Status: active

What Lies Within

Cold Hearted Surprises

Sophie looked around the Great Hall for one of her Gryffindor friends. Beside her stood Draco waiting impatiently. Finally she got annoyed when he gave yet another sigh.

"For the love of god, Draco." She turned to glare at him. "Go sit down. I'll be there in a minute." It was then that she spotted Hermione and Harry walking towards her, Ron a little ways behind them.

"Fine." Sophie started to walk towards her friends but Draco grabbed her arm and spun her into his body. She couldn't help but melt against him, smiling up into his own smiling face. He leaned down and connected their lips in a soft kiss. They pulled away, both of them grinning widely. She pecked his lips once more before turning to meet her friends who had their eyebrows raised, silently asking what that display of affection with Malfoy had been.

"How's your father, Ron?" Sophie asked, ignoring their stunned looks. She didn't want to get into her relationship with Draco. She knew they wouldn't understand. Well Hermione would, but the guys definitely wouldn't.

"He's fine. Made it home by the end of the holiday." Ron informed her. Sophie felt herself breath out a sigh of relief. She had been worried about Arthur.

"Did you see your mother at all, Sophie?" Hermione's question made Sophie tense up. She immediately wished that she had kept Draco with her. She didn't want to talk about what had happened and she knew that Draco would have been able to come up with some sort of story about her mother.

"Um well, actually-" Sophie started but stopped when an arm wrapped around her waist from behind and a chin rested on her shoulder. She turned to see the familiar mop of blonde hair that belonged to her boyfriend. "Oh, hey Draco." It still amazed her that he seemed to have been able to tell that she needed him. He was always there for her.

"Sorry to interrupt this little get together but I need to steal my girlfriend back." Draco watched with satisfaction as the trios eyebrows shot up at the mention of the word 'girlfriend'. Sophie felt herself blush but leaned back into Draco's arms more anyway.

"Girlfriend?" Harry questioned, glaring at Draco who grinned back. "There's no way you could get a decent girl like Sophie."

"I agree, I truly am lucky to have such a brilliant and gorgeous girlfriend. It still amazes me that she wants me too, don't worry." Draco turned to smile at Sophie who smiled back and pecked the corner of his mouth.

"You could do so much better, Sophie. I mean... Its Malfoy." Sophie turned from smiling at Draco to narrow her eyes at Harry who was still glaring at Draco.

"I'm not going to explain to you why I've fallen for Draco but I have and he for me. That's all there is to it." Sophie told her friend who sighed. Ron and Hermione stood awkwardly off to the side, unsure of what to say or do. Both could see how happy the couple was but knew Harry looked past that because of his hatred for Draco.

"How many girls have you seen him with, Sophie? How do you know that you aren't just another one of those girls?" Harry questioned making Draco roll his eyes.

"This is none of your business, Potter." Draco spat at the brunette in front of him, his famous sneer in place.

"It is my business, Sophie is my best friend. I don't want her hurt." Sophie then thought back to how Voldemort had questioned her about her friendship with Harry. Perhaps being friends with Harry put her in more danger than Harry could possibly understand.

"Maybe her being friends with you will get her hurt. As she is my girlfriend I have to protect her from being hurt so I'm leaving now and she is coming with me." With that, Draco pulled Sophie away from her friends. Harry called after her but Sophie knew that Draco was right. Being friends with Harry would put her into danger.

"I will never understand how you can stand that kid." Draco muttered as the couple walked hand in hand down the hall towards their first class.

"He's not so bad, Draco." Sophie insisted, earning an eye roll from Draco.

"Being friends with him could be dangerous, Sophie. You heard The Dark Lord." Sophie sighed and nodded, shuddering as she remembered sitting in front of that vile creature who claims to be a man.

"I know." Was her only response. Draco signed, knowing how upset she was about the entire thing, as any normal person should be. He pulled her close and kissed her temple.

"You know that I will do anything to protect you, right?" She looked up at Draco and nodded. She pulled him to a stop and pressed her lips to his.

"I know." She whispered against his lips.

"Good." Came his response before their lips were moving together once more, both of them uncaring of the complaints they were getting from the students walking past them.

_________

The next few months passed in a quick blur. Quidditch kept Sophie occupied, as did her studies. O.W.L.s were quickly approaching and the teachers were loading up the work. Umbridge had basically taken over the school. There were numerous decrees, giving her basically all of the power over Dumbledore. Sophie had not spoken to Harry since the first day back from Christmas. She still spoke with Hermione and studied with her but she was the only Gryffindor she associated with now.

"Babe, Umbridge says she needs us in her office." Sophie looked up from the text book she had been reading to see Draco leaning over the back of the chair in front of her. He had let her study for the last two hours in the library while he hung out with the guys for a little bit.

"Did we do something wrong?" Sophie questioned as she began packing up her things.

