Puff

soft

He greets the audience with the biggest smile. For an hour, an hour and fifteen minutes he is on top of the world, his adrenaline rushes and his heart pumps faster. He sings from the top of his lungs, the crowd echoes his voice in sync. He says his good-byes, goes to the after party, drinks a lot because it would be rude to refuse someone’s invitation for a pint or a shot, and goes back to his hotel room. Alone. Still under the influence, he picks up his phone from the charger, scrolling down to the letter K. He calls her to talk, to come over, to fly from across the world, to be with him. If it was any other person, she would tell him to fuck off, call him an insane prick and hang up. But it’s Mark. He’s not somebody else. He makes her smile.

So with a smile on her face and a small duffel bag she’s on the first flight to Istanbul.

Mark sits in his room. He waits, nervous, feeling like a schoolgirl. He smiles.

There is a knock on the door, and he is a little too eager to open the door. Five hour later, she is standing in front of him. They exchange glances and smiles, but no words.

Kimbra sits down on the king size hotel bed, her legs crossed Indian style, and Mark sits across from her. They don’t talk still, just sit there and smoke until the room is foggy like on autumn mornings in Paris.

They are high and mouth dried, giggling like teenagers. She points to his shirt; it was one of those shirts that had a face of a singer whose concert you have just attended. Mark has Kimbra’s face on his shirt. She leans down to kiss herself on the lips, her lips being just above his belly button. Mark feels the tingles; he feels his blood rushing. Uncertain whether it’s the drugs or something else, he doesn’t move. Instead, he lets Kimbra straighten up to match his eye level.

So close, they heads are so close, but none of them are moving.

“I have to go,” her hot and sweet breath washes over his face.

She picks up her bag, leaving Mark in his state of confusion.

Five hours later, she’s back in Paris, exhausted, but without telling a word about her last night whereabouts. She sends some funny picture to Mark, of a man in Mighty Morphin Power Ranger costume she saw on the airport, turns off her phone, avoiding temptation to call him, even just to hear his voice. She’s too young for this, she tries to convince herself. But the soft feeling of his hair on her fingers lingers even after she falls asleep.