Behind Those Scratches

Did You Hear

"Did you hear?" Stephanie yelled down the hall as she was running to me.

I stopped walking and waited for the short brunette to reach me. When she reached me, she wasn't out of breath at all, she was completely fine. She just straightened herself out then began to talk.

"Did you hear?" She repeated to me.

"Hear what?" I ask as I stepped aside for people to pass.

"Well I just heard from Catherine Mellow that Seth Xano is the new school hunk!"

"What?!" I practically shouted. It was one of those rare times that I lost my calm demeanor.

"Yeah I know right! I mean it's so unbelievable!" The smile and almost clueless look in Stephanie's eyes told me that she had gone off to her own world for the time being.

The news I had just received was processing through my mind at that moment. I had just seen Seth in acting class not 15 minutes ago. I mean the rumors about him being a creepy maniac had just died down, and now he's the school's hunk? I mean that's just not possible. How would he even be considered one? You can't see anything of him but his hands!

I shook Stephanie a little to drag her out of her dream state. She gave a small squeal before she turned to me with questioning eyes.

"Why is he considered the 'new hunk of the school'?" She thought about this for a moment.

"Oh! Catherine said that she thought his voice was so dreamy from when she had heard him do his children's book in acting class, and that him hiding himself makes him mysterious which is sexy!" She wiggled her eyebrows at me.

I was ready for thousands of flies to fly in my mouth, because it had hit the ground the minute Stephanie had said "voice was so dreamy".

"Are you serious, just last week they were calling him all kinds of horrible things, and now he is mysterious and sexy!"

"Whatever, see you later." I had reclaimed my calm demeanor once I knew that there was no point.

As I walked away to my next class a thought came to me. A thought that asked why did it bother me so much about the news of Seth? I pondered over it and I came up blank not knowing the reason why.

I entered my psychology class and saw Seth sitting in his usual seat, but this time instead of people trying to stay away from him and maybe let a harsh whisper out here and there, I saw girls staring at him, smiling flirtatiously at him, and that's when it finally hit me, of what Stephanie told me.

I still couldn't believe it though, it was improbable, but I guess it was high school and anything can happen in high school.

I took my seat at one of the many round tables and just watched as the whole class took on a different approach to Seth Xano, I think even the teacher, Mrs. Navos, noticed it as well.

Those Scratches that You Wear


Even after a week the news of Seth still didn't rest itself easily with me, and from what I had saw from Seth, he didn't like the new attention he got either.