A Servant for a Mate

Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I watched him from the shadows. The way my handsome mate stood strong in a crowded room of hungry piranhas. I loved to watch the way his tight fitted clothes hugged his built body perfectly. I loathed how my erotic mate was such a womanizer.

The one man I was born to make happy would never want me. I’m a nobody according to everyone that isn’t a servant and I’ve made sure the last eight years it’s stayed that way.

Since I am a nobody, I could never be with my true mate. A Prince can never be with a servant even if she is his true mate. There was no law against it; it's just how things have been done. Who would want to follow or listen to a Princess that was a servant? No one, that's who!

When I wasn't working with my mother I would watch him in the halls or ballroom. I know creeper right? He is my mate so it's all good in the end, if I’m his stalker; I think. It didn’t help that Annabelle; my werewolf, would continuously push me towards him. It takes all my will power to not go towards him when he is with another female, even if she isn’t trying to get in to his tight fitted pants. I’ve seen his legs in shorts once and let me tell you they are to die for; so strong and powerful. I wouldn’t mind running my hands up and down them one day.

Those thoughts always made me blush and run away. I didn’t have the right to think that way; I rejected him so I needed to deal with it. If I hadn’t been a stupid little girl at the age of ten, I would be happily mated to him right now. Not a servant cleaning the banisters, but walking by his side while he threw a smile at me here and there. That’s not how it is though.

When he wasn’t taking care of royal business or trying to find me, he was entertaining someone from the royal court or one of the many females that loved his attention; in and out of the bedroom.

At night there was always a new woman in his bed. He rarely goes for the same one twice. It's like he is looking for his mate and thinks that if he sleeps with every female wolf he will find me. That proves to me how much he is thinking with his lower half then with his real brain.
That's what hurt the most, me seeing him with them. I was his mate, me, not them, Me. But he would never know that. I would never tell him. For his sake, I would keep my promise and never tell him. I didn’t want to see him looked down upon for having a weak servant girl for a mate.
‘He is our mate, why won’t you let us be with him?’ I heard the ache in her words. Annabelle has not once followed my path of thinking. If she could force me into his arms, she would have the moment we knew of each other.

“You know why Annabelle, I shouldn’t have to explain it to you every time we see him.”

‘’If you allowed us to be with him, then you would know how his skin felt against ours. How his voice floats over it sending shivers down our body to the point where we are begging him to end the suffering. Give him the right to please us as woman. You know you want to, why do you keep denying yourself his touch?’’

“I can’t. I want to so badly, but I can’t. I won’t mate with a man whore.”

“He is only a man whore because you have denied him what he was born to have. We are rightfully his by the fates and law. We belong to him and you know that sooner or later you will give in and he will own us,” she growled.

“He will never own us; I will never let it happen, Annabelle.” Even if I desperately wanted him to.

“Why do I have to be a wolf to such a stupid human?” If she could roll her eyes at me, she would be doing it right now.

“Hey, I’m not stupid; I just don’t want to be with a man whore.”

“He wasn’t a man whore until you rejected him. How can you not realize that?”

I had no answer. It was true, but that didn’t change the fact that he was still a man whore.

“You know I’m right. He only became one because he was so crushed and it was the only way for him to block us out. We are the reason he is in so much pain. Even though he doesn’t know who we are or that we haven’t mated yet, I can still feel his wolf and he is hurting. We have broken them down and spit on them. Why can’t you just give up and end the torture for both our sakes,” she pleaded.

“I’m weak that’s why. I messed up and now I can’t deal with the fact that I was irresponsible and want to be with him. He won’t ever forgive us and you know that.”

“He was made for us; of course he will forgive us. Now march your butt over there and tell him who we are.”

“No.”

“I hate you, you know that Claudia. You aren’t just denying your mate, but mine. I want to be with Marcus and you won’t let me. He thinks that I don’t want him when in truth he is all I can think about, all I want in life.”

I didn’t respond to her after that. I hated it sometimes when she talked to me. Deep down I knew she was telling me the truth, but I couldn’t make myself go to him. I just couldn’t.

Shaking my head I stand and watch as he talked with a blond, I didn't know her name. I never cared to learn who they were. I watched as her hand rubbed up and down his arm while she pushed her boobs in his face. Can anyone say slut? I've seen her before and just like every other female wolf out there all she wants is for him to mate with her. If he mates with her then she will become his Princess and the next Queen regardless if she is his true mate or not. The thing she doesn’t know is that Caden can only get his true mate pregnant, that is unless she is dead then the fates allow him one more mate to choose on his own to bare his children. The thought of not having any little ones running around my feet tares my heart to shreds; I’ve always wanted to hear their laughs or tinny feet running down the halls.

