Status: Sometimes I don't update this story very often, but I will do my best to update as often as possible with everything that is going on.

Steal My Soul

Chapter Nine

“Luc, what is he talking about? You stole my soul?” I questioned starting to panic. Wouldn’t I have felt it if my soul had been taken from me? Or was I too busy flirting and arguing with Luc that I didn’t notice?

Raphael clapped a hand on his brother’s shoulder, a wide grin splitting across his face. “Good luck,” he laughed before leaving the room. He closed the door behind him with a silent click.

I let out a small, startled scream when Lucifer suddenly turned and lifted the empty office chair over his head. With a shout of rage he threw the chair against the wall splintering the chair into pieces. He squeezed his eyes shut and pinched the bridge of his nose as he took deep, calming breaths. I slowly stood from the chair, but was unsure of what to do once I had got to my feet. My initial intention had been to possibly soothe him and talk to him, but now I wasn’t so sure. I was afraid he would break me in half if I dared to touch him right now. So instead I just stood there awkwardly wringing my hands and switching my weight from one foot to the other.

My eyes landed on the glowing pendant swinging on its chain that was tightly grasped in the palm of his hand. Although the light blue glow had dimmed slightly, it was evident still that something was inside the center jewel making it glow that way. Had it been glowing the entire time and I just hadn’t noticed No, it couldn’t have been. Otherwise I would have seen it glowing when we were in the elevator. So when had it started glowing? When had he supposedly taken my soul? And should I feel differently now that he had stolen it? I was so confused.

“Luc—”

“I was hoping to explain things a bit more before we came to this,” Luc sighed scrubbing a hand down his face.

“Well…explain to me now.”

Those pale blue eyes lifted from the ground to bore straight into my own honey brown eyes. I lifted the corners of my mouth in a reassuring smile; my dimples framing my small smile.

“Do you believe Rafe when he says your soul is trapped inside this pendant?” Luc started off.

I furrowed my brows in thought before shrugging. “I’m not sure. In order to maintain my sanity…I suppose I should say no, but if I believe you when you say you are Satan then…why wouldn’t I be able to believe that’s my soul you hold trapped inside the necklace?”

“Well, first things first, this isn’t just any normal necklace. It’s a Messorem. In other words it is a reaper. Depending upon the spell that is cast upon it depends on what you want to be reaped. In this case, I wanted the spirit of your body: your soul,” Luc began explaining showing me the necklace.

“But…why? Why me?”

Luc released an irritated sigh. “I really hate having to explain things, but I realize it is necessary in your case. Do you remember how I said your soul was calling out to me for help?”

I slowly nodded as I remembered the conversation we had had in his car on the way here. Funny how that had seemed like days ago when really that conversation had only taken place about an hour or so ago. So much had happened to me in such a short span of time. I really was beginning to wonder how I was staying sane through all of this. Or maybe this was it. I had finally cracked and everything that was happening was playing inside my mind in order to cope with the fact that I was curled into a ball in the corner of a padded cell rocking back and forth.

“Well…that is partially the truth. Your soul was in desperate need of help…just probably not from me. The correcting of your soul is up to the guys in white that live a couple floors above us in Heaven. It was your Guardian’s job to help your soul, not me. I just happened to be passing by when I heard you silently cry out for help.”

“It’s more than just that, isn’t it? You wouldn’t have bothered flirting with me and getting to know me if all you wanted was my soul. Earlier you said you needed my mind and soul intact. Why?” I questioned narrowing my eyes on him. There was something he wasn’t telling me.

“Ah, yes, well that. You see, I’m not QUITE Satan just yet,” he mumbled beginning to fidget with the reaper.

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“I may not be THE original Lucifer.”

“So…you’re a descendant? I thought angels didn’t die?” I asked slightly confused.

“Well, no, that’s not entirely true. There is a weapon out there that CAN kill them. Just like there is a weapon to kill any form of demon. The whereabouts of such weapons are currently unknown at this point.”

“You still didn’t answer my first question. You just finished going through this whole speech about how you were THE Prince of Darkness. THE Devil. THE Satan. Now you’re telling me none of it is true?” I rested a hand against my forehead as a dull ache began throbbing between my eyes. “I’m so confused.”

“Lucifer, the one who fell from Heaven, is mine and Raphael’s father. He located his chosen soul and completed a ritual in order to reproduce and have her bear his children. I believe it is something similar to what you humans call ‘marriage’. Anyways, he had me and then my brother. The eldest son is to carry on the name of the father. Since I was the eldest, my name became Lucifer. Once my brother was born they bestowed upon him the name Raphael. It is the name of my father’s brother from before The Fall and his best friend. Although Raphael unfortunately perished as he was plummeting toward the Earth,” Lucifer described sadly.

“So why are you not QUITE Satan then?” I asked feeling like I needed to take a break from all of this and have a couple drinks at the bar outside. Or maybe ten. Possibly twenty. Enough to get me completely wasted, pass out, and futilely hope this was all just a dream.

“My father refuses to relinquish the title and complete the ceremony of him passing the title down to me until I have found my chosen soul,” the young British man grumbled unhappily.

My eyes widened in realization at what he was saying. “Are you saying that I’M your chosen soul?!” I shrieked. Lucifer quickly moved to stand before me as he clapped a hand over my mouth; his eyes were filled with anger and panic.

“Well…I’m not sure. All I know is that your soul is the strongest I have felt connected to in my years of searching. Fortunately, I was able to get to you in time before your Guardian came to cleanse your soul once more.”

