Status: I promise it'll be cliche | Reviving!

That Summer

five

“I’m alright!” a girl yelled from behind the wall. Robbie and Henry laughed and carried on talking like nothing had happened, but Silken still stood still, not really sure what was going on.

A girl emerged from a hidden doorway, a guilty smile plastered on her face and a pile of books in her arms. She tiptoed towards a shelf and gently placed the books on top, looked around, and slowly backed away.

“Hey Vic, didn’t expect to see you here so earlier,” Robbie said, causing the girl to spin around and put her hands on her hips. She stared at him for a second, tilted her head to the side and then her face broke out into a smile.

“Fancy meeting you here, stranger!” she exclaimed, running over to give him a hug. Her smile seemed contagious, spreading onto Robbie’s face as quickly as it had appeared on hers, and they started talking in quick, short sentence that Silken found herself lost in. She stood behind them, running her hands along the spines of the books and waiting. Just as she was about to walk out Robbie turned to her, grabbed her hand, and pulled her toward the both of them.

“This is Silken,” he said as the girl wrapped her arms around her. “She’s down for the summer.”

“It’s so amazing to meet you! I’m Victory,” the girl yelled, a smile still spread on her face. She seemed to be oblivious to how loudly her voice was, ringing throughout the small store. Silken pretended not to notice, since no one else seemed to either.

“When does your shift end?” Robbie asked Victory before she turned away. She stood still for a minute, looked up at an invisible spot on the roof, before Henry spoke up.

“Once she cleans up her mess, she’s free to leave. I’m sure I can handle the line just waiting to get into our fantastic store,” he said, causing a bubble of laughter to rise up in Silken.

They waited around, Silken picking up random books and reading the last page, finding out how the stories ended without knowing the beginnings. It was her favourite way to read books, already having the end in mind before she started. It took the guess work and surprises out of it, so she knew how the happily ever after would turn out. Robbie and Henry chatted quietly, catching up on things that happened over the last few days and before they knew it, Victory emerged from the back with a smile on her face.

“Let’s go do some exploring, shall we?” Robbie asked, and they made their way out of the store and onto the street.
♠ ♠ ♠
I've actually had this chapter written for a while, I just got preoccupied with other things and never went back to edit it. I've been re-inspired by fantastic YA books though so hopefully I'll be posting more, longer chapters soon.

Let me know what you think? (: