A Collection of Short Stories

Running Away From Death

A cry escaped Viola’s lips as she saw her parents on the floor lifeless. Dead. She closed her eyes, not wanting to take in the situation. She couldn’t bring herself to believe it. She simply couldn’t just accept the fact that her parents, the people she loved the most, were gone forever because of a monster who went around town murdering everybody! How could she move on from this? Viola tried to regain her sanity, willing herself not to cry in front of her sister. She willed herself to stay strong for her younger sister.

Viola opened her eyes, hoping that when she did, the situation would be different: her mom in the kitchen, cooking dinner; her dad sitting on the couch, reading the papers. Deep inside, she knew that those things would never happen again. The thought only brought more pain in her heart. Her sister was down on her knees now, kneeling and crying beside her parents, but Viola could do nothing but stand and watch the tragedy unfolding in front of her eyes. Anger and blame made her shake tremendously, making her want to find X and put everything to a stop.

When her words failed her and her actions could no longer amount to anything, she ran. And that was what she did now. She ran away from her house, confused and angry, angry and confused. What could she do? Nothing - and the fact that she knew made her even angrier. She ran and ran for all that she had, for all that was taken away, from all that was gone. She ran, hoping that when she came back, she would find peace.