Status: I'm working on it.

Summer I'll Never Forget

Chapter One

I can’t believe it. My parents said yes. My parents actually said yes. They are really letting me go to California for the summer. Just my best friends and I with no adults. I was in shock at the fact this was true. I was getting out of Anchorage for a whole summer.

I had been in my living room explaining to my parents the trip my best friends and I had been planning all year. The plan was to spend the summer before our senior year in California. I have a feeling the main reason my parents were letting me go was because I already had most of the money saved myself. I had to get a job, but it was worth it.

As soon as my parents agreed to let me go I got up and ran out the door. I probably looked like a maniac to the pedestrians along the way, but I was to excited to care. I didn’t even hesitate when I reached Joanne’s front door. I ran straight in her house to see her sitting on her kitchen counter munching on a bag of chips. She raised her eyebrows at me. I held up my finger motioning for her to give me a minute. I held my side wheezing for a second before I caught my breath enough to speak.

“My parents said I could go!” I nearly screamed. She gave me a confused look before understanding what I was talking about and smiling. She jumped off the counter screaming happily in my ear while hugging me.

“This is going to be the best summer anyone has ever had!” Joe screamed into my ear.

“I know! I’m excited! Now come on we need to go tell Gabby.” I grabbed her arm and dragged her towards the door. She grabbed her car keys and we drove to Gabriella’s house. We walked right into her house similar to way I had at Joanne’s. We made our way to the sunroom in the back of Gabriella’s house. It had always been her favorite place to sit around. We found her laid out across a chair with Ed Sheeran coming through the speakers.

Joe put her finger to her lip in a ‘shh’ gesture and crept over to Gabby. Once she was crouched down right next to her she let out a blood-curdling scream. Gabby yelped and fell out of the chair and onto the ground. She glared at Joanne from the ground while I just stood there laughing at them.

“What are you doing here?” Gabriella asked picking her self up off of the floor.

“We came to tell you that my parents said yes. The trip is a go!” I said excitedly.

“I told you they would. I mean I am going and we all know your parents trust me.” Gabby stated leaning back in her chair. I rolled my eyes at her.

“This is going to be great. We can go to a real beach and check out all the hot California boys. If we’re lucky maybe we can get MacKenzie a boy toy while we are there.” Joanne said wiggling her eyebrows suggestively at me.

“Don’t forget all the shopping. I can finally give you that makeover Kenzie.” Gabriella added.

“You guys are forgetting the best part of the summer.” They gave me a questioning look. “The concert that I happen to have backstage passes for.” They grinned at me knowing exactly what I was talking about.

Joanne and Gabrielle are the best friends I could ask for. They are the ones keeping me sane most days. Joanne is constantly trying to get me a boyfriend and Gabriella is the one who tries to get me to do homework. They are the main reason I have friends at school at all. They took me under their wings back in seventh grade and I’m happy they did.

I had braces, an awkward amount of baby fat, and frizzy hair that could never be controlled. I was a walking disaster and they helped me. They helped me to come out my shell a bit and gave me someone to talk to about basically anything. Without them I would have never made it through high school. Sure I’m still not the most popular, but they are all I really need. And I wouldn’t change it for the world.