I opened my mouth wide enough to let my tongue slip out and swipe across his palm. He snatched his hand away grimacing as he wiped my saliva off on his dress pants. I smiled up at him in triumph shortly before growing serious once more.

“Guardian? As in my guardian angel?”

“Unfortunately.”

“You realize that you’re basically an angel, too, right? So hating on them is like hating on yourself and your family,” I rationalized with a quirked brow.

“Maybe so, but I no longer qualify on the same level to be described as an angel anymore. My powers and intentions are far darker and my wings aren’t exactly pristine white.”

“Ok, so let me make sure I have this right. You need my soul in order to become Satan?”

Luc tilted his head to the side in a half nod. “Sort of. You see, the thing is…your soul needs to be given to me willingly. Which is why I wanted to talk with you first before snatching the pendant off your neck, but Raphael kind of ruined that. I mean, whether you had willingly given me your soul or not, I would have had it in the end either way. It would have just been much easier for me had you willingly relinquished it.”

“Who in their right mind would do something like that? I refuse to give you my soul!”

“Well, you no longer have a choice in the matter I’m afraid. Whether you agree with it or not, your soul IS now mine and you won’t be getting it back.”

I snorted in disbelief. “Are you freaking serious right now? Give it back to me!” I reached out a hand and tried to snatch it away from him. The tips of my fingers brushed along the surface of the pendant causing an overwhelming wave of immense heat to storm throughout my veins and making my heart literally stop beating inside my chest. I quickly removed my hand from the necklace and clasped my chest as my heart starting beating at twice its normal speed from panic.

“I told you. Your soul is now mine. Now that the reaper, and the intended prey, is back in my hands…no one can give you your soul back except for me if I allow it.”

“Then allow it!”

Luc shook his head. “I can’t do that. I need it AND I need you.”

“I will not give you my body! Fuck that shit,” I spat pushing him away from me.

My push hardly phased him as he stepped even closer than before towards me. “You need me,” he whispered.

“The hell I do!”

A satisfied smirk curled his lips. It was then I decided to take notice of his cute dimples. Why did I always notice these things at the weirdest times?

“You need me in order to place a borrowed soul back into your body. Without a soul, your body and mind will deteriorate. It is your soul that keeps the heart beating and the brain functioning halfway normally. Without your soul, your mind will begin to fade away into insanity and your heart will eventually cease to beat,” he said putting emphasis on the hard sound of the letter t on beat.

My eyes narrowed in suspicion unsure of whether he told the truth or not. He was the future Satan after all. Lying was his game. Although up unto this point he HAS been telling the truth for the most part. Then there was always the question of…did I really want to take the chance that he was right?

“What do you mean when you say you need ME?” I cautiously asked. I had a feeling I wasn’t going to like the answer. Lucifer stood back up to his full height removing his face from the close proximity of mine.

“My father will want to meet the woman who the soul belongs to. Not only that, but he will want there to be a completing of the ritual before I become the ruler of Hell.”

“As in…?” I urged.

“As in you would need to become my wife if you wish to gain your soul back.”

“WHAT?!” I shouted in shock. He wanted me to become his WIFE in order to regain my soul? “Fuck that. You know what, I’ll just take that borrowed soul you mentioned earlier and be on my merry way.”

“The borrowed soul is just that, Leighra: borrowed. You won’t survive long with it living inside of you because it is not your own. It will not be able to meet your individual needs the body and mind demands. It will only go so far before it, too, dies and you are back in the same boat as you are now,” Luc answered almost regretfully.

“So…basically…if I want to live a long healthy life…I have to agree to be a demon’s wife? Oh, and not just ANY demon, but the future Satan of Hell?” I replied in a sardonic tone of voice.

“Do we have a deal?” he asked stretching his hand out waiting for me to slip my hand into his and shake on it.

I contemplated it for a second. My life would surely become more interesting if I accepted. Not to mention I’d be gaining an extremely hot, British fiancé. Plus, there wasn’t much I could do now that he already had claims on my soul. I had tried to take it back and it almost killed me. Ironic right? The thing that basically keeps me alive is the same thing that almost killed me just by touching it. And since my soul was in his hands…surely there was nothing my Guardian Angel could do anymore to save me.

I released a defeated sigh. “My soul was already damned before you stole it and I guess it’s not exactly in better shape now. So I may as well, but—” I quickly added pulling my hand away shortly before it made contact with his hand. “Just because I am agreeing to this does NOT mean that I like you in any shape or form. I just don’t really feel like dying anytime soon. Got it?”

An amused grin teased the corners of his lips. “Fine. Then I suppose I should let you know that you might be my fiancée and future bride, but I will never love you. So don’t ever hope on that. I have no time to concern myself with love even if my heart did beat inside my chest.”

“Fine. I wouldn’t want you to anyways,” I snapped.

“So we have a deal?”

“Deal.” I placed my hand in his and started to maneuver our hands up and down only to be tugged into his arms. I glanced up at him from under my lashes to see him smiling wickedly.

“Then let’s seal it with a kiss shall we…wife?”

Before I could refuse his offer, his lips covered mine. Although I didn’t want to admit it, his lips felt amazingly soft as they molded and moved in time with mine. I touched a hand to his jawline as he cupped the back of my neck tilting it back and further deepening the kiss.

He wrenched his lips away from mine with a gasp. Our breathing coming out in short, heavy puffs. He rubbed a thumb across my bottom lip; a pleased smirk curling his lips.

I had always joked that there was a special place down in Hell for people like me. Well, now, there really WAS a special place in Hell for me. And that was right next to the future Prince of Darkness.

Well, fuck. What had I just gotten myself into?
♠ ♠ ♠
Please leave a comment! :)