You may be wondering how I know that he is my mate, but he doesn’t. Well that's easy, I'm a servant and one night during a royal ball I accidentally bumped into him setting the sparks off. Yes, sparks do appear when soul mates bump into each other. We can look into each others eyes also, but as a servant I must never look into a royal's eyes, it's disrespectful.

The moment I felt the sparks I ran away as fast as my tiny little legs could carry me. I was only ten at the time. I knew what they meant, but seeing as I was a servant girl I grew up thinking I would be the mate of another servant; not the Prince of werewolves; never that!

It didn't help that Annabelle was yelling at me to go back to our mate when I started to run from him.

“Mate, must let him mark us.”

“No, he can never have us. We are not good enough for him.”

“I don’t care, he is our mate and he will love us no matter who we are. He was made for us as we are made for him. Now go back to him and let him claim us as his.”

“No, I’m too scared; I can’t.”

“He won’t hurt us, but love us as his one true love!”

“You’re lying. Now please go away!”

She didn't say a word after that even though I felt her fuming. She was furious at me that I was rejecting our mate. I had to though, it was better if he never knew who his true mate was. A lowly servant would not make a good Princess.

I know he felt the sparks, but unlike me he stood there staring at my back unbelieving. Within seconds I could hear him racing after me, but I was faster and had a head start. By the time I hit the forest entrance he was just making it out of the castle. He didn’t stand a chance, the moment my feet passed through the forest I transformed into my white wolf, running as fast as I could. I knew within moments I had lost him. The castle may belong to him, but the paths inside and out I knew better than the back of my hand.

The one I was supposed to be with, was now far behind me and would never know who I was; all because I was too scared to confront him. Yes, I may tell you it was because I thought he was a flirt, but I could look past that in the end. I was a stupid ten year old, who didn’t know what to do so I ran.

I was still connected to the packs link when he used his Alpha voice, I heard him talking to his father through my parents. Apparently after I ran into the forest he ran to his parents telling them to call all guards to form a search party. He was trying to trap me, forcing me to return to his side. I couldn’t and wouldn’t let that happen; everyone would think I’m weak because I ran.

The ball that was taking place was being held for him to find his mate. They knew why he was demanding the search and didn't take another second to do as he asked.

“See our mate want's us. He is very smart and will win in the end, just give up and let him have us. You know you love him already; so why fight it.”

Stupid wolf doesn't know what she is talking about. All he wants is to become king and with a mate this early on he will never have an issue of producing an heir. I may want kids someday, but that was years from now.

“He wants us you stupid human, listen to me not your head,” she screamed at me. She was pacing in my head, but I was in control not her. I wouldn’t let her take over and turn us around.
I ignored her; it never helped to talk back. She would just make things worse.

I didn't know what happened after that. I ran as fast and as far as my tiny legs could go. I may have only been ten but I acted like a twenty-five year old. Being a servant you have to grow up fast, there is no such thing as a childhood. I knew I could never be with him so I ran for hours which turned into days, I think. I don't know how long I was gone for; to me it felts like seconds or even minutes.

I didn’t have to deal with the pack link since I crossed out of their land. A pack link can only react so far and once I passed that limit I was cut off all communication, even from my family.

When I finally came back to the castle it was in an up roar. The King, Queen and my mate were trying to find me. Not that I would have thought they would have given up on me already.

I found out by another servant while sneaking through the hallways, that after I had left they had called all the un-mated female wolves with black hair to the castle to form a line so that my mate could stare into their eyes and touch their hands. He never saw what I looked like from the front, but as I ran from him he must have seen that I had black hair. I will have to change the color to brown or maybe dirty blond. He can't find me and if he sees a servant with black hair, I have no doubt he would stop me. Apparently black was a popular color for woman now days since half of the female wolves from town were in the line. I have my doubts that once they learned that the Prince’s mate had black hair, they went and changed theirs in hopes that they were his mate; Stupid women.

Sneaking into a heavily guarded castle is not an easy thing to do, let me tell you, and when all the guards are looking for a black haired woman it was even harder to hide. The servant's wouldn't think twice of holding their tongues about me, that's if they even realized I had black hair. No other servant want's another one to become a Princess. Not all of them are as nice as my family and their friends, some are rude and insane. I'm never allowed to go anywhere unless my father or brother are with me in case anyone comes after me for their own pleasures.
Sliding past all the open doors in our hallway, I sneak into my room, which I shared with my family of three. My Father David, Mother Christina and older brother Taylor, were the only people I cared about. Running to my father I jump into his arms letting the tears come.

