Status: Coming to a computer near you soon!

The True Afterlife

1/1

Julian heard the footsteps stop before a pair of sneakers appeared in his line of vision. He kept his gaze on the hospital’s tilted floor, hoping the owner of the sneakers would get the point. No dice. Cold fingers brushed his cheek before anyone spoke.

“I’ve never been one for I told you so’s.”

“Yet?” Julian said finally looking up. Christian was all long and pointed limbs held together with an aristocrat’s elegance. His gaze however was icy sharp and incurious.

“Yet here we are and I don’t think it even needs to be said.” Julian clenched his jaw.

“I can fix this.” Christian’s gaze didn’t soften.

“Of course you can but not with love and ignorance. You know how this works Julian and you’re a fool if you think you can beat the system.”

“I’m not trying to fool it . . .” Julian whispered. “I just . . . want it to leave her alone.”

“No one’s doing anything Julian. That’s the problem. Something should have been done years ago but your too selfish-“Julian had Christian pinned to a wall as he yelled in his face.

“I’m not selfish! She didn’t deserve that and she definately doesn’t deserve this!” The waiting room was quite around them. Christian didn’t even flinch.

“That isn’t Audrey.” Julian slammed Christian into the wall again.

“Shut up!”

“Would the Audrey you have known butchered herself to try and cut demons out?”

Julian had no answer but to collapse and try and remember how to breathe. The next words he heard pertaining to Audrey included schizophrenia.
• • •

Audrey rolled the pills in her hand. Some were blue, orange and pink others pure white. Julian waited patiently with a cup of water. After a moment her movements stilled then she tossed the pills to the ground.

“I’m not taking them.” Audrey said flatly. She turned back to her laptop and resumed scrolling. Julian closed his eyes before picking the pills up. He threw them away but tapped out a new set. He sat them on the dresser and his girlfriend stiffened slightly.

“Audrey . . . you want to get better right?” She leaned closer to the screen and allowed her hair to cover her face.
“Audrey I need you to do this. For me?” Audrey squeezed her eyes shut.

“I already tried to get better but you wouldn’t let me.” Julian reached out and gripped her chin. Audrey turned to him and stared with wide eyes.

“You could killed yourself. Don’t you understand that?” Audrey’s eyes dropped down to the still tender scars on her arms and legs.

“I needed to cut them out." She whispered.

• • •

Julian laid Audrey in the bed. For once she looked peaceful with no hallucinations haunting her. He could still see the effects Aubrey's illness was having on her. Her light brown skin was ashen and she was too thin. She also refused to take her pills.

" They're not helping!" She'd yell. If he pressed the issue she'd start screaming and wouldn't allow him near her for hours. Julian was forced to drug her just so she could sleep.

He curled next to her and buried his face in her hair. This was the only time she was happy. When the drugs would numb her and make dreaming impossible.

Audrey groaned and shifted in her sleep before knotting her fingers in the sheets. Had the drugs really worn off so fast? She started shaking violently as if she was being torn apart by unseen forces.Julian held her tightly to make sure she didn't break.
• • •

"Could you be any slower?" Audrey called back. Jillian bit back a witty remark. She was getting better. She downed the pills at their assigned times and spent less time locked away.

Her hair was brushed cleanly into a ponytail and she was dressed in a scoop neck paired with a skirt over tights. Normal Audrey clothes. They doged througj the crowd and ended up in their favorite smoothie bar. Audrey ordered for them.

"A banana orange combo and a strawberry cherry." As the smoothies where made the couple snuggled together and chatted. For once in a long time they where normal.

• • •
She got worse. Voices, hallucinations and he wasn't even allowed to look at her for too long. Julian had long since given up on her medication. The only thing that seemed to help was reopening the scars on her skin.

The doctors talked of locking her up. "In a treatment center where she could get the help she needs." It meant taking her away from him.

He refused. As the love of his life fought a battle in her own mind one thought permeated his own psyche.

"She's not schizophrenic, it's actually happening."
• • •
Julian was woken up by a kiss to his lips. He startled and was surprised to see Audrey. Fresh bandages, already stained scarlet, bound her arms. Her lips curled into a smile as she slid into his lap.

"I'm so sorry Julian."

"You have nothing-" She quoted him with another kiss. It was tender full and of sorrow and stuff desperation. She pulled back and smiled.

"I'm sorry for everything I've put you through. I'm sick and twisted and crazy. . ." Julian's mouth was pressed to hers in an instant. He pulled away but kept their foreheads together.

"You are not crazy. You are sinless and pure . . ." She shook her head furiously.

"I'm-"

"Without sin." He pressed. He wrapped his arms around her as tears burst from his eyes.

"It's my fault. All mine." They stayed like that until her breathing evened out. Once he was sure she was asleep he kissed her once more then killed her.

• • •

It wasn't a knife to her throat or pressing a pillow over her face. As a reaper all Julian had to do was caresses her cheek and let his magic flow.

A white light burning gold spilled over Audrey's face. Her chest rose one, twice, three times before it stilled. She went completely limp in his arms and Julian let out a broken sob.

"You did what was right Julian." He didn't have to turn to recognize Christian's voice. Julian wrapped Audrey in his blanket silently.

"Her true death was years ago. By not not reaping her soul you allowed it to rot and die inside of her."

Julian finally turned and saw Audrey standing next to Christian. She looked about nineteen and was gripping on tightly to the older man's hand. Her,lips where plump and pale pink. Her hair glossy and her skin a rich light brown.

The best he'd seen her in years.

"I was so selfish. . ." Julian whispered. Christian nodded.

"You had lessons to learn and this was one of them. " Julian stood up after securing Audrey's body on the bed.

"I thought you said reapers are chosen at birth and become so after we die?" Christian shrugged.

"I lied. Reapers are chosen when their scale of good and bad is equal. So your forced to learn lessoons you missed in life. Living loving and death are the most important. We all shall live, we all shall love and we all shall die." His eyes flickered to Audrey's sprit at his side.

"No matter how short life is cut. But now Julian Spell,it's your turn." Julian was confused until Christain held out his hand. The same golden light that Julian had saw was now in the older man's hand.

"You have leaned your lesson Julian and flipped your scale to good. Come join the true afterlife."

Julian spared one last glance at Audrey's earthy form then took ahold of the fellow reaper's hand. His other he slipped into the hold of Audrey's sprit. She smiled and as the light envolped them all Julian heard her speak.

"Thank you for setting me free."
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for mistakes. I finally was finally able to get onto the computer where the story was saved. Just in time for the deadline.