Status: Complete - 12.11.12

Sing Me to Sleep, I'll See You in My Dreams

Six

I practically skipped the whole way back to the house. The rain seemed to dance with me in the wind and I laughed at the sky. I was invincible, I was untouchable, I was in love with a certain sandy blonde haired boy.

As I opened the front door I was hit with the smell of booze like a brick wall, I stumbled back. Fuck. He was home.

I tip-toed through the door, through the hallway, halfway up the stairs and...

Squeak

Fuck. Nonononono. I completely forgot about the one squeaky floorboard. I snapped my head around, my heart pounding like a drum against my ribcage. I held my breath.
"OI! FAGGOT!" He roared like a fierce Lion. I began to shake like a leaf. I could hear his thunderous footsteps making there way towards the stairs, the smell of alcohol following him like a toxic mist.
"IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT BOY! YOU'RE USELESS!" He pounced, his bright red face twisted with rage. A chunky fist flew it's way towards me from the bottom of the stairs. As he bounded towards me something inside me snapped me out of my trace and my lanky legs went to work. I bolted up the stairs and locked myself into the first room I saw. I backed away from the door and hit the far wall of the room. My Uncle's booming yells could still be heard from the other side of the door, his fists beating the door just like he would have wanted to beat me.

I broke down. The visit to the cemetery with Alex felt like just a blissful dream. No one as useless and pointless as me could ever have had any truly happy memories as those. Clearly they weren't real. My Uncle's yelling and pounding had ceased and he seemed to have made his way out of the house. I took great gulps of air and tried to calm myself down. For the first time I took in my surroundings. From the dim light peeping out of the window I could make out a great oak desk, many large bookshelves and a chunky computer dusty with lack of use and clearly out-dated. The smell of oak, old books, dust and of course alcohol took over my senses. I was in my Uncle's study.

I slowly made my way towards the grand oak desk, skimming my eyes over the scattered documents and newspaper cuttings littering it's surface. I picked up a few at random, they all seemed irrelevant, useless even. It was beyond me why my Uncle would take notice of these in the first place. I then began raking through the drawers. Most contained scrap bits of paper, empty bottles and broken pens and pencils. As I opened the bottom drawer something caught my attention. It was another newspaper clipping, dog eared and limp. The writing was growing faint but from the remaining light I could make out the headline -

"Terrible Accident Leaves Young Boy Parentless"

I raised a sceptical eyebrow and continued reading.

"In the late evening of July 14th a brutal car accident leaves 3 dead. It was reported that at about 8:34 pm a small local family took a sharp corner too fast and hit a young boy at the age of 16. A local man recalls the traumatic accident.
"I was just having my usual pint when I heard this deafening crash. A few of us made our way out the pub to find this car that must have hit a tree or something. Completely wrecked it was. The couple at the front of the car were obviously dead, no question. One of my friends pointed out that there was another body that seemed to be hit by the car. young boy I think it was. Head cracked open...blood everywhere. Was horrible."
The ambulance came too late for the 3 and where dead on arrival -"


I couldn't continue on. The tears blurred my vision making it impossible to read on. That was my parents. That was their story. The story I've been killing myself over finding out the truth. I skimmed over the last of the article. My insides turned to ice. My throat tightened and my tongue seemed to be made of sandpaper. I clutched the old newspaper article in my knuckles as if my life depended on it...maybe it it...
I whizzed down the stairs and out of the door.

I had to show him.

I had to show Alex.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry for not updating in forever! How can I replay you? Updates perhaps? ;) Only one more chapter left!!!!!! You'll be getting that as soon as.