Status: active

What Lies Within

Apparition Lessons

"We have gotten no where and it's been over a month!" Draco yells, tossing his wand down on the ground and kicks at the cabinet. Sophie sat in a chair behind him, her knees up and a book resting upon them as she flipped through it.

"We'll get it, Draco." She scolds, looking up at him. "Calm down. Having a fit gets us no where." He turns and glares at her. She just raises his eyebrows at him and stares back until he sighs and looks away.

"I feel so close but nothing is working!"

"Stop shouting at me, I can hear you just fine." Sophie found that she had to stay calm when Draco got like this. It didn't do well for both of them to be yelling, angry and frustrated. One of them had to keep cool. She found it was more often than not her. "We've made progress, Draco. We got the apple to Borgin." She reminded him as she stood up, placing the book in her vacated seat.

"Yeah, and it hasn't come back!" He waved his arms around in frustration. "I just don't know what to do next!"

"We continue with the spell. It's obviously getting us somewhere. So we continue with that, have patience and trust that it will work." She explains to him, walking over to rub at his shoulders from behind. He sighs and relaxes against her touch.

"Yeah, you're right." He mutters. "Think they'd notice if we ditched apparition lessons tomorrow?" Draco had been trying to find a way out of the lessons tomorrow morning for two weeks now. He wanted to stay and work.

"Draco, no. We need to learn to apparate. We're going." She demanded, knowing he had no choice.

So, the next morning they made their way to the Great Hall with the rest of the sixth years and lined up in front of Snape with the other Slytherin's. Sophie found Hermione in the Gryffindor line and they gave small waves to each other.

"Our time could be some much better spent." Draco muttered as a small wizard by the name of Wilkie Twycross had begun his speech about apparition and what was to be achieved over the next twelve weeks of lessons.

"We have plenty of time after this, Draco. Be quiet." Sophie hissed back.

"You know as well as I that time is ticking and we have to do as much as we can." He spat back at her.

"Malfoy, be quiet and pay attention!" McGonagall suddenly yelled. Draco sneered but took a step away from Sophie while Snape glared at him. Sophie shook her head and gave an exasperated sigh but went back to listening to Twycross. Everyone was then instructed to spread out with a five foot gap around each other.

"We can learn this on our own, Sophie. I don't get why you had to drag me here and waste both of your times. You could have come and taught me later." Draco said to her as everyone separated. He stood beside her.

"Time spent learning this from him now would take up the same amount of work time you'd lose if I taught you, Draco. So stop complaining for once and just listen. We'll work after this!" She spat back, tired of his constant complaining that he's been doing all morning.

"You know as well as I do-"

"I'd be nicer to my wife if I were you, Malfoy." Sophie jumped and turned to see Harry behind her, glaring at Draco. Draco sneered back. "There are plenty of people out there willing to treat her better." Draco spun on the spot, pulling out his wand. Sophie grabbed Draco's arm just as the Head of Houses yelled for quiet. Draco pocketed his want, sneered at Harry once more and faced the front. Sophie gave Harry a small shrug and then turned around as well.

Tywcross then went on about the three 'D's to remember with apparition. Destination, Determination, Deliberation. They were then instructed on the count of three to turn on the spot, the three 'D's in mind. At three, everyone spun but no one managed it, of course. Sophie actually stumbled and slammed straight into Draco who laughed and managed to catch both of them before they landed on the ground. Nothing happened the next two attempts but on the fourth Susan Bones of Hufflepuff managed to lose her leg. Twycross explained this as 'splinching'. Basically leaving body parts behind.

"Sounds gruesome." Draco commented about it after they were finally done an hour later. He seemed to have relaxed finally and the cabinet was off both of their minds as they met up with their friends in the entrance hall.

"My dad said he did that during his test." Sophie said, shuddering. Draco laughed and wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

"During his actual test?" He asked, laughing. She smiled and nodded.

"What did he leave behind?" Blaise asked, slightly horrified.

"His arm." She answers. "Needless to say, he didn't pass that go." They all laughed. Sophie found it nice to be able to actually think back about her father and smile and laugh and for once not break into tears.