Status: Complete, I own nothing but my own characters, and title credit goes to the amazing Mayday Parade :)

'Cause Baby I'm a Dreamer for Sure

Opportunity Arises

The cafe Ben told me to meet at was in sight, all I had to do was walk through one more light and I'd be there. I dressed nice but not too dressy to meet Ben's friend, because first impressions are important to me. I also brought my laptop as Ben requested earlier that day, although I don't know why. I'd find out soon enough.

I walked into the cafe; the smell of coffee was strong but not so much where you couldn't stand it. It was fairly crowded but I could recognize Ben anywhere; he was sitting further towards the back, but he was alone. Fear I was late bubbled inside me, but I headed his way with my head held high and a smile on my face.

"Annie, you made it!" Ben exclaimed as he stood and hugged me, placing a gentle kiss on my cheek when he pulled away. "Take a seat Annie." He said claiming his seat once again and gesturing towards the seat beside him.

"I'm not too late am I Ben? I mean your friend didn't get tired of waiting and leave, did he?" I asked making myself comfortable and setting my things on the floor beside me.
"No he went to buy him something to drink. I gave him some money and asked him to buy you something too."

"Ben you shouldn't have done that, but I'm glad I wasn't late enough to make him leave."
"You weren't late Annie!" Ben exclaimed laughing.

"It felt like I was." I admitted looking down at the table before hearing a new voice address us.

"Sorry Ben that line took forever. Oh, you must be Annie. Ben's told me a lot about you. I'm Johnathan Skies." He said with an outstretched hand and a charming smile. I had to admit, he was quite handsome with his dark hair falling a bit in his green eyes. He had a tan completion too.

"Nice to meet you too." I said taking his hand and smiling back. "So, Ben told you were in the recording business?" I asked once he sat down.

"Yeah, I work at one of the recording studios in Tallahassee, Florida. It's one of the studios that does recordings for bands signed with Atlantic Records and Fearless. Although we do some work with other bands outside those as well, but not that often. Oh and here's your drink, hope I got the right kind." He said handing my drink.

"Thanks, actually you got my favorite type and the fact that you get to work at a recording studio is amazing. I wish I could, but my parents won't allow me to." I said taking a sad sip of my drink.

"Why don't they allow it? You're a grown woman; shouldn't you be able to go after whatever career dream you want?" Johnathan wore an expression of clear confusion as he spoke to me which I returned with a sad smile.

"Not in my family. My parents were raised where their parents told them everything they were going to do in their lives up until marriage and that's the way their raising me. I hate it though, I would love to go into the music business, but they want me to go for art and believe my love for music is a hindrance to my artistic talents."

"Music is art, just in a different form. Just like a painting can for some, music can take you to a different place. It's a way to express yourself just like art is, so it makes no sense why your parents won't allow you to pursue your dreams. Unless you haven't voiced your opinions." Johnathan was straight forward with what he thought; I liked that in a person. I would rather them speak their mind, than cover up their thoughts with false words.

"I have many times, believe me, but every time I say that I don't want to major in art they go off on me. My parents will tell me that society is turning me into a rebel child and what not; or that I just don't respect them and want to go against their wishes when they know what is best for me or not." I said my voice beginning to waver slightly from my mixed emotions of sadness and annoyance.

"I believe parents do know what's best for their child to a point. When the children are so young and reckless is when a parent knows best, but once their child is mature and able to make wise decisions is when the parent needs to back off and let their child learn more from their mistakes than from the parents." Johnathan stated strongly. I have to say he was making an excellent first impression while I was almost sulking about my family's stupid made up tradition. "I think if you have a passion for music you should follow it Annie and forget about what your parents think is best. Although I'm not saying disown your parents or anything, but sit down and let them know what you want and don't want and what you want to do in your life."

"You're right Johnathan!" Ben agreed suddenly. He had been so quiet during the conversation that I had almost forgotten he was there. "Annie you are an amazing artist, but you're also a very talented musician and know a lot about the tech stuff for music. You could make it far in the music industry, I'm sure of it." Ben was glowing with excitement as he looked at me.

"Speaking of which," Johnathan began drawing my attention back to him. "If you know so much about music and how to record it and what not, there's a paid internship at my studio, if you’re interested."

"I would love to Johnathan, really I would, but I'm really not as good with all of it as Ben's making it sound. I mean I helped with the sound for a small band at the fair once, but I had tons of help." I was getting uncomfortable with where this conversation was heading. "Besides, you said it was in Tallahassee. I'd have to leave home and I can't afford my own place right now."

"Oh come on Annie, quit being modest!" Ben practically yelled at me before quieting down. "Did you bring your laptop like I asked you to?"

"Yeah, why?" I asked hoping he wasn't doing what I thought he was.

"Just give it to me, please."

