Behind Those Scratches

Children's Books

Today was the day that we would read our children books to the class. Now I wasn't one to get nervous over these things, I actually found it kind of fun.

I pulled open the heavy grey door to my acting class. I walked in and I could feel the tension in the air. I looked around and everyone was talking and twitching around. It was easy to tell they were all very nervous.

The bell rang right after I entered the class, signaling that it was time for presentations to start. I made my way back to the table that Seth and I shared.

He was silently sitting in his chair. When I sat down, it felt like Seth and I were in a bubble. The air around us wasn't filled with tension, it almost felt calm, and maybe a little comfortable.

"Okay yous alls peoples, Let's start with some voice exercising and then we will start with our presentations for today.. Oh and remember we probably won't get through them all today. Begin!"

I looked around and watched as people started to get up from their seats and find a place around the room. I stood myself, and just walked back to the wall that was behind us.

We all stood around and did the exercises. We would make our faces big and out, or pinched up and small. It was something we did every class day.

When we were done doing our exercises we were to turn around, face the wall, and practice reading our book to the wall. I had no interest in doing this. I only wanted to read my book once today, and that would be my presentation.

I went back to the table and took my seat. I listened to parts of stories that I could make out from all the noise that the readers were making.

I laid my head down on my arms and waited for everyone to get done, so we could start with the presentations and get them over with.

While in waiting I felt the chair beside me being pulled out from under the table. I lifted my head from my arms and looked over to see Seth setting his book down on the table.

I looked over to see the title of the book that Seth would be reading... The Giving Tree.

My eyes traveled from the title of the book to the hooded face of Seth. I nodded my head in approval of the book, not that he needed it or anything.

Then my head was returned to my arms, and again I waited for everyone to finish up their reading.

"Okay everyone let's start the readings! Any takers for going first." My hand popped into the air. I wanted to get this over with now

"Very well Miss Province make your way to the front of the classroom." I grabbed my book and headed for the front of the class.

I waited for Mr.Sheetz's signal that meant I could start reading.

"Remember Allison, before you start, say your name, the title of your book, the author of your book, and the theme of your book.... You may start when you're ready."

"Okay, well I'm Allison Province, my book is Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst. The theme is everyone has bad days."

"I went to sleep with gum in my mouth," I made my voice go higher so that it would sound like a childs'."And now there's gum in my hair...."

I kept reading on. I would change my voice for different characters, and I would change the pitch and speed at certain times to make the feelings right for the story. We were told to look up from the story, it would count off on our grade if we didn't.

Every time I looked up I found myself looking at Seth Xano. His dark grey eyes were hidden in the shadows of his hood, so I never knew if he was looking at me or if he was looking somewhere else.

When I was finished reading, everyone clapped, because they were supposed to. People said things that they liked about the story and then Mr. Sheetz told me things I could work on.

I took my seat beside Seth and waited to see if there would be another volunteer to go second, or if Mr. Sheetz would have to start calling names out.

"Mr. Xano, you're next." Seth rose from his seat and slowly made his way to the front.

I looked around the classroom and saw that everyone was at the edge of their seats, just waiting for Seth to start speaking.

"Anytime Seth."

"I'm Seth Xano, my book is The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein, and interpret how you wish for the theme." Seth's voice is loud and clear as he starts his introduction, his deep voice is echoing through the silent classroom.

"Once there was a tree and she loved a little boy..." His voice was soft as he spoke.

Throughout the reading of the book Seth changed the speed of his voice as the boy from the book grew older.

There were no sounds as Seth read, it was as if everything and everyone had come to a complete stop, just so they could hear Seth read.

I even found myself leaning forward just so I could try and hear his already clear voice better.

When Seth would look up from time to time I never knew where he was looking. His hood would just raise and face straight, but his hidden eyes could have been looking anywhere.

When Seth finished reading no one said anything, people just started clapping, and soon Mr. Sheetz had come out of the trance that he had been in, and he was clapping as well.

I sat myself back into my chair, crossing both my arms and legs. When Seth sat down beside me, I looked over to him, and I couldn't help, but let a small smile come upon my face.

"Good job Mr. Xano." I said quietly so that only he could have heard me.

I turned my head back to the front not caring if he had responded or not, he deserved the applause and the comments he had gotten for the reading.

Mr. Sheetz was right when he said that not everybody would get through their book today. We would finish up on the presentations on Tuesday, then probably start on our next act Thursday.

When the bell rang, dismissing class that day, I couldn't help but feel that something was about to happen, and it would probably do with a certain hooded figure.