Status: long hiatus

How to Be Social for Beginners

Chapter five

"I see you've found one of our fencers," a voice said from behind me.

Kai raised his hand up and waved slightly, "Hi, coach," he said. I quickly drop his hands and almost immediately, I missed the contact between our hands. I turned around and saw this tall man wearing breeches, holding a foil blade. His breeches, socks and sword were from Ulhmann. I was surprised; not many can afford to buy from Ulhmann. He was leaning on his fencing bag while smirking at us.

I stared at him for a few more moments and then said, "Hi."

The corners of his lips curled up and he said, "I saw your fight a while ago. Your on guard is perfect. How many months have you been fencing?"

My mouth opened to speak but someone cut me off, "She's been fencing for 4 months."

The man turned around and he grinned from ear to ear as he said, "Edmund! It's been a long time. I was in the U.K. for the past few days. Did you cover for me?"

My coach laughed and replied, "Yeah, of course I did."

"Anyways, your student is amazing. I mean, 4 months? Her on guard is relaxed and perfect, her footworks are small and her attacks are precise and fast. I've seen a lot of people fence but it's so rare to see someone like her," he rambled. Despite the awkwardness and the somewhat nonexistent tension, I was loving the attention. The man turned to me and stated seriously, "I want you to join the AFF."

I looked side to side and behind me but they were all absored in the fight. I meekly asked as I pointed to myself, "Me?"

The man nodded and crossed his arms over his chest, "Of course, it's you. If you're wondering about your coach, it will still be Edmund because he teaches sabre in the AFF. Oh, how would I love to teach you but unfortunately, I fence foil."

My coach looked at me and grinned, "She can join," and I said at the same time, "I want to join."

"But I have one question, a very crucial question which will determine whether I will join willingly or not," I said seriously. I pointed at Kai and asked, "Does he fence sabre in the AFF?"

After an awkward silence, the man howled from laughter. He clutched his stomach from the pain. But after he calmed down, he said, "Yes. Yes, he is."

I pursed my lips and then I said, "Okay, another question. Are there a lot of teens in that team?"

"Yes, of course. From all over the country!"

I nodded at him and held my hand out, "Then I'm in."

First step to being social - checked.