Status: Sometimes I don't update this story very often, but I will do my best to update as often as possible with everything that is going on.

Steal My Soul

Chapter Seventeen

Two Weeks Later

It had been a couple of weeks since Luc had proposed to me at the lookout point. It had been two weeks since we had last shared a kiss. In all actuality it had been two weeks since we saw each other. After he had dropped me off at the apartment that night, we had yet to see a moment of one another. Being a girl that overthought the simplest of things, it made me worry that maybe he was avoiding me now.

Thankfully after returning home that night after becoming engaged, Natalie hadn’t said a word about the whole Rafiel thing. She didn’t even so much glance my way when I had walked through the door. Not that I was making a complaint or anything, but it made me worry that maybe she was possibly angry with me. Although she was typically always angry with me, but that night felt different for some reason. Ever since that night though, I had left my engagement ring at home on my vanity so as not to lose it. Not only that, but I didn’t need Natalie prying about it right now. At least not until I was ready to tell her. I had a feeling she could care less though.

Shaking off unneeded worries, I focused my gaze back on the test that was lying on my desk mocking me. It was mocking me for my foolish insolence on not having studied harder for such an exam. I released a frustrated sigh as I raked my fingers through the tightly coiled curls of my hair. I had reread the same question at least ten times and was still lost on what it was asking. I honestly forgot what class I was taking this exam for.

“Ten minutes to finish up the exam!” The professor said into the microphone.

My head snapped up in panic. Ten minutes left? I was only on question seven out of twenty-five.

“I’m screwed,” I groaned doing everything I could to focus through the rest of the exam.

I exited the large lecture room and stepped out into the open air with a breath of relief. It was amazing the things you could do in just ten minutes. I readjusted the strap of my backpack on my shoulder and started walking back to the apartment. I had about three hours until I needed to head to work for the evening.

Just as I was about to text Natalie wanting to know if she would like to grab some dinner, my phone rang with an unknown number. Typically I never answered those things, especially when I was feeling exhausted like now, but there was something telling me to answer this call.

“Hello?” I answered hesitantly.

“So glad you answered,” a deep, familiar British voice I hadn’t heard in two weeks greeted. My eyes narrowed. I was upset that he hadn’t spoken to me in two weeks, but then again it’s not like I had tried to contact him either.

“It’s amazing the things people do when someone calls them, isn’t it?” I huffed sarcastically barely dodging a bike that zoomed across my path.

“Yeah…about that…it’s only because I was planning a surprise for you. Speaking of which, are you still at school?” he questioned sounding as if he already knew the answer to his own question.

“At the moment. Why?” He had been planning a surprise for me? I sure hope to god it was nothing like the surprise he had given me the very first time we had gone out on a date. I didn’t need to be hanging out in any more demon bars any time soon. I still don’t think I was ready for that completely. Especially if his brother might be there. That demon absolutely rubbed me the wrong way.

“Stay there. Don’t move a single muscle until I come get you. I don’t want you ruining the surprise before I’ve had the chance to show you myself,” he demanded. My footsteps slowed until I was standing, unmoving, in the middle of the sidewalk with tons of students passing me by.

“I would tell you where I’m at on campus, but something tells me you already know.”

“Of course I do. I always keep tabs on your location. You’re outside the left side doors of the science building. I’ll be there as soon as possible, so DON’T MOVE,” he reiterated firmly.

“Might I move just long enough to sit down on the bench, master?” I sarcastically asked his permission.

I could almost see him roll his eyes as a sigh sounded from the other end of the phone.

“Don’t be snarky. I’ll see you momentarily.”

I smiled to myself as I ended the call and slid the phone back into my pocket. It seemed like I wouldn’t be having dinner with Natalie after all. Assuming she would have agreed. I made my way over to one of the student benches that were scattered all around campus. There was a man sitting on end of the bench with his head bent over reading a book. He turned to the next page as I sat down.

I slid my backpack from my shoulder and placed it beside me on the ground. I rooted around through the side compartment of my backpack looking for my pack of gum. Once I had found it, I slid out a piece of the minty goodness and popped it into my mouth chewing slowly.

“Pardon me for intruding, but might I have a piece as well?” an apologetic male voice inquired.

I turned my head to meet eyes with a startling pair of blue orbs. They were even more startling than Luc’s. Where Luc had pale blue eyes, almost grey in appearance, this man had bright cerulean eyes that sparkled with a mysterious gleam.

“Um, sure I guess,” I answered offering the pack of gum up to him.

“Much obliged,” he smiled. That dazzling white smile nearly blew me away with its kindness and sincerity. I had to blink more times than necessary in order to regain my composure and smile back.

“Anytime,” I replied placing the gum back inside the compartment of my backpack. I dug my phone from my pocket and checked the time. It had been ten minutes since Luc had told me he would be here. Of course he had given me no real time as to when he would be here except saying momentarily and as soon as possible. I sighed wondering what the word momentarily meant in demon time.

“Pardon me again,” the man chuckled capturing my attention once more.

“Yes?”

“Might I ask you a more…personal question?” On reflex, my eyes narrowed in suspicion over such a question. For once, I took in the entire look of the man that sat on the opposite end of the bench from me.

He had a narrow face with a solid jawline; dark blonde stubble lined the edges of his chin and around his dark, pink lips. Those bright cerulean eyes were framed by sandy blonde hair that was tousled stylishly in the front with the sides combed firmly back with the help of a hair product. He wore a loose brown button-down shirt that was tucked fashionably into the waistband of his dark jeans. The first couple of buttons on his shirt were unfastened allowing me to catch a glimpse of the smooth expanse of skin underneath.