"Ben, what is so important about my laptop?" I asked as I placed it on the table. Ben took it and brought it up without responding. Three smiling faces looked at us, The Perrys. I loved all types of music, proof was that my computer background changed almost every month, and right now my favorite country band, The Band Perry, was occupying my screen right now. Ben started going through my files, and he proved my suspicions right when he clicked my music folder.

"Ben, don't bring those videos up. They're terrible." I begged knowing he wasn't going to listen. Johnathan was looking at the screen, curiosity floating in his eyes as he watched Ben go through the folders to find the right video.

"Annie is amazing; she recorded herself playing guitar and singing and made it look like a professional did it. I helped record a bit, but she told me how she wanted me to do it." Ben explained. "She messed with the picture some and played with the sound and if I hadn't seen her do this herself, I would have thought she paid someone." Ben said and then music came from the speakers of my computer as the boys watched my video, while I hid my face blushing like mad.

"You did that?" Johnathan asked in awe once the video ended. I simply nodded as in answer. "You were amazing and you did a terrific job with the editing! You are exactly what we need at the studio."

"I told you, even if my parents did allow it, Tallahassee if a few hours away I would have to move and I can't afford it."

"You wouldn't have to pay. My parents bought my sister a small apartment and are paying for it completely. You could room with her for a while until you get on your feet. Come on Annie; let me talk to your parents with you about this, please. No one I have interviewed today has had anything like you did. Please." Johnathan was truly begging me now; his hands were folded together and he was leaning across the table in front of me. Ben was also giving me a pleading look, so how could I say no. I want to work in the studio, I loved helping out with the band at the fair and this is even more of an opportunity for me. What could it hurt to try?

------------------------------------------------

"You're kidding me right?!" My mother practically yelled. Johnathan had just finished explaining to my parents about the job and that I fit the requirements almost perfectly.

“Mom, it is a great opportunity for me. I know you want me to be an art major, but I just don’t’ want that! I love music, and I’m really good at it.”

“She’s amazing.” Ben added trying to help me out only to receive a rather nasty glare from my mother.

“Don’t even try. I know you had a part in this ridiculous idea that she should something in music.” Venom practically dripped from my mother’s every word. She never truly approved of Ben, but knew he treated me right so she allowed us to date, even if she didn’t particularly like him. Dad on the other hand was a bit more laid back than mom.

“Darling let’s just hear the kids out.” My father said placing a hand on my mother’s shoulder. “Now Angel, you an amazing artist, so why are you choosing music over art?”

“Daddy, don’t get me wrong. I love art, but it’s not what I want to do for the rest of my life. It’s more of a past time rather than a career choice, but music. Music I could live for. Please, just this once let me go after my dream, let me decide for once what I want to do.” I was hoping I wouldn’t have to resort to begging, but I did, and it took me a minute to realize a lone tear was making its way down my cheek.

“Angel, why don’t you let your mother and I talk for a minute.”

“Yes sir. We’ll be in the basement.”

Johnathan, Ben and I made our way out of the kitchen and to the basement. This is where I spent most of my time, the basement was finished; it had nice carpet, some furniture, stereo, my guitar, and a pool table.

“You guys want to play a quick game while we wait?” I asked making my way to the table and began setting it up.

“Sure might as well.” They agreed and helped me set up.

We played two games, one in which I won and the second Johnathan won, and were now in the middle of our third game. Johnathan made an impressive shot when my parents interrupted; we hadn’t even realized they were there.

“Nice shot there.” My dad complimented as I ran and turned off the stereo. “Why don’t you kids sit down on the couch so we can talk?”We followed my dad’s request and sat on the couch waiting for them to begin. My mom looked livid and I knew what was coming next.

“Angel, your mother and I talked things over and decided to give this Tallahassee thing a chance.” Maybe I didn’t know, but I was beginning to like where it was heading. “We will allow you to go live with Johnathan’s sister if, that’s alright with her and their parents, and we will let you try this job and see where it goes from there.”

“Really?” I asked unable to believe this. A warm smile came to my dad’s face.

“Yes, Angel really. You aren’t like your mother and I, we loved what our parents chose for us. You’re more like my younger brother who disliked everything about the tradition and wanted things his way and eventually cut off all ties with our family. We don’t want that to happen, so we decided to give this a chance.” I knew when my dad said ‘we’ he really meant that it was just him that decided it and my mother had to accept it, but I was ecstatic.

“Thank you daddy!” You won’t regret this, I promise!” I said hugging him tightly. I hugged my mom quickly, but she just stood there. I didn’t care though, I was going to be working in a music studio and nothing can ruin that for me.
♠ ♠ ♠
http://www.polyvore.com/casual_meeting/set?id=58435507 This is what I imagined Annie to be wearing to meet Johnathan. Mayday will come into the picture shortly, promise! :)