Somedays

Chapter 2

Soft morning sunlight glimmered through the condensation on my kitchen window, caused by the kettle which was quietly steaming. I lifted it carefully from it’s stand and pored the scalding water into my boyfriend’s mug and then my own. After I had mixed the tea, I handed Josh’s cup to him, not making eye contact. I was getting wrong again, and to be honest, it was far too early for me to give a damn. I took a seat at our breakfast bar and watched as Josh leant onto the bench in front of me, taking a sip of his tea before he turned the radio down. “All I’m saying, Sean, is that it would be really great if you helped out a bit more around the house.” I had heard this speech a thousand times, and it wasn’t because I never helped, it was because Josh unfortunately loved nothing better than a good complain. This was one of the qualities that made me want to kill him and hide his remains in our local park. I looked back up at him, gulping my tea down my throat. Josh was looking at me expectantly. “Well?”

“Fine,” I sighed, finishing my tea. I stood and took the mug over to our sink where I dumped it and headed towards the arch way which was a portal to the hall way. Not really, but you know. “I’ll get the shopping in.”

“You’re not going to wash that.” Josh’s voice followed me up the stairs. It wasn’t a question, so I wasn’t going to answer. When I got to our bedroom, I stripped my boxers off and pulled some new ones out of my drawer, then quickly shoved them on. I chose out a pair of black skinny jeans and my slipknot shirt before scanning my footwear for just the right pair of shoes. I slipped on my red and black trainers, ran my fingers back through my red hair, then hurried back down the stairs to meet my boyfriend who was on his way up. I leant down a little, placing a soft kiss onto Josh’s lips then darted around him and headed for the front door. “You’re not out of trouble that easily, Smith.”

“Whatever!” I shouted back, sticking my middle finger up, playfully. It was a cold, yet bright, February morning, and my car was slightly icy on the bonnet. I wiped the frost away as best as I could, then climbed in and started the engine, letting the car heat up a little before pulling off the drive. I made a mental note to buy grit at some point, because the driveway was quite slippery and I really didn’t need my car being written off because of an ice related accident right now. I was absolutely sick of this cold weather, although, the colours that shone through my window as I drove down the lane were quite pretty. Wow Sean, be more gay.

I pulled into the supermarket car park and rebelliously parked in a disabled place. I can’t be tamed. Locking the car over my shoulder as I walked away, I flipped the keys over in my hand, whistling as I went. A warming breeze washed down on me as I entered the building, shoving my keys in my pocket, I rubbed my hands together. Now, what did I need? Probably shoes. No, Sean, we have enough shoes. When I snapped out of my daze, I had surprisingly found myself in a strange Graham Norton like pink wonderland. Actually, I was in the aisle where they sell cake mix kits for kids. That could be fun. Not the kids bit, I’m no Savile. Josh and I had never made cakes together, it could be fun.

A faint smile came to my lips as I placed the boxes of cake mix into my basket. One Bob The Builder box and one Pepper Pig box. We’re so grown up. “Sean?” For a moment I caught myself sliding back a few months ago, my body wanted to so easily turn to the man, grinning. I stopped myself though, and felt the cold shiver run down my spine as I realised who was standing right behind me. I turned slowly and gave a weak smile towards my ex boyfriend.

“I-Ian,” I stammered, wobbling on my feet a little. I hadn’t seen him since we had broken up. I hadn’t had a text, a phone call or anything. Well, apart from indirect tweets that is.

Ian’s dark green eyes shimmered from under his black fringe. He looked from me to the boxes in my basket. “Making cakes with Joshie?” He scoffed. “How sweet.” His every word was draped with sarcasm, making me feel ridiculous for being so childish. I wanted to apologise to him, to tell him again how I never meant to hurt him, but the words wouldn’t leave my mouth, so instead I stood there, looking at him blankly. I think I heard him mutter something like fine, but I couldn’t tell, and soon he was walking back out of my life, just like I did to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm physically and emotionally exhausted.
Image