Sequel: Carnival
Status: Completed

Arkham

The Dream and The Wake up

(Myca's Point of View)

I was walking in the halls of of Arkham when I came across an elevator. Inside was a man in a straitjacket and a sack over his face.

"Are you going in the electric chair or something?" The man shook his head. He extended his hand and pulled me into the elevator.

As the elevator went down, cockroaches spilled out of the mouth and eye holes of the man's mask. I began to panic and scream. He only pulled me closer to him. I struggled and screamed bloody murder.

My eyes shot open to find myself back in my room in the arms of Dr. Crane. He let go and I fell out of bed.

"Are you alright? We heard you screaming."

"Yea, just a nightmare I guess. A really weird dream."

"Why don't you tell me about it," he said tapping at the space next to him. I sit next to him and began to explain. I tell him about the elevator and the roaches. I then started to tell him about the man in the mask, thats when he became very intrigued.

"Describe this man in the mask for me."

"He was wearing a straitjacket and a sack over his face. The sack had eye holes and a mouth hole that looked like it was sewn shut. Roaches were spilling from them."

"Are you afraid of cockroaches?"

"Petrified is more like it." He patted my back in an effort to comfort me. I could tell by the way he patted me, he was really uncomfortable, like he never experienced human contact before.

"Well, I have an appointment in a couple minutes. I'll leave you here to relax and I'll be back right after if you wish."

"Sure. Have fun, Doc," I said as Dr. Crane walked out the door.

(Jonathan's Point of View)

I walk into my office to see Falcone waiting like I expected.

"Did you take care of Eddy?"

"Yea, he won't be bothering you or Myca again," he said smirking.

"Excellent." I plopped some papers onto my desk and sat in my chair.

"Can I ask, what is so special about this girl that she needs to be in your care?"

"Myca somehow has immunity to the panic toxin that people have shipped with the drugs. I don't know why. I want to use her to make a vaccine or antidote so it I could use it on myself."

"How do you know she has immunity?"

"I've been putting the toxin through the vents of Arkham, in every cell. Every other inmate has become terrified, but Myca."

"How do you plan to make this antidote?"

"I will use the cells in her blood. I'll tell her its for a blood test when I extract it."

"But, if Myca is anything like Eddy, then she isn't an idiot. If she's like him, then she'll start asking questions. She'll be expecting results of the so called 'blood test.' What will you tell her? She'll ask why she needs her blood tested. You need to think things through, Crane."

I look at the papers on my desk, thinking of what I should tell Myca if she does indeed ask these questions. I could tell her that its classified information or that its protocol for every inmate.

"Well, while you think of what to tell the girl, I'm needed elsewhere. Good day, Dr. Crane." Falcone walks out of the room and I don't even acknowledge him as he leaves.

What the hell am I going to do? I need to think of ways to explain the blood test to Myca without any suspicions, but if I don't act soon, Ducard will be extremely upset. He's expecting to have the antidote in hand next time he comes here. Making the vaccine will be a no brainer, but getting the things I need to make it will be tricky.

(Myca's Point of View)

I lay here waiting for Dr. Crane to come back. There's nothing to do here but talk to the doctors and Dr. Quinzel is busy with another patient. I don't have anything to read or any music to listen to. I just watch the ceiling fan just go around and around while I whistle a tune. I would even be entertained with a deck of cards right now so I could play solitaire.

"Where the fuck is he?" I actually wish that Crane would come back soon. It even amazes me how impatient I can get. Fuck it.

"Dr. Crane! Where are you? I'm starting to get lonely in here!" I don't hear footsteps or the unlocking and re locking of the chamber door. I walk up the to door and realized it wasn't locked. The green light was on. I twist the knob and slowly opened the door. I look left and right to see if the hallway was clear. I walk into the hallway and close the door behind me. I tip toe to the stairs. I wonder what floor I'm on. I look out the window at the end of the hallway and I'm apparently very high up. I reach for the doorknob that leads to the stairs when I feel a hand on my shoulder.

My heart just stopped and my eyes grew wide. My hand was shaking in midair. I slowly turn around to see that it was Dr. Quinzel. I instantly began to feel relief. Quinzel and I have an understanding.

"Where do you think you're going, Missy?"

"Getting the fuck out of here."

"You know if Dr. Crane catches you, we'll both be in some serious trouble... So try not to get caught. Okay," she said with a smile on her face. I nod my head and open the door to the stairs.

I quickly dart down the stairs. I reach the door to the next floor. I stop in front of the door to peek out the window. I see Dr. Crane coming down the hallway and stop in front of the door. I run from the door and down the stairs as fast as I could. I could hear his footsteps following mine, but he can't hear me because I'm barefoot at the moment. I run faster and faster down the stairs. The further down the stairs I go, the more the lights began to flicker and the dirtier the walls appear to be. Cobwebs everywhere and the dirt on the wall began to look more like dry blood. Then, I felt like I stepped on something sharp. I try my hardest not to scream because I still hear Crane's footsteps right above me. I start to limp down the steps.

