Status: active

What Lies Within

Sectumsempra

As time passed, Sophie and Draco distanced themselves from the other. Draco focused on the cabinet and his tasks while Sophie decided to finally give him space like he originally wanted in the first place. She went back to focusing on her classes and spent a lot time with the trio.

"Draco isn't looking too good." Hermione says to her best friend one day after class. Draco had been zoned out all through class. He had his arm across the back of Sophie's chair but didn't speak a single word to her or anyone. He had very large dark circles under his eyes and looked like he hadn't slept in days. When he and Sophie made eye contact for more than a few seconds he looked like he was close to tears before he would look away and avoid her eye. He was out of his chair and out of the room before Sophie had even finished putting her book away. She was now walking sadly down the corridor beside Hermione, Ron and Harry trailing behind them as they talked about Quidditch.

"I know." Sophie responds sadly. Hermione sighs, resting her hand on her best friends arm for a second.

"Maybe you should go see him?" She suggests but Sophie shakes her head.

"I will later, I need to study right now though." Hermione sighed but nodded all the same. She had been trying to convince Sophie to go spend some time with her husband for the last week but Sophie resisted and came up with an excuse each time.

"Let's go then." So they bid their farewells to the guys and headed to the library. They studied for awhile before Hermione brought Draco up again.

"I just think you both need a break for a few hours. Go to him and cheer him up a bit. He needs you, that much is obvious, Sophie." Hermione insisted. "It would really help him, I'm sure."

"He wants to do this alone, Hermione." Sophie insists but Hermione reaches over to take her hand, squeezing it gently.

"Okay, if not for him, do it for you." She says. "You need your husband."

"I'm fine." Sophie insists but as she speaks the words she knows that it's a lie. She was really missing her husband. She missed spending time with him, kissing him, loving him, just being with him.

"Go." Hermione pushes. Sophie cracks a smile and begins to put her things in her bag.

"Thanks." She says to her best friend as she stands up. Hermione waves her away, smiling all the same. They share a smile before Sophie leaves the library and heads in the direction of the Room of Requirement. As she walks down a hallway, she hears yelling and the sound of spells bouncing off objects. She frowns and comes up on the boys lavatory. That's when she recognizes the voices as Draco and Harry.

"Sectumsempra!" Harry yells a spell Sophie doesn't know and then silence. Her eyes widen, waiting for her husbands response but after a few seconds there wasn't one. She sees Snape ahead of her, rushing towards the door. The look on his face said that whatever that spell was wasn't good. She gasps and rushes into the room.

The sight before her brought instant tears to her eyes. There was broken glass and porcelain everywhere, an inch of water on the ground from the broken sink but on the floor at her feet was her husband. She watched as his blood, seeping from large gashes in his chest, mixed into the water, flowing towards her. She drops to her knees beside Draco, taking his face in her hands. He looks at her, his eyes fogged over as he struggled for breath.

"Draco," Sophie sobs, wiping at the blood on his face, his blonde hair getting soaked with it. "Stay with me, it's okay." She looks up at Harry who was standing there frozen, a look of horror and shock on his face. "What did you do?!" She screamed at him. He starts to answer but it comes out as a stutter and he shakes his head.

When Snape rushes in, he kneels on the other side of Draco and begins muttering a spell, waving his wand slowly over the wounds on Draco's chest. As Sophie watched, still holding Draco, the wounds seemed to begin to close. She looks back into her husbands eyes.

"Sophie." He breathes, reaching out for her.

"I'm right here, I'm not going anywhere." She tells him. He smiles slightly. As his fingers brush against her cheek gently, his eyes shut. His hand falls weakly at his side as Sophie sobs. "Is he going to be okay?" She asks her professor, looking up at him.

"We need to get him to the hospital. He needs proper attention." Snape answers. Sophie didn't like that answer but allows herself to release her unconscious husband and stands as Snape magics a stretcher and lifts Draco onto it. "Take him to Madame Pomfrey, I will be there as soon as I finish with Potter." Snape sneers Harry's name, glaring at the boy. Sophie casts a glare at Harry as well before she moves the stretcher forward with her wand and heads towards the hospital.

"What happened?" Madame Pomfrey exclaims when Sophie enters the hospital wing. Sophie by now was in full blown sob mode and could barely get out the words. "You need a calming potion."

"My husband!" She yells. "My husband needs help more than me! Focus on him and I will be fine." She sobs. Madame Pomfrey gives her disapproving look before sighing.

"Of course." She says and begins to evaluate Draco. As she does, Snape comes in. He was better able to explain what had happened. "He needs a blood replenishing potion."

"Is he going to be okay?" Sophie asked as Madame Pomfrey went about doing what she needed to for the potion.

"He will be, but it will be quite the recovery." She responds. Sophie felt like she could breathe again so she sits patiently to the side while the nurse worked. "You may stay with him as long as you like." She says when she is finished. "He should wake up shortly." With that, the nurse turns and disappears into her office. Sophie turns back to Snape who had stood silently to the side the entire time.

"What was that spell Harry used?" She wondered, sitting in the chair beside Draco's bed, reaching over to take his cold hand.

"It was a spell that he should not know." Is all he answered with before sighing. "He has been given detention and will get proper punishment for this." Sophie nodded.

"I can't thank you enough for being there." Sophie looks at her husbands pale face. "If you hadn't been...." She trails off, shuddering and having tears well back up in her eyes. The thought of almost losing her husband, and at the hand of her best friend none the less, almost made her sick.

