Status: active

What Lies Within

I Knew I Loved You Even Then.

Ten year old Sophie Hill was curled up in her favorite spot. Beside the small pond on the Malfoy Manor grounds there was a large tree that swept nice cold shadows across the ground. She was curled up at it’s base, staring out at the rippling water. She smiles as she sees a few fish come up, bobbing their heads out of the water for just a second. On the bank across the way she can also see a turtle crawling its way from the water. Sophie had always been so fascinated by nature. A whole environment of plants and animals and bugs could run all by itself, living off each other and the strong and wonderful sun.

“Don’t you have your own house to be at?” Sophie jumps at the boys voice, thinking she had been alone. She turns towards her intruder, finding Draco Malfoy strodding towards her from the direction of the house.

“Yes, but father has friends over.” She mutters, knowing Draco would understand as she’s come to him with the problems of these men before. Sophie’s father’s friends were very mean people and always took to making crude remarks towards her, saying she should be in the kitchen mopping the floor like a house elf.

“What do you come out here and think about, anyway?” Draco asks as he sits beside her. He was close enough to where she felt his body heat but far enough away to where their skin never touched.

“Everything.” Sophie answers with a sigh as she again turns her eyes towards the turtle across the bank who had now nestled into a clump of grass and was chomping away, enjoying his lunch.

While she watched the turtle, Draco watched her. He watched the wonder spread across her face, the happiness and pure joy at what nature could bring. She found nature and the world fascinating and beautiful while she was the one who was fascinating and beautiful in his eyes.

“Don’t you ever wonder how things came to be the way they are?” Sophie then asks, breaking Draco from his thoughts. He starts a little before clearing his throat, trying to play it off.

“What do you mean?” He questions. She turns to look at him, her eyes large and wide.

“Like grass and water, and animals. And most of all... us.” Draco couldn’t help but smile at how cute she looked. She was just so interested and full of wonder.

“I guess that’s just how things are. Things are just put on earth and we go with it.” He answers, shrugging. She gives a small sigh and shrugs as well, turning her eyes back to the water.

Just then, they both hear her name being called in the distance by a female voice. Her mother needed her. Sophie sighed and began to get up, Draco following.

“I’ll walk you back.” He says, making her nod. Together they began to make their way towards the small path that connected their houses.

“I can’t wait to be at Hogwarts next year.” She mutters as they walk. Draco again looks over at her.

“Me neither.” He mutters. He knew that they both couldn’t wait to be at their magical school simply so they were out of their house and away from their families.

“This time next year I won’t be at home taking orders from my parents like a house elf, I’ll be learning to do spells and make potions.” She says excitedly, making him smile.

“You better be in Slytherin or I’m never speaking to you again.” He jokes, nudging her with his elbow. She gives a small, sad, smile.

“You know with my family I’ll be in Slytherin.” With that, they are at the steps of her house. “Bye, Draco.” She hurries up the stairs, not turning back to look at him. He stands at the bottom of the steps until she disappears inside and then with a sigh turns back towards his house. Being with Sophie was the only time he could ever truly be himself.


Draco startles awake. He looks around his dark dormitory, hearing the familiar snoring of his dorm mates. He also felt the very familiar warmth of his wife's body pressed against him. He tries to find what woke him but sees and hears nothing, it must have just been something outside. He settles back on his pillow. Sophie shuffles a little, turning towards him, snuggling into his neck in her sleep. He smiles and pulls her closer.

Even back then, when they were just ten years old, even younger, Draco knew that he loved her. He only had eyes for her, even if he had gotten with other girls over the years. He always wanted Sophie. She brought out the good in him that no one else believed existed, even he doubted it’s existence at times.

He would give anything to go back in time, back to the day by the pond and tell her. Just tell her how he felt about her. Then they could have had the last 4 and a half years together rather than the just one they’ve had now. Instead shortly after that day she began to hate him and he couldn’t blame her. He began to treat her just as her family had, like she was nothing and meant for nothing. He didn’t mean to, it was just the attitude wrung into him by his father, he began to know no other way. Until she brought the light back into his life. She’s saved him and now it was his turn to save her. He needed to complete the tasks set for him and keep her out of harms way.

“Dray.” Sophie mumbles sleepily, lifting her head to look up at him, her eyes tired. “Why are you awake?” She questions. He sighs and kisses her forehead.

“Just woke up for some reason, I’m fine. Go back to sleep.” He tells her, smiling. She gives a tired nod and rests her head back down, instantly falling asleep again.
Soon, he too follows in slumber, having no more dreams or thoughts of the past. When the couple wakes the next morning Draco finds himself just watching her. Watching her interact with others as they get ready and then at the table during breakfast.

“Okay, tell me what’s up.” Sophie says as they begin walking towards their first class. Draco looks over at her, frowning.

“What are you talking about?” He wonders. She squeezes his hand that was clutched in hers, smiling gently.

“You’ve been watching me like every second. It’s not like I haven’t noticed.” She says. He smiles a little and shrugs.

“You’re just that beautiful, I can’t resist.” Sophie laughs and shakes her head.

“Dray, seriously. You’re thinking about something. I know you so just tell me what it is.” She pushes. He sighs.

“Okay...” He starts. “Do you remember when we were ten years old and I came to sit with you at the pond?” He asks. She frowns for a second, searching back through her memory until she landed on that certain day. She smiles and nods.

“That was a nice relaxing day.” She says, making him smile. “Why?” She then questions.

“I knew I loved you then.” He tells her. Her eyes widen as she looks at him. They come to a stop outside of their classroom, ignoring all the students around them. “I had a dream about that day last night. When I woke up.. I just kept thinking about how I should have told you how I felt then instead of turning into my father.” He shrugs. “I knew that day that I would do anything to keep you safe, and that’s what I plan on doing.” Sophie gives him a soft smile before reaching up to press a gentle kiss to his lips.

“You do keep me safe, Draco. And it’s okay that you didn’t tell me how you felt then. Though... I guess I’m guilty of the same thing. I’ve had a crush on you since I was eight years old.” She confesses making him grin. “We’re together now though, and that’s all that matters.” He nods, leaning down to run his nose along hers. She closes her eyes, taking in his closeness.

“Together forever.” He whispers.

“Forever.” She answers in response and then his lips are on hers.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's taken so long. I moved and don't currently have internet at my new house. That will change after this week and I'll be back though! Enjoy this little filler chapter.