Behind Those Scratches

Starting to Notice

People say that senior year, is supposed to be the year. But when I walked through those pale blue doors on the first day of senior year, I felt like I did every time I walked through school doors on the first day, or any day for that matter. I thought, When do we get to leave? I had never been a big school person. I mean, I know how almost everybody hates school, but it wasn't that I hated it, I just had no feelings towards it. I just wanted to get it all over with.

My friend Stephanie joined me in my walk to my first hour. We talked about our summers. Well she talked; I just listened to her go on and on about how great and wonderful her summer was. I said goodbye to the short brunette when we reached my acting class. I walked and saw that the teacher, Mr.Alan, had a seating chart and I was at the back table, the only table that sat two people.

I practically fell into my chair. My bag falling to the floor. The seat next to me was empty and I hadn't looked at the name next to mine on the chart. The bell rang and Mr. Alan started the class. He started to talk about what we would do this year, and he asked a guy named Austin to hand out the syllabus to everyone. The door opened and he walked in. The boy I hadn't given any thought to since that day in algebra 2 last year. I remembered him instantly, his hooded features a dead give away.

"Nice of you to join us Mr.Zerrer, great to see you back again this year. Take your seat next to miss Province at the back table. " He nodded and slowly he made his way back to the table.

Everybody watched him. Nobody took their eyes off of him. I heard whispers start going through the room, and I was pretty positive that all the whispers were about the boy that was walking to the back of the classroom. Mr. Alan was too busy taking a quick roll on his computer to pay any attention to the whispers. My own thoughts were saying that if he hadn't been late to this class this morning then everything would probably be like they were last year, no one noticing Seth Zerrer.