C'est de l'amour

Mulan

A war was raging in Europe and the United States watched from an ocean away. The country was stuck in an abyss for an entire decade–business gone, jobs lost, peoples' lives tarnished. The American people suffered for too long.

Mulan stared at the photo in her hands, with a sad smile on her face. She remembered every single detail of the exact day it was taken. It was during the time where America was alive and raging. Everyone was happy. She stood beside her brother with a great, toothy smile on her face. Ping had a lanky arm around her and held the plush toy dragon that he won at the carnival.

They were so happy.

"Mulan!" her mother called.

She stood up, setting the photo down. She wiped the stray tears from her eyes and descended the stairs where she met her mother in the kitchen.

"Yes, mother?"

Her mother looked too exhausted. She delved into making everything perfect around the house so she didn't have to have a moment's rest where her mind would think about everything she didn't want to think about. Mulan wished she could do that, but no matter what, her mind could not focus.

"Can you get some milk? The milkman didn't come today and I need it for tonight's dinner," her mother said. Mulan nodded her head and fixed her clothes before she stepped outside, into the sun. It was cold, but Mulan didn't feel anything. She walked through her neighborhood where she saw the little boys playing with their toy guns and their basketballs, and the little girls with their dresses and fashion shows, and none of them have any idea what is going on.

"Oh, that's Mulan?" she heard the voices. She always heard them everywhere she went.

"Poor thing," someone said. "The Fa family must be devastated."

She tried blocking them out, but she clouded her mind and echoed in her ears. The Fa family must be devastated. The Fa family must be devastated. The Fa family must be–

"Excuse me," a deep voice said.

Mulan barely glanced at him and she kept her head down and stepped away.

"Sorry," she mumbled. He ignored her and reached for the milk.

"Shang?" one of the voices that rang in her head said, approaching them. "Is it true? Are you shipping out? Is everyone shipping out?"

The man nodded his head. "We start training in a week."

The woman made a noise that sounded between a sigh and a whimper. Mulan turned away, quickly. She paid for the milk and rushed home. She dashed into her room, locked the door, and cried into her pillow. She cried for hours and hours before she stood up, wiped the tears from her bloodshot eyes, and slowly walked over to her desk and picked up the paper she had been thinking about for weeks.

THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA,

To Fa, Ping J.
Order Number 1255 Serial Number 1800
GREETING: Having submitted yourself to a local board composed of your neighbors for the purpose of determining the place and time in which you can best serve the United States in the present emergency, you are hereby notified that you have now been selected for immediate military service.


Mulan closed her eyes. When she opened them, she knelt down and pulled the suitcase out from underneath her bed. She packed it a week ago, but she opened it every day just to make sure everything was in it's place.

She was shipping out in a week. Ping didn't die for nothing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mulan is my favorite (along with Rapunzel), so I'm hella excited for this. I just finished rewatching it and aldjsdksad, dying. Leave some comments so we know what you're thinking!
-Nev :)