Behind Those Scratches

No Reason Shopping

"Ally!" I turned at the sound of a very chipper voice. Stephanie was pushing through the crowds of students, trying to get to me. I stopped walking, and moved to the side of the paths, so I wouldn't be in anyone's way.

"Yes Stephanie?" I asked when she finally reached me.

"You, me, and Jade are all going shopping after school today!" She practically squealed the whole thing at me, she was so excited.

"I'll pass." I started to walk off again.

"Wait!" Stephanie grabbed my arm and pulled me back. The girl was stronger than she looked.

"C'mon Ally, it'll be fun!" She looked up at me, her brown orbs were getting bigger as she threw her most useful weapon of puppy dog eyes at me.

"Fine." I sighed. I hated when people begged, and it wouldn't kill me to go with them.

"Great! I'll pick you up at your house at 3:40! See you then!" I watched as Stephanie pranced off. She was always just so happy. I walked on to class, hoping that Ms. Mims would actually make sense today when she talked about historians, and events from the past.

Those Scratches That You Wear...


At 3:40 exactly Stephanie was outside my house, honking the horn on her new baby blue beetle. My mom already knew where I was going, so after I made sure I had everything I needed, I locked my front door, and made my way to the beetle.

"Hop in!" Stephanie shouted. I sat in the back, while Jade and Stephanie were in the front talking animatedly about what kind of dresses they were going to get for the dance.

I couldn't help but want to mention that the dance was just a Welcome Back dance, and that it wasn't mandatory to wear dresses, in fact I doubted anybody would wear a dress, but if I mentioned this, it would ruin their fun, so I kept quiet. We arrived at the mall, and Jade and Stephanie practically dragged me through the mall to Audra's Boutique. The two girls immediately found dresses while I just browsed a little.

I saw the two heading over to the dressing rooms so I followed over. I sat on one of the waiting benches while the two went in and tried dresses on. Both came out and showed me their dresses. Luckily they had gone for the most casual dresses in the store.

Stephanie came out in a soft dark purple dress that flowed to a stop right before her knees. Jade had put her long black hair into a bun on top of her head, her dark grey dress showing all her curves off, and ruffles that started at high waist all the way down to her mid-thigh accentuated her hips even more.

I applauded both girls on their decisions and they smiled brightly at me. They went back to their dressing rooms to change back into their street clothes. They begged me to go and find a dress for myself, but I stuck with a no each time. They finally gave up and we paid for the two dresses. We went to the food court and got two things of nachos to share between the three of us.

I had been putting a nacho topped with cheese into my mouth, when I saw a familiar figure coming out of the bookstore, across the way from the food court. It was Seth Zerrer, and it looked like he had a heavy bag filled with books. I don't think he noticed us. I never saw his hood face our direction, but I could have been wrong. I wondered what he must see from the shadows of his hood. I wondered if it was any different from what the rest of us see.