"You may stay here with him overnight and tomorrow during class, I will inform your professors as to where you are." With that he turns and heads out of the hospital, his robes billowing behind him as he walked.

Sophie sat with her husband for awhile until he began to stir, groaning a little. Sophie stands, resting her hand on his cheek.

"Dray?" She says and a second later, his eyes flutter open. He instantly breaks into a weak smile.

"You have no idea how great it is to see your beautiful face." Sophie gives a small laugh, trying to fight back tears.

"Do you hurt? Are you in any pain?" She asks, worried about how he was feeling but he shakes his head.

"I can't really feel my chest though." He answers, frowning.

"That's probably a good thing right now, it was kind of cut open." She informs him. "Don't worry, I'm going to kill Harry later for it." He smiles softly.

"I can't believe the prat almost killed me." Sophie shakes her head, not wanting to think about how her husband almost died.

"I'm just so glad that you're okay." Draco looks up at her, reaching up to rest his hand on her cheek.

"I've missed you so much, Sophie, you have no idea." She smiles softly back down at her husband, taking a seat beside him gently. She grips at his hand tightly.

"I've missed you too. I was on my way to come find you actually, when I heard you and Harry yelling at each other. Then I heard Harry yell that curse, whatever it was, and then when I didn't hear you, I ran in as fast as I could. When I saw you..." She was crying again. "I thought.... I thought that you were..." She couldn't say it. She couldn't say the word dead. Draco sighs, bringing his other hand up to rest on her other cheek.

"But I'm not, I'm still here." He assures her. "You aren't going to get rid of me that easily." He says, making her crack a small smile. They stare into the others eyes for a few seconds, happy to be back together finally. "Kiss me." He whispers, glancing down at her lips. She smiles and leans down slowly. Softly her lips press against his for the first time in ages. She relished in the feel of his lips against hers, the pressure he returned. Tears fell down her cheeks again as she thought about how she was close to almost never getting this feeling again. "What's wrong?" Draco pulls back to ask, brushing her hair from her eyes and then wiped her tears away.

"I'm just... I just love you so much." She tells him, making him smile. He reaches up, kissing her gently again.

"I know." He kisses her cheek softly, his lips lingering against her soft skin for a few seconds. "And I love you." She kisses him again before pulling back and sitting up again.

"You need to rest." She stands up and takes a seat back in the chair beside his bed, pulling it up close beside the bed. She wraps her fingers around his and kisses the back of his hand.

"You'll stay right here, right?" He asks. She smiles over at him and nods. She reaches up with her free hand and brushes his blonde hair from his face.

"I'm not moving from this spot." She assures him. He smiles softly and nods before he closes his eyes. A few seconds later he was snoring softly. She smiled and looked into his pale face, studying ever line and inch of it. She stayed like that for about an hour before the door opened and in crept Hermione, looking around. When she spotted Sophie, she walked over slowly, looking at the sleeping Draco.

"Harry told me what happened." She said. Sophie looks up at her best friend but as soon as she does, she breaks into tears. Sitting in the quite for so long, watching Draco sleep, she kept thinking about how she almost lost this.

"My husband almost died." Hermione sighs and rushes over to Sophie, pulling her into a hug. Sophie cries into her shoulder.

"I know, but he didn't and that's what's important." They pull back from each other.

"When I saw him like that.. I thought I was about to die too." Sophie looks back at her sleeping husband. "I can't be in a world that he isn't in. He and I have both been so stupid the last couple of weeks. Ignoring each other like this doesn't help anything when we could lose each other so easily."

"Well what matters now is that you've realized that and the two of you can get past this and move on." Hermione reassures her. Sophie nods, looking back at Hermione.

"Thank you for being there for me through everything. I know I've asked a lot of you recently, keeping this secret for me, it really means a lot to me that I have you through it all." Hermione smiles, hugging Sophie again.

"That's what best friends are for, right?" Sophie laughs softly and nods.

Hermione stays for a little while longer before heading down to dinner, saying she would stop in to see her in the morning. Draco awoke a little while later, Sophie was reading a book that she'd had in her bag.

"How do you feel?" Sophie asks him but before he could answer, Madame Pomfrey exits her office. She does an examination of Draco's wounds. There were big, red, angry marks across Draco's chest. She had to turn away when she saw them, trying to hide the tears falling down her cheeks.

"You have to stop crying so much, babe." Draco says after Madame Pomfrey was done and left to get them both a plate of dinner, satisfied with Draco's status. She gave him another dose of blood replenishing potion and a potion for pain before he started to hurt.

"I can't help it. Just the thought of losing you..." She shakes her head. He smiles and holds his hand out to her. She takes it instantly, locking her fingers with his.

"I know. I couldn't handle the thought of losing you either. I'd probably be doing the same if the situation were reversed." She nods before looking down at their interlocked hands.

"I'm sorry that we haven't spoken in so long. I've left you alone and I just-"

"Stop." He cuts her off, squeezing her hand. "I don't blame you. It's what I told you to do. I wanted to do this alone." He smiles softly at her. "But let's not stress about it okay? It's behind us. We're together on this from now on, right?"

"Of course. I'm never leaving your side again." She answers almost instantly making him give a soft laugh.

"Good, I won't let you anyway." He reaches up, tangling his fingers in her hair, pulling her down, his lips finding hers. She smiles against his lips, allowing him to kiss her more deeply. As their lips moved together, they both thought about how much they'd missed this and how easily it was to lose it.