Status: active

What Lies Within

Heartbroken

Sophie sat and talked with the trio until it was time for dinner and they made their way back into the castle. She bid them farewell and went to her usual spot with the Slytherin's, taking a seat between Blaise and Crabbe with Pansy, Draco, and Goyle across from them.

"Where have you been all day, Sophie?" Pansy asked her as they all started piling their plates full of food.

"Just hanging out with some friends." She responded, shrugging.

"Well you missed the big news!" Pansy giggled, looking up at Draco who smiled at her. Sophie frowned at her two friends.

"Oh yeah? What happened?" Sophie questioned before cramming a ton of mashed potatoes in her mouth.

"Draco and I..." Pansy started, giggling again. "We're together." Pansy squealed, reaching over to kiss Draco's lips quickly. Sophie felt her airways close up, the food that she had just swallowed making its way back up as she choked on it. She sat their coughing, Blaise awkwardly patting her on the back and offering her a glass of tea before she finally had her airways clear.

"Wait, what?" She questioned, her eyes tearing up from the constant coughing, her throat felt bare. She was also tearing up because it for some reason killed her that they were together. She would never admit that out loud though so she just pretended that the tears were from choking.

"He asked me to be his girlfriend." Pansy told her happily. "I was totally surprised, since he said that there was someone else, but he said it didn't work out with her." She explained, shrugging and smiling at Draco again but Draco was watching Sophie, frowning at her.

"That's great. I'm so happy for you two." Sophie tried to smile through her tears but it was getting too much and she knew that they would start to catch up on the fact that it was more than the choking. "I have to go." She quickly got up and rushed from the room as the tears flowed down her cheeks.

"Sophie!" She heard someone yell after her but she continued running until she finally got to the large prefect's bathroom. She quickly said the password and rushed inside. She sat down on the floor beside the very large swimming pool sized bath tub and let the tears flow out freely. "Sophie?" She looked up to see Draco walking in. Sophie groaned and stood up. Of course he could follow her here, he was a prefect too. She moved past him and into one of the stalls, shutting and locking the door. "What's wrong? I figured you'd be happy for us. I mean, you are the one who told me to ask her out on a date, so I did." His voice came through the hard wood of the stall.

"I am happy for you guys. It just took me by surprise. The choking just really hurt my throat." She said, wiping at her cheeks.

"Will you just come out here so I can speak to your face, please?" He questioned. She sighed and unlocked the door, making him step back as she stepped out.

"So what happened with the other girl that you like? Why didn't it work out?" She asked him, looking down at the ground as she leaned against the side of the stall.

"I saw her with another guy today.." He answered, shrugging. "I figured that it was time to move on."

"Are you ever going to tell me who it was?" She asked, looking up at him to see him smiling and shaking his head. "Do I know her?" He let out a laugh.

"Yeah, I guess you do." He answered, making her frown.

"The only girls I associate with are Hermione and Pansy and seeing as you told me it's not Pansy and you hate Hermione, I can't really know her that well." Draco just laughed again and shrugged before he started to make his way back to the door.

"You actually know her better than anyone else ever could. Of course... I had hoped to know her that well one day too..." Before Sophie could say anything else, Draco opened the door and was gone leaving her more confused than ever.

The next morning, Sophie was dressed and out of the room before Pansy had barely even woken up. She wolfed down some eggs and bacon and a cup of coffee before she rushed to her first class which she thankfully didn't have with any of her friends.

"Hey, where have you been?" Pansy immediately questioned her when she arrived at the dungeons for Potions. Pansy stood clutching Draco's hand.

"In class of course." Was all Sophie responded with before going to stand with Harry, Ron and Hermione, keeping her back to the others.

"Are Parkinson and Malfoy together now?" Harry asked, watching the two as Pansy giggled over Draco and kept kissing him.

"Yup." Came Sophie's response, still not looking at them. Hermione gave her a sympathetic look, knowing that it upset her for Draco to be with someone else. When Snape opened the door and ushered them in Sophie took a seat between Harry and Hermione, completely ignoring Pansy's calls for her to come sit with them.

"I'm sorry." Hermione whispered to her as Snape started his lecture.

"For what?" Sophie whispered back, picking at a frayed edge on her bag that rested on the table beside her cauldron.

"I was so sure that Malfoy liked you..." She said, making Sophie shake her head before she relayed the conversation that she and Draco had in the prefects bathroom the night before, making Hermione gasp and smirk. "He was talking about you, Sophie!"

"No he wasn't, Hermione." Sophie insisted but Hermione just smiled and shook her head.

"Yes he was, Sophie. Who else do you know? Me and Pansy are the only two girls you talk with. What girl do you know better than you know yourself? He is only with her to make you jealous!" Hermione told her, but Sophie shook her head, glancing up to look across the room, finding that Draco was watching her. She stared back at him for a few seconds before turning away.

"I don't even know why it matters so much. I don't like him." She muttered, making Hermione smile.

"You know that I am not one much for relationship stuff, Sophie but I can see that you do like him and I know that he likes you so stop being stupid and talk to him about it." Sophie simply stared at Hermione after she said these words before looking over at the ginger who was talking with Harry.

"You are really going to get onto me about liking someone and not telling them?" She questioned, making Hermione blush.

"I do not like Ron, that's ridiculous." She muttered, shaking her head and Sophie laughed. Sophie looked across the room again to meet Draco's eye. He smiled at her softly, making her smile back before shaking her head and looking down, picking at her nails. She didn't like Draco and he didn't like her, it was as simple as that.