Status: Updated every two weeks ish. Character pages up soon.

One More Night

Jar of Hearts

January 2004

It had been about eight months since he moved out of South Carolina to Seattle. His job was great, they had paid for his school as well as his apartment. Everything was starting to fall into place.

The apartment was nice, lots of windows, just how Bella would want it. He had been home sick since the moment his plane landed, just wishing he could jump right back on the plane and see her, make sure she was okay and doing fine. The shrill ringing bringing him right back to the present as he slowly walked across the tiled floor to get to the kitchen.

He grumbled as he placed the cool plastic of his phone to his ear. “Hello?” He started to knot the tie that was hanging loosely around his neck, waiting for a response from the person on the other end.

“How are you parker?” he smiled a little as his mother’s melodic voice filled his ears.

“I’m great mom. Classes are great as well as work. I’m getting into the business aspect more now. How are you and dad?” He heard the shuffling of feet across the floor and then muffled voices, which he figured, were his siblings who were most likely causing a ruckus at the house.

“That’s good darling. Have you been going out at night, seeing anyone lately?” His mother could always press for information and make it seem like she was just a curious individual. How his mother could act that way had always baffled him and made him curious as to how much of it was southern charm and how much was actually her being rude.

He walked back to the window that faced the skyline of Seattle and tried to ignore his mother’s questions until she finally scolded him “Mother,” he was very annoyed at her because she was pushing for information he didn’t want to give at this point. “I haven’t been on any dates, no girls, nothing.” He looked down at the floor as he finished getting ready to leave for work. “I’ve got to go mother, I have to work. I’ll talk to you later give my love to everyone.”

The phone line went dead while he looked around the apartment making sure he had everything he would need for the day. His schedule for the day was looking busy and would have very little time for anything besides work and class. He did one last once over the apartment as he was standing outside the threshold of his apartment. He closed the heavy door behind him as he walked down the stairs thinking of Bella and how one day he would be reunited with her and finally have a chance to be with her like they had once promised.

Image


Bella looked out the window watching the waves slowly roll into the sand of the beach and back out to join the rest of the ocean. She felt at peace looking at the ocean but the peace was soon broken by a sharp pain in her lower stomach. “Momma, something isn’t right.” She quickly looked over to her mom and quickly back at to her bulging stomach.

Her mother glanced over to her and saw the wet sand beneath her daughter. She scrambled to her feet and stood before her daughter. “Come on baby, we’ve gotta get you to the hospital.” She tugged and tugged on Bella’s hands and brought her to a standing position. The pair walked to the car and rushed off towards the hospital. “How are you feeling?”

She looked over at her mom and smiled, “Mother, I’m fine can we just get to the hospital. I want this out of me, it’s hurting.” She gritted her teeth as she squeezed her eyes shut. “Why does this hurt so bad mom? Why did this happen?” She knew every answer to that question she just didn’t really want her mother to answer that question. She knew what had caused her to be pregnant it was freaking Parker.

It had been graduation night and they knew he was going to be off to Seattle in a matter of weeks. They decided to give each other one last night before he left. How she had done something so stupid and unthinkable. Now eight months later she was pregnant with Parkers kid and she was going to have a piece of him every moment of her life. She hated herself for holding onto that part of him.

The pain pulsated through her body as she tried to hold back the scream she wanted release as the contraction rolled through her. She had always had a high tolerance for pain but this baby had taken any tolerance for pain away from her. She was angry at this child, she hadn’t wanted a kid at 18 as she was going through her first semester of college.

She saw the highway pass a little quicker than it should have on a typical day. She saw the hospital getting closer as the car kept speeding forward. She looked back over at her mother, “I can’t do this mom. How am I supposed to raise this kid alone?” She started to panic, her breaths coming in and out short and heavy.

“Breath, you’ll figure out how to do it on your own when the baby gets here.” Bella looked at her mother and didn’t understand how she was so calm, her only child was having a baby and wasn’t even married, and she was the gossip of the small town that they resided in. She was so disappointed in herself that she was starting to lose sight of having the baby. She was starting to lose her vision as people flocked to her.

She woke to cries. Her eyes wouldn’t open, the lids felt as if she had tape on them. She wanted to open her eyes but they just wouldn’t. Slowly her eyelids began to open, but the lights were too bright to keep them opened. She tried once more to open her eyes and saw the room spinning. She heard the cries again and tried to find them. “Want to see your baby?” She couldn’t respond as she felt a small weight placed on her chest.

She looked down and saw a small baby placed on her chest, “It’s a girl” She smiled to herself as she saw the beautiful baby, the only part of her previous life that she would every have a part of. This little girl was her whole world now and she just realized this with one look.

The doctors took the baby back to make sure she was okay. Bella felt her world shift in to place as she finally realized just how precious the child that she had given life to was. She wanted to have her baby back. “Can I see her again?” She spoke up as she looked at her mother asleep in a reclining chair.

Bella smiled as she took in the look of her small family. She felt her baby placed in her arms again and she looked at her trying to think of a name because she knew she couldn’t just hand her off to her mom as she had planned and play it off like it was her sister. “Do you have a name picked out?”

She knew that she hadn’t yet picked out a name but she knew in that instant what she wanted her baby to name, “Lily Paige” She smiled back at the nurse and kissed her baby girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the second chapter to this contest

Hope you enjoy tell me what you think.

-S