Status: active.

Ruled by Fate

three

Harry sat with Nahla at lunch everyday for another three weeks. They didn't talk. Harry would say hello to her when he sat down, and she would do her One Nod and look the other way. Harry doesn't know why she doesn't talk to him, or even say a greeting to him. He hasn't been mean to her at all; he's hardly said a word to her outside the usual questions of what homework they had for English.

But she just stares off blankly, as if she's thinking. And Harry would give anything to spend a day in that head of hers. He'd love to know what was swimming around in there. 

It was a Friday when he got the flu. It was just a twenty-four hour bug, but it still made Harry feel like absolute shit and miss school. His mother fussed over him before she went to work and made him stay in bed. Harry didn't mind; his body felt like it was a million pounds, and his head spun every time he sat up. Besides, lying down helped ease the nausea a bit. But that still didn't completely stop him from stumbling to the bathroom and throwing up the acid that was left in his stomach. By the end of the day, Harry had been practically vomiting out his internal organs because that was all that was left.

Harry, despite feeling like death, missed Nahla. He missed her ignoring him in homeroom, English, and lunch. And yeah, it was nice to be away from school, but Nahla was at school, and he missed Nahla.

Louis, one of his best friends he met at summer camp a few years back, who had a day off from school, drove up to Harry's the day Harry was sick. Harry had told him he was sick and that he shouldn't come because he didn't want Louis to catch what he had, but Louis, being the stubborn boy he was, came up anyway to stay the night.

Louis made him some slightly watery chicken noodle soup that Harry had to choke down a little. It wasn't that it wasn't good, but Harry's stomach churned at just the sight of food in general. But Louis insisted Harry eat something, even if it made him vomit. At least he was getting something in his stomach.

Harry had a great time with Louis that day and night. They had migrated to the living room with bundles of blankets and pillows to make a large fort (that Harry's mother rolled her eyes at and mumbled about two grown boys making childish forts) as they watched their favorite movies in a nonstop marathon that Harry had dazed in and out of. Louis had been determined to watch all of them.

It was nice being with Louis; Harry hadn't realized how much he missed him until that day. Louis was absolutely hilarious to be around, and was a great story teller. But most of all, Louis was a fantastic listener, and Harry found himself rambling about the mysterious girl from school, and he hadn't even noticed it until Louis said, "God, man, you've been talkin' about this bird for ten minutes now! You so fancy her!"

"I do not!" Harry had quickly defended, his voice nasally and a bit muted because he could hardly hear out of his ears. 

Louis rolled his blue eyes with a smirk. "Right, because talking for five minutes straight about how a girl gives one nod to everything is just common observances."

"I don't like her," Harry mumbled, fingers tugging at the edge of the down blanket in his lap. A feather was sticking out and he pulled at it, watching it come out. He hadn't thought about it to be honest. Did he fancy Nahla Sparrow? Yeah, she was pretty with her wavy hair and hazel eyes. But other than that, Harry found her to be stand-offish, mysterious, and a bit rude. Had she even noticed he was gone today? If she had, was she glad? Or did she wait for his usual greeting in homeroom? No, Harry didn't like her. Nahla would never give him the time of day anyways.

"Whatever you say, mate. Now, let's order a pizza. I'm starving," Louis said, grabbing at his phone.

--------

Louis left the next day around noon after they woke up. Harry felt like his old self again, and he praised the heavens for it. He hated being sick. 

He wasn't ashamed to give Louis a long hug goodbye. They wouldn't physically see each other for a while again, and they wanted to cherish the last few moments they had together. Harry had offered for Louis to stay the weekend, but Louis sadly declined, saying he had to get home for a family party later that night, but promised to come back another weekend when he was off so they could hang out longer. Harry said he liked that plan, and that maybe they could get the rest of the lads to come out as well, to which Louis agreed wholeheartedly, saying he missed Niall's Irish ass.

Harry said to send his love to Louis' family and girlfriend, and Louis said the same for Harry's family, and told Harry to keep him updated on the progress of Nahla. Harry promised he would, and waved at Louis until he couldn't see his car anymore.

Harry was sad the rest of the weekend. It seemed like the long hours of the night just hadn't been enough time with his best friend. He wanted more time with him, but sadly Louis lived a few hours away, and the two couldn't be together as often as they wanted.

For the rest of the weekend, Harry moped around and texted his other three best friends, expressing that he missed them and wanted to get together soon. They all said the same, wanting to meet up at a time where the five of them could be together, and Harry knew that was hard. Niall was all the way in Ireland, and Zayn, Louis, and Liam lived in all different parts of England. The five of them had different school schedules too, and personal schedules as well, making it near impossible for the five of them to meet up at the same time. But somehow, at least once a month, they found the perfect free weekend, and got to spend it together, usually spending it at one of their houses, and Harry had some of his best memories during those times.

Harry really missed his best friends. And Nahla. He wondered if he could have both.
♠ ♠ ♠
i just really love this chapter with louis, omfg. their friendship in this one gives me lovely feels c:

So yeah, did you like it? The feedback has been incredible! So thank you for that! I'm so tired right now. I had to work (I'm a soccer ref) from 7-230 today, and now I have to get ready for my school's homecoming, and ugh, I hardly even want to go anymore because I'm so exhausted. Anyways, yeah, enough about me complaining, sorry. I just needed to vent a little.

In honor of the small larry stylinson moment, ahw:
Image

-marley