“Where in the fates have you been young lady? Do you know how worried we have been? We thought someone took you away and we were never going to get you back. I don't care that you did tell us that you were safe. Someone could have been forcing you to say that to make us believe you were really safe when you weren't. Don't you ever scare us like that again, do you hear me?" My father demanded in his hard tone. I knew he wasn’t that mad at me because of the glint in his eyes, but I knew better than to not say sorry. It was my father’s way of expressing how scared he was for me.

Shaking my head up and down to let them know I would never do it again. I hated that I had worried them. We all mean the world to each other and if they lost me, I don’t know what they would do or how they would deal. I know if I lost one of them, it would literally kill me.

"Now tell us what’s wrong? Why did you run away for the past couple of days? Was it something we did? “I knew I had scared my whole family. Even though I told them I was running away I never actually told them the real reason. They didn't know that their daughter was in fact now a Princess.

I was the mate of the Prince, so of course I would be a Princess even if no one really knew. Once a royal feels the sparks a tattoo appears on his or her mate marking them as royal. A royal wolf is born with it, but a mate-me- gets it when they are found and touched. The location of the tattoo changes with the royal. As for me it’s on my left butt cheek. I know right, I couldn't have gotten it on my shoulder blade or something? Nope, nothing ever happens to me that am good.
Now that I had the tattoo, I had to be extra careful. If anyone saw it that was against the crown would kill me and give my body to my mate as a gift. It would kill him to know he hadn't protected me; his mate. In the end he would go mad with grief and anger.

I had to tell my family sooner or later and it was better to tell them sooner because of the tattoo. They would be able to help me hide it. Not that I walk around naked, but the female servants share a bathroom and some of the females were vicious. They would hire a hit man to take me out. It would give them a chance to be with the prince; or so they thought.

"I found my mate father and I can never have him." The tears wouldn't stop. Looking at my small family I could see the wheels turning in each of their brains as they all came to the same conclusion that the Prince was in fact my mate.

I can remember that night as if it was yesterday, sometimes it feels as if it was.
In the end my family and I decided that we would not tell the Prince that it was I who was in fact his mate. We knew that he didn't want a servant for a mate and would hurt me in the end by rejecting me. That's how I've stayed hidden for the past eight years, no one ever thought to look at the servants. He never called us out to touch us. Well that was a lie he has called us out to form a line, I was never in the line though. I would hide somewhere in the castle making sure not to get me or my family in trouble. Afterwards I heard from ladies of the court how the Prince looked relieved to not find his mate among the servants; that only made my decision easier.

The fact that no one has seen my tattoo has helped immensely. My mother has become an artist at covering it up in the morning. I’m either the first or last person in the shower, usually the last, but if I get too tired of taking cold ones, I wake myself up extra early so that I can have a hot one.

My family has kept me a secret for almost eight years, but it might have all been for nothing. This Saturday is my eighteenth birthday, the day that every female werewolf goes into heat for the first time. The moment he wakes up, he will smell me. It has been told that for a royal distance means nothing in finding his mate. Once he wakes up and the scent of his mate attacks him his wolf goes crazy. In time he will find her, but if they think smart they will know to look in the book of births. It gives the names of each female wolf that would be going into heat each day.

The thing that scares me is that we have heard rumors where the royal mate will stay in heat until her mate finds her. It could take years to find a mate and if being in heat is as bad as I've heard then I don't think I can go through with it. I will have to find someone to mate with, rejecting him completely.

I don't want to; it would kill me to do that. Why does life have to be so complicated? Sighing I shake my head at all the problems I’ve caused in my life.

He and his wolf will be happy to finally have caught their mate that they won't notice I'm a servant until after the mating and that's when he will reject me. Tell me I'm not worth his time and it was a mistake to mate with me. His wolf will hate him for hurting me and my wolf, but he won't care because as I keep telling you I'm a servant and no one want's a weak and ugly servant as a mate or Princess.

I continued to watch him from the shadows as he walks out of the ballroom with the same blond women from earlier. I guess he liked her enough in bed last night to have her for seconds.
As I turned my back on the room heading towards my family's room, I couldn't help, but think what if I had told him it was me; that I was his mate. Would things have been different?
♠ ♠ ♠
Whatcha think? Good or bad?