Status: Updates will come wen I can manage them.

Rivalries

Chapter 2: The Challenge Victor

"Ready?" Fawns looked over at me, a playful smile on his broad face ashe asked me.

"I was born ready!" I replied, he tilted his head at me questionly.

"Don't you mean hatched?" he asked, chuckling with sarcasm.

"Be quiet, you know what I meant!" I replied to him, playfully knocking the side of his head with my scaly paw. We walked side by side over to the glistening water, the river was a brilliant blue and clear as glass. As I wavered over the surface, searching for the slimy creature I would soon call my lunch, I leaned slightly closer to the rippling water and caught a glimpse of a large catfish, cupping my paw into the cool water. I soon speared the fish with one of my claws and pulled it out, the water dripping down its sides as it began to quiver around, losng its strength; trying to escape back into the water.

"Ha! I already have one! What's going on with you Fawns?"I asked, looking over at him as I tautingly held the fish up.

"These fish just don't like me!" He chuckled, reaching out to claim it as his own, I shook my head and laughed.

"Nope, mine!" I laughed again, placing the tail fin between my first few teeth, I could hear the frail bones of the now dead fish crackle as they bagan to diminish under the power of my jaws. He chuckled and I took off running, the fish whomping against the sides f my face but, I was having to much fun to grow irritated by it.

Fawns ran behind me, stumbling like his usual clumsy self. I could hear the thumping of his paws behind me and knew by the growing noise that he was trying to use his abilities for an adavantage, this was something I would not tolerate; no matter how amusing. If he wanted to do this, why couldn't I?

As I ran, Fawns slowly and gradually growing behind me, I decided to use my abilities for an advantage as well. The first I decided to use was the basic element of earth. I set my gaze on a large oak, it had a large round trunk and numerous branches. After my thoughts had focused in on the tree I waited until just the right moment. I still had a good lead but, I knew Fawns would soon catch up. Taking a few more steps until I was safely on one side, Fawns on the other, I simply let the tree fa;; and serve as a barrier between the two of us.

"Hey, that's not fair!" Fawns calld from the opposite side.

"I don't know; it seems fair to me!" Ilaughed and replied.

"What'd I do to you?" he replied.

"Well, you were using you powers so I used mine!"

"Fine! I promise I won't anymore, just help me move this thing and we can fish again, okay?" he ased.

"Okay!" I replied. Since the tree was basically dead now, we would have to move it manually.

After we had moved the oak we returned to the river. A small bounty of fish had drifted into the gentle flow of the water. Fawns easily caught two of the salmon, letting them slither down his throat.

He was almost aways a better fisher than me; that is when we were catching them fairly. Every once in awhile, mainly for a joke, I would do something to the water; such as pulling the flow closer to me so it would be easier to catch the fish.

Although he often found itsome what humurous, there were other times he would not accept it; like I did that morning. By the end of the morning we had devoured several fish and I was declared the challenge victor.

The rest of the morning was spent by the river with the sun glowing warmly on our scales. This was the same lifestyle we had often taken in during our younger years. It was nice to endure the relaxedfeeling that came with it again. I opened my eyes slightly, looking around at the familiar scenery, me and Fawns had always came here when we wanted to just lie around.

No matter how many times I returned to the forest; where the sun filtered down through the leaves and caused a green glare, I saw beauty in every aspect of the area. Whether it be in the water , ground, foliage, or the barely seen peaks of the mountains above the tree line. I always saw something that had changed between the time I had left and returned.