Status: Completed! Sequel?

Friendly Affections

Chapter Five (REVISED)

One thing that stayed was his scent lingering around my apartment. It had sunk deeply into every nick and crevice, and no matter how many times I vacuumed my carpet, scrubbed every flat surface and washed my clothes and bedsheets, it remained. It made me ache with a constant reminder of him, that even Mark noticed I was unhappy.
“A disagreement with a friend.” I told him, over and over. I didn’t even attempt to explain why everything smelled so masculine, or why I had so many pairs boxers and oversized cotton teeshirts shoved into my bottom dresser drawer. It took almost a week to break the habit of sleeping in them. It was to much work explaining everything that happened with Jack.
Kate called me a week or so after I left Jack’s apartment, demanding to know why we had broken up. I could barely get a word in edgewise as she raved, asking me why I have to given up the first healthy relationship since Mark.
“It wasn’t healthy! We weren’t ever together!” I snapped back angry she was prying into my life, especially a part of it that was painful. Normally I was keen to share things with her since she was a sister and a friend, but Jack’s broken eyes were to fresh a memory to discuss.
“You two were always together! All the time! For like, six months, at least! And now, you’re just not. Why?” She didn’t understand what I was saying. Yes, physically, we were always together. But emotionally we had no ties to each other. We were not a couple.
I sighed. “Kate, we were never together, in the sense you’re thinking. Yes, we were together, literally, but we were just hooking-up. A friends with benefits thing, nothing serious. But it’s done now.”
She exploded at that point. She raged on and on about how great Jack was, how terrible I was and how great we were together. Some how, in her world, a negative and a positive equaled and positive. I knew it was different, especially since I had seen the effects of our relationship. They were definitely negative.
I rubbed my temples and held the phone away from my ear to avoid going deaf. She went on yelling for a good few minutes, as I sat there taking all of it and knowing every word she said about Jack was true.
“I screwed up.” I murmured softly when she finally stopped for a breathe. “I know. And I regret it. But I missed Mark, and Jack was here and he was willing. He knew that I didn’t want anything serious, and when Mark came back –”
“No.” Kate stopped me. “I don’t not want to hear one thing about Mark.”
I hit the end bottom on the call. Fine then, I thought, if you don’t want to hear about him then stop talking to me.
It was a month of pure and utter torture. I mean, I was happy, being with Mark, kissing him and holding him once again. We were easing back into what our relationship had been previously. It was sturdy; maybe not the most spontaneous and fun, but reliable and comfortable. I always knew what to expect from him.
And yet I missed that, with Jack. When his big paws tickled my sides, or he decide a midnight chinese run was necessary. I felt like a kid in high school who was just experiencing first relationship and friendship rolled into one and topped off with a healthy dose of sexual attraction. Things were new and exciting, I was always on my toes. But it was never reliable or grounded. Both of us felt it, the underlying deadline of Mark returning home.
Are you happy now? I asked myself. Are you actually happy that you destroyed one of the truest friendships you ever had? All because your horny self couldn’t control your hormones. Slut.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you enjoyed!!! Please comment, subscribe and recommend :)
thank youuu,
Cathy