"I don't know. Maybe she found out about last night." Sophie froze and looked up at Draco, her eyes wide as he broke into laughter. The night before the couple had cut their last class and went to the room of requirement, a room in the castle that Hermione had told her about. It changed to fit the needs of whoever needed in. For the couple it transformed to a room that looked exactly like Draco's bedroom back at the Manor. They spent the day there cuddling in bed, lost in a very heated make out. Draco had attempted to take it further. Sophie allowed for her shirt to be removed but nothing past that, much to Draco's dismay. It had been a wonderful evening none the less.

"You don't really think she did, do you?" Sophie questioned her boyfriend who laughed and shook his head.

"No, she wants the entire Inquisitorial Squad in her office so I guess she needs us to do something." Sophie relaxed with a sigh and put her bag over her shoulder, taking Draco's extended hand as they left the library, making their way to Umbridges office. When they entered the rest of the squad was already there, as well as some Ravenclaw girl that Sophie didn't recognize.

"What's going on?" Draco questioned as he and Sophie took their places beside the rest of the squad.

"This young lady just informed me of a group that is meeting at this very moment in the room of requirement. A group created by Potter. I need you all to go round up as many of them as you can." Sophie's blood ran cold. She had to go catch her friends and turn them into Umbridge. The thought made her physically sick. Draco took her hand again and pulled her from the room. The Squad broke into a run, Sophie being pulled unwillingly by Draco, to the room of requirement. As they neared it they saw kids dashing everywhere. Sophie's eyes landed on Hermione and Ron running in the opposite direction.

"I see Potter." Draco sneered. He let go of Sophie's hand but she grabbed his arm, pulling him to a stop as he tried to pull out his wand. "Sophie, what are you doing?!" He yelled at her.

"Please, just let him go!" She begged. Draco's famous sneer was on his face, this time directed at Sophie for the first time in months.

"Oh come on, Sophie. You two aren't even friends anymore."

"Draco, please." She pleaded. Draco groaned and watched as Harry continued running away from them.

"I have to do this, Sophie. Think of how grateful Umbridge will be to us if we bring in Potter!" Draco told her but she shook her head.

"I don't care about Umbridge. Do the right thing, Draco." He looked down at her for a second before he groaned and leaned down press his lips to hers. She smiled and kissed him back, thinking she had won. Taking advantage of Sophie's distraction, Draco pulled out his wand and pulled his lips from Sophie's. Before she even realized what was happening Draco had aimed a jinx at Harry. She watched in horror as Harry went down, slamming into the hard floor with a thud. "Draco!" Sophie screamed but her boyfriend was already running at the caught brunette.

"You motherfucker." Harry growled at him.

"Just doing what I have to, Potter." Draco told him, smirking. Sophie finally got to them, glaring at Draco.

"I cannot believe you, you asshole." She screamed at Draco, punching him in the chest repeatedly. "I asked you to do one thing for me and you basically go behind my back." Draco sighed and tried to pull her against him but she shoved him away, glaring at him. "Don't touch me."

"Come on, Sophie. You know that if we didn't catch Potter and Umbridge found out that we had the chance to, we'd be in a lot of trouble." Draco explained but she shook her head at him before leaning down next to Harry who watched her, frowning. He didn't know why she cared so much, since she had stopped talking to him as if he didn't even matter.

"I'm so sorry, Harry." Sophie whispered to her old friend before standing up and after one last glance at Draco she ran off, uncaring that she was supposed to be gathering students for Umbridge. Instead she walked around the hall until she had circled back to the room of requirement. When she got back Harry and Draco were no where around. She stepped up to the blank stretch of wall and closed her eyes, picturing a room where she could be alone for the night. When she opened the door that had appeared she found the room to look exactly like Draco's tree house. She sighed, magically lit a fire and curled up on the couch. She wasn't sure how long she lay on the couch, staring up at the ceiling but she figured that she should be getting back to the common room to sleep.

She went to stand up when suddenly she noticed a single person bed in the far corner. She was almost positive that it hadn't been here when she entered.

She slipped off her robes and stripped down to nothing but her white button down shirt and curled up on the warm bed. She had spent almost every night with Draco since they returned to Hogwarts so laying in the bed alone, no ones arms around her she felt very alone.

She wanted nothing more than for Draco to some how sense where she was and come to her but she knew that he wouldn't be able to. Even if he came to the room of requirement, he would be unable to get on. The thought made her feel even more alone but then she remembered what he did and her anger returned.

Maybe she shouldn't be so mad at him but she had just wanted to protect her friend and he betrayed her. He cared more about power with the professors than he did being kind. The thought chilled Sophie to the bone. The Draco she had fallen for would have never done what he had just done. Maybe she didn't know Draco as well as she thought she did. With that thought, she slipped off to sleep...
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry that it's been a few days. I started a new All Time Low story and have been focusing on that. But, I wrote this really quick for you guys just so there's something.
Thanks for the comments, keep them coming!