Status: Complete, I own nothing but my own characters, and title credit goes to the amazing Mayday Parade :)

'Cause Baby I'm a Dreamer for Sure

Chapter 13

Derek sang the final lyrics to Jamie All Over, and the chords rang out signaling the end of the concert. The crowd was wild and a bit sad to see the guys walk off stage, but I was pretty happy. I quickly found being a sound tech wasn't as easy as it looked, but I think I did well over all. Although Mike didn't say anything as he walked over to the guys leaving me to my thoughts as I looked for Lacey. I found her standing off to the side looking at Alex, as he listened to what Mike said. Occasionally Alex would glance over to her and sent her a smile before bringing his attention back to the conversation at hand. I took this moment to go to my best friend.

"So, you and Alex, huh?" I said teasingly with a smile on my face.

"What? No, we're just friends. I was cheering him up after a break up." She responded, stumbling over her words a bit and her cheeks a faint pink. "Just like Brooks did for you."

"If you say so, but the way he looks at you, I'd say it was more than cheering up." Lacey didn't get a chance to respond as Mike left the guys and they headed towards us. I didn't really pay much attention to their expressions, for my gaze was locked with Brooks', neither daring to be the one to look away first. It wasn't until Derek spoke that I reluctantly looked away.

"So Annie, about the sound tech job." He didn't sound or look to happy which caused my high hopes and dreams to slip away. "You're hired!" He said happily. A smile appearing on his face. I stood there shocked for a moment, happiness and a little bit of anger filling me.

"Derek Sanders, I can't believe you just did that." He looked completely confused, but I continued before he could speak. "You had me worried I was going to have to tell my parents I was coming back home, that my music dreams were a waste of time!" A smile appeared on my face then. "But on a happier note, I got the job!" I shouted jumping up and down. Lacey joined me by hugging me and screaming with joy as well. The guys just laughed at us, not fazed by our craziness at all.

"Sorry I worried you." Derek apologized once Lacey and I stopped jumping.

"It's okay, I forgive you!" I said as I hugged him, he happily returned it. A smile was plastered on my face as I pulled away. I had to be dreaming I just got a job working for my favorite band, my parents were wrong about my dreams. Oh no, my parents. My smile quickly faded as the thought hit me. The guys noticed my change in attitude as well.

"You okay girlie?" Jake asked concern filling his voice. Jessica, Ashley, and Lauren had joined us now as well.

"My parents, I never told them I had quit, and now my mother's going to freak because I'm going to be traveling and still working a job she hates." I said running a hand through my hair.

"It's your life, you can't always do what they like and want." Jessica said with agreements from Ashley and Lauren as well.

"I still dread telling them though." I said just realizing I was close to tears.

"It's going to be okay." Brooks said placing a hand on my shoulder and making me jump. I hadn't realized he had come to stand beside me. I looked up at him with tear filled eyes.

"You don't know my mother, she'll try to make feel horrible about leaving and do anything to get me to come home." Brooks wrapped his arm around me then, bringing me into his side as I wrapped my arms around his waist. He was sweaty from performing on stage, but I didn't care, I needed his comfort.

"No one said you had to talk to your parents alone. You can call them and put it on speaker and we'll talk with you." Brooks stated rubbing my back in an attempt to calm me down. I groaned burying my face in his shoulder before agreeing.

"Annamarie Alexandra Holton!" My mother shouted on the other end. "We had an agreement that if the job didn't work out you would come home and continue for an art major."

"I know mom, but now a new job has been given to me in the same line of work so what does it matter?" I knew the yelling was coming, but this time dad wasn't there to help.

"A promise is a promise, Annie." My mother stated in a matter of fact tone.

"Mrs. Holton, Annie here is amazingly talented as a sound tech and this is a wonderful job opportunity for her. Once in a life time deal you can't let her pass this up." Derek said respectfully to my mother. "My band members and I would love to have her help out with sound, our sound tech now said she did an amazing job and wants her to help him out. Please let her take this job."

"And if this one doesn't work out, mom, I swear I'll come home." I added

"Annie, you'll be the only girl there surrounded by men, I can't let that happen. If you had Julie with you it would be better and besides you promised your father and me that you'd come home if the first job didn't work." She said a bit more calmly, but then told us to wait as we heard her talking to someone else before we could respond. After a few moments, my dad's voice rang through the speaker.

"Hey Angel, your mother explained the situation. I was going to let you have one more attempt, but your mother brings up a reasonable point about you being the only girl." He said ruefully.

"She won't be the only girl though." Alex said suddenly. "She won't be because Lacey's coming too." He said smiling at Lacey who smiled back happily.

"Well, then Angel. Good luck with your second try." My dad said happily and I knew my mother was furious, her protest could be faintly heard.

"Thanks daddy, you're the best!" I said before we said our goodbyes and I love you and hanging up.

Lacey was still grinning from ear to ear at Alex looked to me a couple times. I hugged Derek who was sitting beside me, thanking him for helping as Jake and Cabbage high fived. Derek left after the hug to go find Lauren to help with the kids, opening up space on the couch that Lacey took as she shared an unspoken conversation with Alex. Before Derek left I was squished between him and Brooks, and although his leave allowed enough room for me to put some space between Brooks and myself, but I didn't budge as I stared into gorgeous blue eyes. Brooks put his arm around my shoulder giving me a slight hug, but never let go, keeping me close to his side. I didn't mind though as I rested my head on his shoulder and draped my arm around him, completely forgetting the whole 'just friends' thing from the night before. Just as I got comfortable my phone buzzed letting me know I had a new text message. It was from my dad.

Daddy: Forgot to mention on the phone call, but Julie told us about Ben cheating on you. I'm so sorry Angel.

Fresh tears stung my eyes, but I refused to let them fall. I was tired of crying over Ben, he didn't deserve my tears. I closed my phone quickly after reading it, but I knew Brooks had seen it when his hold on me tightened and his head came to rest on mine.
♠ ♠ ♠
Not much for me to say this chapter except thank you to my lovely readers and my one person who has commented. :)

Comments and advice welcomed. Hope you are enjoying so far.