he asked.

“What’s Super 8?” “You’ve never seen it?” he said “No” “Okay well we can watch that then, I’ve seen it before but I love it so I won’t complain at a excuse to see it again” he replied. He paid for us both leading me to sit down “I can’t believe we were at the same Cars 2” “I know crazy right?” I stated and he laughed.

The film started and mid way through I rested my feet on the seat and he pushed my knees making me put my feet on the floor again “You’ll pull at your stitches don’t do that” he whispered and I smiled at him “Who are you my…” “Doctor? Yeah kind of” he replied making us both laugh quietly. “Idiot” I grumbled and he leant towards me “Shut up complaining and keep your feet on the floor, I don’t need to have to sort your stitches out when you pull them and get in pain,” he whispered and I smiled at him.

“So is it acceptable for me to sit this way?” I asked sarcastically and he nodded smiling “This way is good for me” he replied. Not long after I felt his hand on my leg and I looked out my eye corner to see him smiling looking at the movie, the movie finished and we left; he drove to a restaurant and we walked inside.

We sat down at the table and he smiled at me “So Summer Canning you say you know things about me, tell me what you think you know” he said and I nodded “Fine but I can’t guarantee you’ll like it” “Trust me I hear things I don’t like everyday, I can take it” he stated and I nodded.

“Okay no I’m not going there, I’ve learnt from past mistakes” I mumbled, “No come on, what can you say that will upset me?” “I don’t know, I say things that I don’t really mean to upset people but it just happens,” I admitted. “Well maybe we can leave it until a later date then, especially if your going to do your stupid psychology stuff on me” he grumbled.

“Stupid?” I asked and he nodded “It’s all nonsense in my mind” “Oh thanks, you know just because you went to med school doesn’t mean you know what’s best for everyone” I cut back and he nodded. “Just because you’ve spent years learning the human brain doesn’t mean you understand everyone,” he argued back and I shook my head at him making him smile.

“So you don’t like doctors then?” he asked “I do like doctors but I think they tend to think they’re amazing just because they went to med school and they look down on those who didn’t” I explained. “No I just don’t really buy into all that psychiatry stuff” “Good job I’m not a psychiatrist; I’m a psychologist; there is a difference” I replied and he rolled his eyes.

“Picky now aren’t you? So you’re a general psychologist I take it” he stated as we ordered and I shook my head “I work as a normal psychologist but my masters is in forensic psychology and my doctorate is in clinical psychology, I like forensic psychology and psychology of crime” I admitted and he nodded.

“Surely it’s creepy? I mean I couldn’t read about criminals and their minds all the time it’d freak me out” he admitted “It’s interesting, I spent some time in the prison down town doing research and at a rehab place for newly released criminals. I’d hate your job of seeing people dying,” I explained.

“You get used to it, you have to be detached from patients. Don’t get involved, yes they’re people and they’re your responsibility but you can’t take it home at the end of the day. You have to just shut it off, not remember what you did that day and what you’ve seen. You learn from mistakes and hope you don’t make them again,” he said smiling.

“But you have people’s lives in your hands” “Yeah and I have to keep a cool head, I used to freak out over bad things and I’d worry whether the decision I was making was the right one but after awhile I realised that the time I spent second guessing my decisions was time wasted that I could be using to treat the patient. Now I make my decision quickly, it’s an experience thing” he explained.

We talked whilst eating and he was really funny “What’s with all the jokes in the hospital by the way?” I asked and he smiled “I’d rather people laughed at me or hated me for being jokey rather than worry why they’re there. Plus you’re even prettier when you laugh” he offered.

“Someone really is going all out on the charming front tonight aren’t they?” I joked and he laughed nodding “Got to try impress a girl somehow haven’t I?” he said and I smiled at him. We finished and he refused to let me pay for anything, he drove me home “You want to come in for a bit or something?” I asked and he smiled “I’ll walk you up” he stated getting out the car and walking up with me.

“Ergh I have work tomorrow” he grumbled and I laughed at him “Don’t you laugh, I’d hate for you to pull stitches and need to come back to the ER. You know I might have to treat you again and that would be awful,” he teased and I shook my head. “What time do you have work?” “12 until 10” he answered and I nodded “Well I guess I’ll see you then, have fun at work tomorrow and thanks for tonight” I said and he nodded.

“I’ll try and anytime, we should do this again” “Yeah we should” I replied and he grinned leaning forward kissing my cheek, he pulled away before kissing me properly his hand on my neck. I moved my hands to his hair and he guided me into his body before I pulled away and he smiled “Well Summer Canning if that’s what being a gentlemen gets me then I will quiet happily take you out anyday” he said kissing me again.

“I better go but do you fancy getting breakfast with me tomorrow morning?” he asked and I nodded before he kissed me softly “I’ll meet you at the coffee shop at 10” “Yeah okay” I said. “Well I’ll see you then, night Summer,” he stated kissing me again before leaving and I smiled as I walked into my flat.