The Doctor Knows Best

8

“Isn’t that your doctor from the hospital?” Samuel said and I nodded “What’s he doing here?” he asked and I looked away from him “We’re friends” “You weren’t friends before your spell in hospital” he replied. “I know but we’re friends now, come on Samuel be nice?” I asked and he rolled his eyes “Fine, you can bring him to dinner if you want, I’ll see you at 5” he smiled kissing my cheek before leaving.

I rolled my eyes getting changed and I woke Bradley up “I’m awake what’s going on?” he said jumping and I laughed, “You fell asleep that’s what happened” “You weren’t wearing that before were you?” he asked and I shook my head. “Have I missed a whole day again?” he joked and I laughed “Nope but you did miss a visitor, Samuel came over whilst you were asleep” I answered and he groaned rubbing his eyes.

“I always miss that guy” “Yeah well you could see him again in a bit if you want” I replied “Why is he coming back here?” he asked “No but I am going to his house for dinner and he said you can come if you like, his parents will be there along with his siblings” “Aww does he cook for everyone?” he said and I smiled shaking my head.

“He lives at home still” “What?” he asked smiling and I glared at him “He lives with his parents still, so does his siblings” I stated “You say siblings, how many is there?” “Samuel, Jonathan, Mary, Elizabeth and Mark-James” I listed and his eyes widened. I heard him mumble something “What did you say?” I asked “Nothing” “Bradley” I stated and he groaned “I said somebody obviously never paid attention in sex ed” he repeated and I rolled my eyes.

“How long have his parents been together?” “They were 24 when they got married and Samuel was born before they were both 25” I answered and he smiled “Young love hey, so they were together all that time. His dad’s the pastor right?” I nodded. “So tonight is a night of no cursing and behaving myself then?” “Yeah so watch your mouth,” I joked and he smiled.

“Hang on will it be awkward?” “Why?” I asked “Because sometimes people are a bit…judgemental of me being a doctor” “Why would they be?” I said and he shrugged. “Sometimes people judge you, I mean I’m either the best thing ever because I’m a doctor or the worst thing ever because I’m a doctor. They won’t ask religion questions will they?” he stated and I shook my head.

“Good I don’t like them questions” “Why?” I asked “Because I don’t go to church and I never have, when people talk about it it makes me feel strange. Like I’m a lesser person for not going” he admitted and I smiled as I sat next to him. “You know that’s a stereotype of people who go to church right? I don’t do it to you” I stated and he nodded.

“But they’re pastors…” “Correction, he’s a pastor. Samuel helps out and he studied it at college, he’s a kids pastor right now” I informed and he looked at me. “You’ve never been to church before?” he shook his head “Well we have a kids service, 18 and under do a service after the main one or they can just come to that one and Samuel’s in charge of it. He’s good with the kids” I explained and he smiled.

“So how long do I have to prepare?” “About 20 minutes” I admitted and he smiled “You don’t have to come you know” “Yeah but you always talk about them and they invited me so I’ll come and be the perfect young man” he joked and I laughed. “You spend a lot of time with them don’t you?” he asked “Yeah they were really good when I moved here and Samuel’s great, the whole family are really nice. They’re like my second family” I explained.

“Well I better impress them then haven’t I?” he joked and I smiled as I sat next to him. “What’s Samuel’s last name?” “Richards” I stated and he nodded. “So is your stomach feeling okay?” he asked and I nodded “Good” he said smiling at me “You won’t fall asleep will you?” I asked and he laughed nodding resting his head on my shoulder.

“I’ve been up since 2 this morning” “Yeah and you’ve slept a lot of it haven’t you?” I said and he shook his head but I knew he had “I’ve had about 4 hours sleep roughly” he admitted and I smiled. “Your so lazy” “Hey no I’m not! I just sleep when I’m not busy. I’m a busy guy dammit” he joked and I laughed at him.

He kissed my neck making me smile “Your so comfy” “Shame that we’ve got to get up then isn’t it,” I stated as I got up and he groaned doing the same. I pulled my shoes on as he did the same and we walked out the house, I felt his fingers push through mine as we walked down the street “Pretty I’ve got this dinner thing through work next week and I was wondering would you want to come with me?” he asked and I smiled.

“You don’t have to but I thought you could be my date” “Yeah okay” I replied and he smiled kissing my cheek. We got to Samuel’s house and I knocked on the door “Summer how are you?” Samuel said hugging me and I nodded “Samuel this is Bradley” I introduced and Samuel nodded.

“It’s nice to meet you and sorry I was asleep before, it’s been a long shift,” Bradley explained shaking his hand and Samuel nodded “It’s fine, come in” he replied. We walked in and I introduced Bradley to the family “So your stitches are out now Summer, are you feeling better?” Samuel’s dad asked and I nodded.

“I feel a lot better Mr Richards thank you” I replied and he nodded “Are you busy with your college work?” “Yes, I’m trying to get as much done as I can so I can get it passed quicker” I answered and he smiled at me. “So Bradley what do you do for work?” he asked and Bradley looked up at him “I’m a doctor sir” “You are? What kind of doctor?” Samuel’s dad said looking interested.

“Medical, I work in emergency medicine” “So you like it?” he asked and Bradley nodded “I complain about the hours but I do like it, it pays well and its nice to know your helping someone and when someone gets better you feel happy that you were able to help them” Bradley explained.

“Surely it’s difficult when things don’t go to plan?” “Yeah it is and for the first few times you really feel it but you have to learn that you did all you could and that sadly it’s a part in life. I’m afraid to say it comes to us all but I don’t like to dwell on it” Bradley admitted and he nodded “So do you work at the hospital locally?” “Yeah I do, that’s where I met Summer. She tells me you’re a pastor, is that something you always wanted to do or did you fall into it?” Bradley asked and Samuel’s dad smiled.

“I wanted to be a stunt bike rider when I was a kid but my mother told me to have a back up plan so I went for this" he explained smiling.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lots of new stories and old stories saved up so I'm updating ad uploading everything and then going back to them...so expect this for a lot of stories but check out my other stories as I have a wide range of them! :) Thanks!