Status: active

What Lies Within

Happy Birthday

"Married?!" Draco yelled as he paced back and forth in front of his mother who sat on the couch, staring at her son, her face blank. "We are only 16 years old, barely! We can't get married!" Sophie sat on the couch beside Narcissa, still in shock from the announcement the night before.

"Purebloods are always in arranged marriages at this age." The Dark Lord explained as he walked into the room. Draco froze in his steps and quickly took a seat beside Sophie, pulling her close to him. "The two of you are lucky that you will be married to someone you care about. Most are not as lucky."

"Why do we have to get married? There is no reason to force us to do this. It will happen one day anyway, why not let us wait and do it on our own time?" Draco told The Dark Lord as he sat down on a couch across the room.

"Why? Well because I order it, of course, that's why." He responded, grinning evilly.

"What satisfaction do you get out of seeing the two of us married?" Sophie spoke up, speaking for the first time that morning, she hadn't even said anything to Draco.

"I have known both of your families for a very long time, Sophie. The Hill's and Malfoy's are two of the most influential families in the magical world. Or they were at least. Your mother and I agree, Draco, that joining the two may bring back some honor. The two of you may be able to save the names of Hill and Malfoy after all."

"I still don't understand how us getting married could help that." Sophie retorted. The Dark Lord simply smiled back at her, his expression unchanged.

"That doesn't matter, Sophie. I know what it could do, that's what matters." The Dark Lord told her. Sophie sighed and looked down, pressing into Draco's side a little closer. "I have great plans for the two of you. Such great plans. Would you like to hear them?" Draco and Sophie exchanged looks but said nothing.

"Just tell them." Narcissa whispered. "They need to know."

"Of course. This coming year at Hogwarts the two of you are going to be very useful to me. Draco... you have the most important task I have ever given anyone." Draco frowned at The Dark Lord's words.

"And what is that?" He questioned, slightly afraid. Sophie didn't want to know, she wanted to put her hands over her ears and not know what Draco was to do. She knew it wouldn't be good. Nothing from the Dark Lord ever was.

"You are to kill Albus Dumbledore." The Dark Lord spoke calmly as if he just told Draco to get the mail.

"Kill Dumbledore? Draco can't murder someone." Sophie argued making The Dark Lord laugh.

"Draco... if you don't kill Dumbledore... I kill your precious little fiancee. Understand?" He threatened. Draco gulped and looked down at Sophie who shook her head at him.

"Draco... no. Don't do it." She begged but he shook his head.

"I won't put you in danger like that." He said to her before turning to Voldemort. "I'll do it."

"Great!" Voldemort cheered, smiling. "I also need you to do one more thing for me. There is a broken vanishing cabinet in the Room of Requirement. You are to fix that. There is a sister cabinet at Borgin and Burke's that people may travel between, that is how you will get Death Eaters into the castle on the night you will kill Dumbledore. When the deed is done, you and Sophie, along with the other Death Eaters will return here. Understood?" He explained making Draco nod. "Sophie, my dear Sophie. You are going to be Draco's little assistant. You are also to stay close to Harry Potter, your friendship with him will prove very helpful to me." Sophie simply nodded, choosing not to speak. Though she secretly vowed to stay away from Harry this upcoming year. She was glad her father had taught her Occlumency many years ago, The Dark Lord couldn't know what she was thinking.

"We will do our best to do as you have asked, My Lord." Draco responded.

"Good. You may leave us." The Dark Lord ordered making the young couple jump up from the couch and rush to leave the living room, quickly making their way up the stairs and to their bedroom.

"You are not killing Dumbledore, Draco!" Sophie exclaimed as soon as they entered the room, shutting the door after them. "I don't care what kind of danger that puts me in, I can stick up for myself. You are not a murderer, you couldn't do it."

"Sophie, I have to. I don't want to but I will not lose you when I could prevent it. I'll find a way to do it where I won't be directly involved." He told her as they sat down on the bed.

"How on earth are you going to do that, Draco? Dumbledore is a smart man, he's not going to be easy to murder. If he was than The Dark Lord would be able to do it himself." Sophie told him, resting her head on Draco's shoulder while he wrapped his arms around her tightly, staring at the ceiling.

"I think he's punishing me... or my family at least... because my father got caught at the Ministry, same with your mother." Draco whispered, piecing it all together.

