Status: active

What Lies Within

Bad News

Soon enough, November turned to December and the Castle was covered in a thick layer of snow. Christmas Break was quickly approaching and Sophie found herself counting down the days until she was back at home. She loved Hogwarts and all but nothing beat the warmth and comfort of her own home. She also missed her parents dearly, even if they weren't the greatest of company, they were still her parents. With the snow also came Hagrid's return, so Care of Magical Creatures class returned to being full of scary creatures that were always far too dangerous to be allowed in class.

"I am so glad that term is over." Ron spoke as he, Sophie, Hermione and Harry sat around in an empty classroom the evening that term ended. Christmas break started the next day. It was far too cold to go outside so unused classrooms had been opened for the students to go in to relax if they didn't want to be in the common rooms.

"Are you guys going home for break?" Sophie asked them. She knew that Hermione of course was going on a ski trip with her parents, which Sophie found outrageous. Muggles and their silly sports.

"Mum wants us to go home but... she's been kind of busy lately so... we don't know yet." Ron answered for him and Harry. "You're going home, aren't you?" Before Sophie could answer, Draco walked up, making Harry glare.

"Can we help you, Malfoy?" He spat at the blonde who simply ignored him, he didn't even glare at him. He was looking at Sophie, the look on his face made her frown and stand up from the desk she was sitting on.

"Draco? What's wrong?" She questioned him, placing a hand on his arm.

"I need to speak with you..." He glanced at the three Gryffindor's behind her. "Privately." She nodded and lead him over to a corner where they were out of ear shot from everyone else in the room.

"What is it, Draco? Has something happened with Pansy?" Sophie questioned. The two of them were still together. Sophie tried to not be around them as much as possible. It didn't effect her and Draco's friendship much, as they still had quidditch together but her and Pansy hadn't truly spoken in weeks apart from the short amount of time they were in their dormitories or at the beginning of the few classes they had together.

"Well... we broke up, but that's not what I wanted to talk to you about." Draco said, frowning, which in turn made Sophie frown. "There's something you need to read." He rummaged in the pocket of his robes before pulling out a letter and handing it to Sophie.

"Who's it from?" She questioned, not opening it just yet.

"My mum. She asked me to tell you something but... I don't know how to say it so... I'll just let you read that instead." He spoke, shrugging as he looked down at the grounds, his hand stuffed in his pockets. Sophie frowned before she unfolded the letter and began to read.

My dearest Draco,

I hope that the end of term brings you satisfactory grades. I have no doubt that you have done your best and will make your father and I proud. We cannot wait to see you again soon. We have much catching up to do, and I sure do miss you. Now, your father and I are aware that you have been spending quite a bit of time with Sophie Hill, which is why I would like you to make her aware of something truly devastating that has hit her family.

Her father has been killed. He was off doing business and it simply did not go as planned. Sophie was to return home this Holiday but her mother has informed me that she simply cannot handle having company, even that of her own daughter, at the house for some time. Everyone has different ways of coping with tragic events and if she would like to be alone then we must respect her wishes.

Your father and I have decided that as Sophie is unable to return home we would like you to invite her to stay with us this Holiday. We have plenty of room and in these hard times she must want nothing more than to be around friends and those who love her. Since her mother is incapable at the present time, I am the next best thing, as her Godmother. You as her friend must be there for her, this is going to be a very hard time.

Your father and I will see you and Sophie at King's Cross Saturday morning.

Best Wishes,
Mum


Sophie read over the letter time and time again but the words never made sense, it simply would not click in her brain. It couldn't be possible, this couldn't have happened. She looked up at Draco who was watching her, waiting for her reaction.

"I... I don't understand." She whispered as her hands began to shake. Draco sighed and took the letter back, folding it up and replacing it in his pocket. He reached forward to take Sophie's shaking hands between his own, holding them tightly.

"I'm so sorry, Sophie." He spoke softly, watching as her face slowly started to crumple and her eyes welled up with tears.

"It can't be true. Not my father.." She gasped. Draco sighed and nodded his head. He released one of her hands to bring his hand up to wipe her cheeks.

"I wish it wasn't true, I really do, my mother wouldn't lie though. You saw it just as plainly as I did. I wish there was something I could do, some way to fix this." Sophie shook her head, the tears freely pouring down her face.

"My own mother won't see me. I don't understand that." Draco sighed and pulled her into his chest. She clutched onto his robes and buried her face in his neck.

"As my mother said, people just have different ways of coping with things. Your mother just wants to be alone, we have to respect that. She'll come around, you'll see her before break is over, I promise. In the mean time, you get to come home with me." He pulled back to look into her tear stained face, placing both his hands on the side of her face. "We are going to have a lot of fun too. We're going to sleep in late, and sit around eating delicious food, we can play some quidditch together. It will be a great break, I promise." He told her making her nod.

"I can't be alone, Draco. That may be what my mom wants but I can't cope like that." She said. He nodded and leaned down to press his lips to her forehead for a few seconds before pulling back to smile at her.

"You won't be alone, Sophie. I won't leave your side until you ask me to, alright? Until then, I'm never going anywhere." She smiled back at him a little before reaching forward to hug him tightly.

"Can we go somewhere else? It's too loud in here." She said after they pulled back.