I reached a basement-like hallway and looked at the bottom of my foot. I had a tiny piece of glass in my foot. I pluck it out carefully and looked for a place to hide. There was an open door so I ran and hid behind it. I prayed to a god that I don't get caught and that I can escape from this hell.

Crane's footsteps became louder and louder as he came down the stairs. I heard him open the door and walk past me. I could see the back of his head. As soon as he reached another pair of doors, he stopped and looked behind him at me. I quietly gasp in shock and clasp my hands over my mouth to shut me the fuck up. He walked to the door I was hiding behind.

"Do you really think that I wouldn't find you?" The door violently swung away and I was completely visible. Dr. Crane just looked at me, cold face that seemed completely unfazed to anything. He looked down at my foot and I saw a small pool of blood forming around my wounded foot.

"What are you going to do now?"

"Take you back to your room and remember to lock the door. Come along, Miss Vlasca," he said helping me walk to the elevator. We started to have conversations on the way up. He understands that no one wants to be here and people escape a lot due to his employee's carelessness.

"Could you not call me Miss Vlasca?"

"Then, what will you be called?"

"I like your last name. It kind of suits you in a way. Can we keep talking when we get to my cell?"

"Of course we can. Any reason why?"

"I just really like talking to you for some reason. You're a challenge," I said actually smiling. His eyes fixed on the elevator door. Never looked over at me once.

"A challenge? Wow."

We reach my cell and I see Dr. Quinzel at the end of the hall talking to another patient.

"Did you see anyone on your way?" I see Quinzel instantly look at Crane and me.

"No, I didn't. If I ran into someone, they probably would put me back in the cell," I said giving Quinzel a quick wink. She smiled and mouthed the words 'thank you' to me. Crane then unlocked the door and pointed his head indicating for me to go first. How gentleman-like of you Dr. Crane.

I walk in and he quickly followed. He shut the door and locked it. We sit on the cot.

"Why did you tell me you like my last name?"

"I was wondering if I could use it too."

"You want to be Myca Crane?"

"It does have a ring to it, don't you think?" I smiled. I started to slide closer to Dr. Crane. I could tell he was feeling uncomfortable and it was kind of funny for him to show any emotion at all. I don't think I've ever seen him smile.

"Whats your first name? I figured since we're on a first name basis now, I would be allowed to know."

"My first name is Jonathan. You're still required to call me Dr. Crane," he said seriously. I started sliding away from him.

"I'm sorry. I just thought we were friends, thats all."

"A couple minutes ago, you were terrified of me, like I was going to do something terrible to you. Now you think we're friends?" I nod my head and just stare at the floor, trying not to make eye contact.

"I would love to, you're very intelligent and interesting, but I'm your doctor. I'm here to help you, not befriend you. I'm sorry."

"Its fine Dr. Crane. I just feel so alone. I don't know what to do, man. Eddy hasn't even visited today." I clench my fists. Am I really losing all the people I care about?

"When you leave this place, you get to go to a home, you get to sleep in your own bed, you get to walk down these streets and live a life. I don't have a life anymore." I bury my face in my hands and sob.

(Jonathan's Point of View)

I see Myca sob uncontrollably. I start to feel uncomfortable and in an attempt to comfort her, I put my arm around her. I just look at the ceiling thinking of the irony of what Myca just said. If her suicide was successful, then she really wouldn't have a life anymore. She batted my arm away.

"I know you're trying to make me feel better, but hugging me doesn't exactly fill the void where the love of my family used to be. How did this even happen? Am I screwed up, Dr. Crane?" I just stare blankly at her. I don't even know how to answer that.

"I don't think you're screwed up. I think you're just sick and can be helped."

"Great, so I really am crazy. Which means, I don't have to explain my actions. I can do this," she said as she grabbed my face and kissed my lips lightly and quickly pulled away. I didn't even know how to react to that.

"You should probably go. You're probably going to get Dr. Quinzel to look after me from now on, right?"

"No, I'm still your doctor. But, that kind of behavior is not tolerated here. I won't tell anyone what you did today, but you have to behave or there will be consequences.

"I understand. I'll see you whenever you decide to come visit me again, Dr. Crane," Myca said laying on her bed and watching the ceiling fan. I walk out of the room and lock the door. I'm glad I was able to stop myself from doing something incredibly stupid.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know some stuff doesn't make sense, but I'm really trying my best to make this entertaining :(

Tell me what you think anyway.