"That's ridiculous, Draco." Sophie insisted but couldn't help but think that it was a logical example as to why The Dark Lord had targeted them. There were plenty of other Death Eater children who would gladly do whatever Voldemort asked of them and they would do it without a second though, even kill someone. "Now I don't want to go back to Hogwarts."

"No matter where we are we aren't safe." Draco agreed making Sophie nod. "I know somewhere you would be safe and protected."

"Where?" Sophie questioned, lifting her head from his chest to look up at him but he kept his eyes on the ceiling.

"The Weasley's." He muttered making Sophie frown.

"What are you talking about?"

"Well... Potter is bound to be staying with the Weasley's this summer... meaning that the Weasley's will have their home under complete protection to keep out the exact people that are staying in this house right now."

"I'm not going to the Weasley's, Draco. I don't care how safe that would make me, I'm not leaving you." Sophie argued making Draco sigh.

"Sophie, I don't want you here. It's too dangerous with the Dark Lord staying here as well." Sophie shook her head and sat up.

"I don't care who is staying here, Draco. I am not leaving you. Wherever you are is where I am going to be. You can argue all you want but I will just argue right back. I'm staying with you." She told him making him sigh and sit up as well.

"Fine." He mumbled. Sophie broke into a soft smile and brought her hand up to his cheek, making him look at her.

"Hey, don't be sad. It's your birthday." She reminded him making him smile.

"Yeah, some birthday. My birthday present is an order to murder my headmaster." He mumbled and shook his head.

"Who said that's your only birthday present?" Sophie questioned, unable to control her grin.

"You got me a present?" He questioned making her nod. She jumped up from the bed and went into the closet. She rummaged around behind her clothes for a minute or so until she finally reached the medium sized box wrapped in green and silver wrapping paper. She also grabbed the smaller box wrapped the same and carried them out to Draco who sat on the bed smiling. "When did you get these?"

"The last Hogsmeade trip. The one I insisted I needed girls time alone with Hermione." Sophie informed him as she sat back down beside him and handed him the boxes.

"Does it matter which I open first?" He questioned, making her shake her head. He put the small box beside him and began ripping the paper off the bigger one. He then opened the box to find several first edition British Literature books that he had been talking about wanting. Little did anyone know but Draco loved to read. It's what he used to spend his entire summer doing. Back when things weren't so bad and before Sophie. "Wow. Sophie!" He gasped, lifting up the books to read the titles. "These are amazing, thank you!" He leaned over and pecked her lips before reaching for the smaller box.

"This one is probably my favorite thing I have ever bought." She told him making him smile. He unwrapped the box and slid it open. Inside the box, sitting on a simple velvet cushion was a green and black threaded bracelet with a small black jewel on it.

"Wow, this is really cool." He lifted the bracelet from the box. Right as he did the black jewel began to glow slightly red. "Whoa." He gasped, looking at it while Sophie smiled.

"As long as that glows like that, it means I'm safe and alright. The person I bought it from taught me this charm I put on it that can sense the well being of the caster. The jewel shows that I am alright. If it goes back to black well then... something is wrong and you should probably come find me." Sophie explained.

"Wow." Draco was at a loss for words. She gave him probably the greatest gift ever. The gift of knowing she was alright, whether he was with her or not. It would calm him and give him some peace of mind. It was perfect.

"This way you will know that I'm okay if we ever get separated or something." She told him, shrugging. He nodded and slid the bracelet onto his wrist, loving the warmth the jewel sent off. It was the same warmth that Sophie herself gave off. It was comforting.

"I love it. Thank you." He told her, she nodded in response before leaning over to press her lips to his.

"So, I did good, right?" She asked when they pulled away from one another.

"You did great. I love both my gifts." He assured her, making her smile and nod.

"Good." Just then the door burst open making them both jump and turn to see Lord Voldemort walking in. "Yes?" Sophie questioned, scooting closer to Draco as The Dark Lord grinned at them both.

"I forgot to tell you something marvelous that is going to happen tomorrow!" He exclaimed, as excited as a two year old seeing candy.

"And what is that?" Draco wondered, afraid of the answer.

"The two of you are becoming Death Eaters!"
♠ ♠ ♠
baldkfhafkh. I wanted to write more but I have to go to work so I can't. I just really wanted to get something up for you guys.

I'm getting back in the groove of this story. I hope that you all enjoy. (: