I'm Looking for Something More Than This

Bring On The States!

“Sophie! Sophia! Sophie! Over here!”

That was all I heard as I left the recording studio late in the evening. Once my bodyguard got me safely into my SUV, free from the paparazzi, I let out a heavy sigh. Just another day in the life of me I guess.

Once the vehicle took off, I tried to relax. My journey home was probably going to be slow. It wasn’t going to sit well with me being up for eighteen straight hours anyway. I just needed some time to rest my eyes and…

“BRIIIIIING…”

Clutching my eyes tightly together, I brought my phone up to my ear. Without even looking at it, I answered.

“Where are you?!” my manager snapped at me. He seemed annoyed… exactly how I love to talk to him…

“I just left the studio,” I huffed.

“Now?! You were supposed to be gone three hours ago! You have a meeting with your label!” he was getting frustrated… more than he already was.

“Can’t it wait until tomorrow,” I moaned, just wanting to get in bed and lay there until morning.

“No! This is important!”

“Dad,” I broke and put my head in my hand.

“I’ll send the address to your driver,” he totally disregarded my plead.

Knowing I wasn’t going to win, I just hung up. I love my dad… but I can’t take it when he’s in manager mode! Be my father when I need you to be! Ever since I got my record deal when I was fifteen, he’s been like this… I hate it!

“Everything ok, Miss Nelson?” my bodyguard, Troy, questioned after I let out another heavy sigh.

“Same old, Troy,” I assured him.

“I know you get a little tired sometimes, but…”

“Yeah, I know… I have to be fortunate,” I cut him off.

He went on to give the ‘not everyone gets this opportunity’ speech. I’ve heard it so any times before. I blocked it out as I watched the lights pass by on my to the record label offices. They’re probably going to gripe at me for something stupid that I didn’t say right in an interview or something. I just wanted to go home and sleep!

When the SUV stopped, I got out on my own and entered the building. My dad was waiting for me with his phone pressed to his ear, talking rather nicely to whoever was on the other end. I rolled my eyes as I walked past him, knowing where I needed to go. I’ve been there a time or two.

“Soph, wait!” he called after me before the elevator could open. Should have taken the stairs. “Yeah, yeah, she’s here! We’re coming,” he muttered into his phone while stepping into the lift before me.

Keeping my comments to myself, I stepped inside and hit the button to the designated floor. Halfway through our vertical journey, my dad finally put his phone in his pocket. Before I could even let him know about my day, he started up again.

“This is it, Soph! Your big break in the States!” he was so excited now.

“Wait, what?!” I shot back.

“We’re going to America!” he beamed.

“But I don’t…”

“I know! You can’t believe it! It’s going to happen this time!” he went ranting on.

I held in all of my protests though. I didn’t want to do this! The label already tried to push me into the American market. It didn’t work! My music hasn’t changed! I don’t see the outcome changing either!

The rest of the ride in the lift, my dad kept rambling on about how this was going to work. I didn’t want any part of this! Inside my head, everything was screaming not to do this! My mouth stayed shut though. I’ve learned to do that a lot in this industry.

Once the doors opened, my dad scurried out, waltzing right into the conference room. Following, I went on to fall into one of the chairs, wanting so desperately to not be here! My dad seemed like he was spazing out like a stupid child.

“Sophie and I have talked it over, and we would be delighted to give America another try,” he was quick to speak.

This was the first time I was hearing about his! My anger started to bubble up, but of course my lips didn’t move.

“Is this true, Soph?” the head of the label, Roy, questioned, looking at me with kind eyes.

“Yep… I’m excited,” I forced a smile.

One filled his face as well before turning back to my dad. They went on to talk about what would happen. Apparently, another artist was heading across the pond too. At least I wouldn’t fail alone I guess, but then Roy dropped a huge bomb.

“You won’t be making the trip with her this time, Richard.”

“I what?” my dad seemed dumbfounded.

“Since there’s someone already going that can do your job, there’s no need for you to go,” Roy explained.

“But, sir…” he tried to battle back.

Even though I had no real facial expression, I was smiling so brightly on the inside. Suddenly, I was excited for this trip across the pond. If my dad’s staying behind, bring on the States!
♠ ♠ ♠
Woo! Posting a new story... finally! lol

Sophie

comment??