Honey

Four

On a Tuesday, Max asked her out. He invited her to the Saturday market. They ate hot chips and spring rolls for breakfast, and when Millie spotted a cute purse at one of the stalls, Max quickly brought it for her. He wanted her to feel special because he didn’t think she ever had before.
He watched her with such amazement, she was far too nice and pretty to say yes, but he couldn’t help himself. He needed to ask her out.

Millie remember his stutter, the way he mixed up his words and how he said her name as if she were the first warm day after winter. Her blush was the same as the day he’d kissed her, maybe even darker. For a few moments her breath caught in the beat of her heart. She stammered and looked at the stack of apples behind. She thought of apple tart and the crunch of the pasty and warm sweetness of the apple. She thought of apple cider and watching her mother drink it from a steaming cup on cool Sunday afternoons. And she thought of the apple Danish pastry that Max had brought her just that week. And then she was thinking of Max again and the fact he’d just asked her out. How long had he been waiting for her answer while her mind instead wandered to apples?

“Oh, okay” she said in her quite voice.

She didn’t understand why he or anyone would want to date her, but secretly she felt like the moon was in her hands and the stars in her veins, happier than she had been for a long time.
♠ ♠ ♠
It's been a while, but I finally updated. I sort of forget about this story since I was writing it during the end of school/exams and then got side tracked writing other stuff. But if anyone still wants to read it, here it is!