My gaze moved back up to meet his eyes wondering what a man such as himself was doing all alone on a Friday. Especially considering the fact he looked like a frat boy who partied more than he studied.

“Depends on the question I suppose,” I finally answered him leaning back against the bench.

“Are you Christian? Or…religious in any way?” he questioned.

“You’re asking if I believe in God,” I restated with an arched brow.

“Yes, I believe so,” he smiled glad to see I was willing to talk to him about it. My eyes dropped down to the book sitting in his lap, for the first time noticing that it was a Bible he had been reading. It wasn’t that I had anything against overly enthusiastic religious people…I just didn’t like it when they tried to shove their ideas down my throat without mercy.

I thought over the question he had asked me. Did I believe in God? Well, since I was engaged to the eldest son of Satan…it’d probably only make sense that there would be a God to create all these creatures.

“Sure, you could say that,” I shrugged.

“Why do you say it like that?” he asked cocking his head to the side with curiousness.

“Um, well, if I believe there is a devil, then surely there must be good to balance it out, right?” Although, in all honesty, I didn’t find Lou to be that bad of a guy, but he was still evil no matter how you looked at it. Even he could agree to that. Plus, he’d hate to know I thought good of him. It might ruin his reputation or some nonsense if I let word slip out. I chuckled softly to myself at the thought.

“You believe more in the devil than in God?”

My eyes snapped up to meet his gaze.

“Um, well—”

“The devil cannot help you. He can only entrap you with his words; steal your very soul right from your body. God can help save you from that darkness. He can light your path. He can lead you in the right direction to fulfill your true destiny,” the man urgently informed.

Ok, this guy? He was beginning to freak me out a little with his persistence on the topic. I checked the time on my phone. Now it had been 25 minutes since I had last spoken to Luc. Where in the hell could he be? He seriously needed to get his ass here…like NOW.

My eyes widened in alarm when the man touched a hand to my arm.

“It’s not too late. Even if the devil has ensnared you in his wicked grasp…even if he has tempted you to do wrong and hand over your soul…God can save you,” he assured quietly.

I slid my arm out of his grasp and slowly stood up from the bench. I flashed him a nervous smile watching as his eyes grew round with shock.

“You’ve already lost it, haven’t you? He’s already trapped you in his embrace,” the man whispered as if this was a revelation.

“Excuse me?”

Those glimmering blue eyes that shone with sadness clashed with mine.

“You’ve already given it away.”

I jumped back slightly when the man stood so abruptly the Bible fell from his lap to land on the ground.

“I can still save you!” he insisted taking a step toward me. I promptly took a step back. “There is still time for you to grab onto the light.”

“I have absolutely no idea of what you’re talking about.”

“Your soul, Leighra, I can help you gain it back!”

Both of our eyes widened in surprise when he uttered my name except my look of shock was for a different reason than his. I snatched up my backpack from the ground and slowly began backing away from the man.

“I don’t know how you know my name. Maybe we have a class together and you heard it being said once, but whatever the reason is…I have to go meet with someone,” I said uneasily as I went to go turn around and quickly walk off.

“You’re meeting with HIM, aren’t you? With that demon who stole your soul,” he called out causing me to stop in my tracks. How could he possibly know about all of this?

I whipped around to face him once more; my eyes narrowed in question.

“Ho—”

“Don’t say anything else, Leighra. You don’t need to explain yourself to him,” Luc ground out as he came to stand beside me. I glanced up at him in astonishment wondering when he had gotten here and just how long he had been lurking in the shadows listening to the conversation.

“It’s abo—” Once more I was cut off. Only this time it was by the man.

“Lucifer. So glad you could finally join us,” he sneered folding his arms across his chest.

“Hasn’t anyone told you it’s not nice to try and steal things that aren’t yours?” Luc retorted draping an arm across my shoulders and pulling me in snuggly to his side.

“Has no one told you that it’s rude to lie and rip away the essence of life from a person without permission?” the man snapped back.

“There’s nothing for you here,” Luc growled.

“That’s where you’re wrong, Lucifer. I’m here for her,” the man announced pointing a slender finger at me. Luc bared his teeth at the man.

“She’s mine. And for your information, she gave her soul to me willingly.”

“You expect me to believe you? A demon? The son of Satan himself? Lies fall off your tongue dripping like acid upon the ears of the innocent.”

“That’s not true!” I cut in jerking out of Luc’s tight embrace. “Luc is sincere and kind. Kinder than you are being right now,” I snapped angrily.

“I forgive you, Leighra. And He will, too. This demon has brainwashed your naïve thoughts with his seductive words and mesmerizing eyes. You have no choice but to defend him. He took advantage of your weak heart and is now controlling you,” the man said, concern laced within his deep voice.

My brows bunched together in confusion and anger. “No, he’s not. How dare you tell me I’m defenseless and can be easily controlled through simple words of promises and a bat of his eyelashes?” I turned to face look, pointing an accusing finger toward the man.

“Who is he? How in the hell does he know so much about you, me, and our situation?”

“My name is Michael,” the toned, slender man answered instead. Luc finished the introduction.

“He’s an archangel of God.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize that this story took so long to update >.< I had writer's block for a while, but this morning I had the sudden urge to write this chapter thanks to a certain song I was listening to ^.^

Anyways, I hope this update was worth the wait and I will TRY not to take so long to update the next chapter, but I make no guarantees unfortunately :(

As always, leave me a comment and let me know what you think of the story :) Comments make me cry rainbows of happiness :D

Picture of Michael:

Image