Behind Those Scratches

Pictures

As the first week of school passed the rumors went sky high about Mr. Zerrer but when Monday came the next week, they were starting to go down hill. People had started to get tired of Seth Zerrer, he went through the same things everyday, never doing anything new, making rumors hard to spread about him.

After that day in acting, he didn't speak to me again, but there wasn't really a reason for him too. But certain thoughts had started to enter my mind. I thought about what Seth would do when he would have to present his acts. He'd have to perform it in front of the whole class, I wondered what he would do, how he would do it, or if he would be any good at acting. We also had to put on a play with all the other acting classes at the end of the year, it would be our final grade that would be put into the books. Our first act was coming up in the next week. We had to act out a children's book. We would read the book, change our voices for characters, and act out certain parts of the book. I guess I was a little anxious to see what Seth would do.

At lunch on Thursday I sat with friends; the discussion of the table no longer being Seth Zerrer, but the Welcome Back dance that would be taking place next Friday. I wasn't much interested in the whole ordeal though. The only dances I had gone to were the welcome back dance freshmen year, and I was dragged to the Halloween dance sophomore year. Our school didn't throw the best of dances, that's why people usually went to other school's dances.

Stephanie goes on and on about the dance. She talks about what she is going to wear, what she's going to do, who she is going with. We all just sat around the table listening to her. I was relieved when the bell rang. I got out of there and headed to my next class as quick as I could. Stephanie was a good friend, but she just talked too much sometimes.

My next class was advanced photography. Today Mrs. Cline had us doing the first part of a huge scavenger hunt. Since this class was bumped up into a full year class, she had made the scavenger bigger than usual. Having us do the first part this semester and the second part next semester. Mrs. Cline separated everyone into groups of three. I was put with a tall blond named Emily and a lanky redhead named Connor.

We were given the list then set free to take the pictures that needed to be taken. The list had 20 items on it. We all had cameras, so I suggested that we split up and each of us would do seven of the items, with the exception of someone doing six. I took my seven and headed out, leaving Connor and Emily to decide who only has to do six pictures. I looked over my seven things again to try and figure out a plan to capture all of them.

14) Students Working
15) Nature in the Act
16) From a High Place
17) Something you've never Noticed
18) Teachers Helping
19) Light
20) Food


Most of them were easy enough. The only ones I thought I might have trouble with were numbers 16 and 17, other than that I should have gotten everything done in no time. Heading off to a classroom, I went for the easiest ones 14 and 18. I went to a freshman Algebra 1 class, knowing that the teachers usually had to help a lot.

The pictures were easy enough to get. The teacher didn't mind me coming in, and taking the pictures, and the students were having a hard time not posing for the camera. It was 2nd lunch when I came out of the class. I looked around for a high place, and noticed the cement tables. I sighed, knowing that's the highest I was probably going to get.

I went over and climbed up on the nearest table. Some people looked at me weird, but I didn't care. The table that I chose was under a tree and there was a branch close enough to me that I could climb up on it. I would be higher, and I might be able to get some other pictures out of it. So I put the camera into my messenger bag and jumped up and grabbed onto the branch, swinging my legs so I could get up onto it. I made it up, and straddled the branch. When I was sure I wasn't going to fall I looked down and around me and saw students eating and chatting below me. I took the camera out of my bag and snapped a picture of them all, they didn't even noticed.

I looked around and saw Seth Zerrer. He was walking away from the cafeteria with a water bottle in hand. I watched as he found a cement bench and sat down. He looked around for a minute, before he brought a hand up to his face and pulled something down. I brought my camera up and started snapping pictures of him. When he was done taking a drink, he put whatever he took down, back up. I snapped one last picture, before I saw Seth's hood move slightly in my direction, and I felt like he was looking straight at me. From this distance I couldn't see anything other than his hood, which shadowed the rest of his face from my sight.

I brought the camera up, zoomed in as much as I dared, and snapped the picture. Seth got up immediately after and walked away. I jumped down from the tree to the cement table, scaring the people around it. I jumped down from the table and continued on with finding the things I needed to take pictures of.