Behind Those Scratches

Personal Space

"Okay, so your guys' crazy acting teacher planned wrong, so today we are going to do an exercise that you will need for a different act, and then next time we will be finishing on the exercises for your upcoming act, so everyone partner up at your tables!"

I didn't mind partners or anything, but I didn't know how to be partners with Seth Xano. Everyone was standing around the classroom now, everyone had found a partner, and we were all just waiting on the next instructions.

"Okay, everyone down to the stage!" People grabbed their things and headed to the auditorium.

I grabbed my bag as well and slowly made my way there. But I wasn't as slow as Seth who was the last person to walk into the auditorium.

Everyone set their things down somewhere then made their way onto the stage.

"Line up in two rows. One partner in each line, facing each other." I let Seth choose where to stand in the line.

I made my way to the space across from him. There was a big gap in the middle, and Mr. Sheetz made this his catwalk, he was walking up and down the middle gap talking to us.

"Notice how I didn't tell anyone how far to stand away from each other, but you all put about eight feet in between you, that is public space. Now I want you all to look your partner in the eye."

I turned my head in Seth's direction and looked to his head. I was sure I gasped aloud when I actually saw his eyes peeking out from the darkness of the shadows that his hood created.

I looked straight into his eyes never looking away, and he did the same. I only looked away when the teacher started speaking again.

"Okay now the partner closest to the audience will start to walk towards the other partner. The partner standing still will raise there hand telling the partner when to stop walking. Now the partner standing still will raise their hand when they break eye contact with the other partner, when they start fidgeting around, or when they start laughing or anything like that... Ready, go!"

It was Seth's side that would be walking. I put my hands in my pockets and made eye contact with Seth again, and then he slowly began to walk towards me.

We never broke eye contact, I never started fidgeting or laughing, and he never stopped walking.

Seth did stop walking though when he couldn't walk anymore. He was so close to me, we were practically chest to chest. I looked up into his eyes and saw that they were a dark gray color.

His piercing grays were staring back into my own dark blues and I couldn't look away, until Mr. Sheetz's voice rose to my ears, and I tore my eyes away from his.

I looked all around and everyone else was staring at Seth and I, we were the only one's so close together, the others were at least two to five feet away from each other.

"Well, as you can see pretty much all the partners were stopped at social space, except for these two -- Miss Province, Mr. Xano do the two of you know each other outside of this class?"

"No." I answered him.

"Well, um, anyways everyone go into your partner's personal space." Everyone did as told except for Seth and I, since we were already there.

"It's kind of creepy, yeah? Okay so I want you guys to grab hands with your partner."

Everyone made their own little remark about the next direction. I looked down at my hands, and I tentatively grabbed for Seth's hands. He reached out and just took a hold mine.

Seth had on fingerless gloves so all I felt was the softness of the gloves against the palm of my hands. I did feel his fingertips, as his big hands curled around my much smaller ones, his fingers were warm.

I had the raging urge just to intertwine our fingers together, but I held myself and listened to Mr. Sheetz's next instructions.

"Now dance, jump, swing your hands, just do something with your partner."

I was drawn at a blank, was he serious, what did this have to do with anything? I sighed and swung our hands a little. I felt like a complete fool.

"Jump!" Mr. Sheetz called out.

Everyone started jumping, I lifted myself onto the balls of my feet then went back down, Seth just stood his ground.

"Spin!"

Again people started spinning, I just started swaying my hips, and again Seth just stood there.

"Stop!"

Everyone stood still waiting to see what would happen next.

"Now, have a nice day!" Was he serious?

"Wait, Mr. Sheetz, what was the point of the holding hands thing?" A random student shouted out.

"Oh, that, nothing, I didn't have anything else planned out, and that was the first thing that popped into my head."

I dropped Seth's hand and left the stage, grabbing my bag on the way out. I knew that Mr. Sheetz was crazy.