"Yeah, we can go to my room. It will be quiet in there, you can take a nap." He told her. She nodded, making him smile and reach down to take her hand, lacing their fingers together. "Come on." He led her through the classroom and to the door. She turned and looked at the trio who were frowning at her, but she shook her head before letting Draco pull her from the room.

"Draco?!" They heard someone yell when they neared the Entrance Hall. They turned to see Pansy running towards them. As soon as she saw Draco holding Sophie's hand she stopped and glared at the two of them. "So this is why you dumped me?! To get with her?!" She screeched. Sophie had a headache forming and her shrill voice did not help it. She cringed and buried her face in Draco's arm.

"No, I broke up with you because you are an annoying, clingy, bitch." Draco responded before he walked past Pansy who's mouth had dropped open. Sophie couldn't help but smile at her surprised face.

"Is that really why you broke up with her?" She questioned him as they continued down to the dungeons and the Slytherin common room.

"Yeah, that and I still like someone else. I figured that getting with Pansy might help me get over her but... no such luck. I've had enough of Pansy, and it wasn't right to use her like that anyway." He answered, shrugging. When they entered the common room they found it crowded with people who didn't want to go out into the snow. They got a few calls from people to come sit with them but Draco rejected them and led them up to his dormitory. They slipped off their shoes and slid under the warm covers of his bed.

Sophie was afraid that it might be awkward to lay with Draco but as she curled against his side, resting her head on his chest while his arm wrapped around her waist, she didn't feel awkward at all. In fact, she had never felt more comfortable. She let her eyes slide shut and in the comfort of his arms, slid off to a restless slumber.

When dinner time arrived, Draco debated whether or not he should wake Sophie. Finally, his own growling stomach got the best of him and he gently shook her, whispering her name.

"Wha-?" She said tiredly, lifting her head to look around her in confusion. When everything sunk back in, she sighed and rested her head back on Draco's shoulder.

"It's dinner time. We should go down and grab something to eat really quick and then we can come back up here, alright?" He told her making her groan.

"I'm not hungry though." She told him at which moment her stomach gave a large growl, answered by his own stomach.

"Well it seems like you are, and so am I. So come on." He sat up, making her have no choice but to get up as well. Sophie groaned and complained as they slipped back into their shoes. "We don't have to stay long or talk with anyone." He told her as he took her hand while they descended the steps into the now empty common room.

"I should probably find Harry, Ron, and Hermione and explain what happened. With our exit they are probably worried." Sophie told him while they walked down the cold corridors.

"We can find them after we eat." Draco answered, making Sophie nod. After taking a seat at the end of the Slytherin table, Draco loaded up both of their plates with food. "Eat up." He ordered her. She sighed and picked up her fork. After they both finished everything, Draco leaned over and kissed her temple. "Good, now come on. Let's go find your friends so we can go back to sleep." She nodded and stood up, leading the way over to the Gryffindor table, easily finding the trio in their usual seats.

"Sophie!" Hermione exclaimed when she took a seat beside her, Draco standing behind her. "What happened today? Is everything alright?"

"Well... no. Something has happened." Sophie started, looking up at Draco who smiled at her reassuringly. He reached forward and placed his hands on her shoulders, rubbing them encouragingly. "My father was killed." The three gasped, Hermione's hand came up to cover her mouth in horror.

"Oh, Sophie!" She gasped. "I'm so sorry." Sophie simply nodded sadly. She felt the tears surfacing in her eyes again. She reached up to her shoulder and grasped one of Draco's hands. She felt more calm when she touched him, more sure of herself. She didn't know why, but it sort of scared her that she seemed to depend on him so much.

"So are you still returning home for Holiday?" Ron questioned, making Sophie give a sort of half shrug.

"I'm going to stay with Draco and his family. His mother is my Godmother, so she offered for me to come stay with them." Sophie explained, making the three of them nod. Harry had to admit that even though he hated Draco with a passion, he could see that he truly was different with Sophie, it kind of shocked him how he seemed to be a completely different. He seemed compassionate, caring, and seemed to be concerned for the girl clutching at his hand as if it were her lifeline.

"I'm so sorry, Sophie." Hermione said again before pulling the girl into a hug.

"Thanks, Hermione." She gives her friend a smile. "I'm exhausted so me and Draco are going to go. I hope you two have a nice holiday though, I'll see you when term resumes." With that Sophie got up and her and Draco left the Great Hall. After they were back in the warm confines of Draco's bed, she let a few tears escape her eyes again.

"Soph?" Draco whispered after feeling the wetness of her tears on his collarbone.

"I just don't want to believe it." She responded, wiping at her tears.

"I know, I don't either." Sophie sighed and shook her head.

"Thank you, Draco. For everything. I wouldn't have been able to get through today if it weren't for you." She told him, making him smile even though she couldn't see it in the dark.

"I know that I haven't been the greatest person to you in the past few years but... I'm here now and I promise to always be here, like I said, until you order me away." He said. She grinned and snuggled into his warm body.

"Then expect to be around me for the rest of your life." She responded quietly, making him chuckle and pull her closer.

"There's no where else I would rather be." Sophie had to admit that Hermione just may have been right(wasn't she always?). Draco just may like her. The thought, though it may not be true, let her fall asleep with a smile on her face none the less...