Behind Those Scratches

PreFace

It was Junior year when he came. Nobody noticed him, nothing changed. This boy wasn't even a fly on the wall he was less than that, he was nothing.

I didn't even know his name 'til second semester when we happened to get algebra 2 together. The teacher was taking roll for the first and probably the last time. I was sitting there drawing small designs on the desk with my pink mechanical pencil. She called my name and I raised my hand, never looking up from the design I was working on. He was the last name on her roster.

"Seth Zerrer." My head perked up at the name. I looked around and saw a hand pop into the air.

I looked down the long arm and to the hooded head of Seth Zerrer. His head was down; it seemed like he was lost in the book on his desk. The only skin showing on the boy were his hands and he had finger-less gloves over those, I could just see his long fingers down to his first knuckle on both hands.

After a couple days I forgot all about Seth Zerrer. I think that he still lingered in the very far back of my mind though.

Junior year finished and passed on and soon summer was over and my senior year had come.

It was senior year everything changed. People started to notice. They started to notice everything, and Seth Zerrer was no longer less than a fly on the wall, he was no longer nothing.

He was something else.