Status: Drabbles

Tales From The Baker Family

Broken Bones

She was playing on the uneven bars. She looked so graceful showing off for me. She did a" plain dismount" as she called it.

"Let's try giants Bree," her coach smiled at her.

She rolled her eyes and walked towards the chalk bowl.

"You look pretty in a pink and black leo," I smiled at her.

"You come do this shit," she rolled her eyes and grabbed the springboard.

"I would, but I'm not that stupid babe," she blew me a kiss.

She bounced on the board. She sighed and moved it closer. She jumped and tapped the high bar.

"Want me to pull it for you?" I smiled at her.

She nodded. She stepped at the end of the mat. I watched her round off and bounce off the mat and hit the high bar. I grabbed the springboard from under her. She had a determined look on her face as she swung on the bars. She kipped and stopped.

"Think I can do two giants and flip off?" she looked at me.

"You'll hurt yourself," Spordy started to record.

She laughed and cast herself into a handstand on the bars. I watched her spin around. She looked like she was mad, until she let go. Then she twisted and landed wrong. She limped a little, but smiled.

"Hurt yourself?" she flipped me off.

"No. Carry that to the vault runway dear," she took her grips off.

She was walking like her knee was messed up. I sat the board down and walked to the side of the runway. She warmed herself up. I watched her throw what looked like a suicide vault. She fell down and stared right at me.

"No more vault?" I watched her get up.

"Beam," she walked to the thin sports utensil.

She climbed on and sat down.

"No routine, dismounting," she stood at the end of the beam. I watched her take one leap and round off. She got up in the ait and did a double back and all you heard was a snap and a scream.

"MY FUCKING LEG!" I watched in horror as she screamed.

Her coach called 911 and Briley was hell bent on getting up.

"Nope," I sat behind her and held her.

She just stared at it.

"It broke. Over a fucking dismount. Are you shitting me!" she slapped the ground with her hands.

She was mad, crying and slapping mats. I watched the paramedics try to put her on the stretcher. She was cross-armed pissed.

"Cheer up," I kissed her.

"My. Leg. Is. Broken. Shut. The. Fuck. Up," I smiled and looked at the deformed leg.

"You're laced up," she giggled.

"Adrenaline has made the pain easier to handle," she held her shaking hands up.

"Just breathe," she took my hands with hers.

The ambulance ride was the only thing making me nervous.

-

Four hours passed before she was out of the O.R. Four hours of sitting in a hospital. Spordy was ready with the camera.

"She's awake," the doctor smiled.

I pushed past him and towards Briley's room. She was laughing.

"Hey gorgeous," she looked at me with drool running down the side of her mouth.

"Hey!" she was still laughing.

"Recording Briley's anesthesia reaction," Spordy pointed the camera at her.

"What's so funny," I sat on the bed next to her.

"I tore my ACL and my MCL again. My tibia broke," she was still laughing.

She wiped her mouth and looked at me.

"They tried to poison me! They stuck a needle in my arm!" she looked down at the IV and was staring at it in horror.

I bit my lip to refrain from laughing, but I busted up anyway.

"Not funny! They stuck this white shit in my arm and told me I'm going to be cold, but I'll be fine!" Spordy was dying from laughter.

"Coldon!" I stared at her.

"What?" she smiled.

"I love you," she hugged me.

"I love you too, but no more getting hurt," I kissed her forehead.

She was asleep on my chest. I looked at Spordy.

"I swear. She gets hurt so much," I flipped him off.

I watched my crazy monkey sleep in my arms. I knew tomorrow when we showed her this video, she was going to flip.