Status: Complete, I own nothing but my own characters, and title credit goes to the amazing Mayday Parade :)

'Cause Baby I'm a Dreamer for Sure

Chapter 6

I sat on the bench outside of the studio waiting for Johnathan, knowing he'd probably come looking for me sooner or later. My tears had subsided now and dread filled me as I thought about what I had done.

How was I supposed to tell my parents that I quit my job that they believed I loved? I had never told them how miserable I was working under Lampton, and if I tell them the truth and that I quit, I'll be back home and becoming an art major like my parents want. I didn't want to sit here and think to myself anymore, and it didn't seem that Johnathan wasn't coming any time soon, so I pulled out my phone. I ignored the fact that Julie had texted me back and called Ben. The phone rang, but I was sent to voicemail, which he never let me go to voicemail. I tried not to let that get to me as I decided to call Julie next. She picked up immediately.

"Annie!" she shouted excitedly on the other end and I couldn't help but smile a little.

"Hey Jules." I didn't sound as excited to say the least.

"Your boss giving you a hard time, hun?" She always acted motherly to me which was annoying at times, and welcomed at others. Either way she was one of my best friends and I loved her.

"Actually he won't be bothering me anymore." I replied bitterly.

"Did he get fired!?"

"'Fraid not." I took a deep breath before continuing. "Jules, I quit my job." Tears began to blur my vision again, but I refused to let them fall.

"You didn't?! Annie, why would you do a dumb thing like that?"

"I don't know, Jules. He was yelling at me for trying to help him and Derek and the others heard, and I just lost it. Julie, what am I going to do?" So much for not crying; tears slowly began to cascade down my cheeks as I spoke.

"Well you can't tell your parents, that’s for sure. They'll have you back here and on the art major road faster than you could say Mayday." She was trying to make me smile by mentioning my favorite band, but it wasn't helping much this time.

"Of course I can't let them know, they'll try to take music from me completely! Hey Jules, do you know why Ben didn't pick up when I called him?" I asked changing the subject suddenly.

"Annie, that's a conversation for later. I'm sorry, but I can't explain it to you right now. Hey, I've got to go, my mom just called me for something. Everything, will work out for the best. Love ya!"

"Jules you can't go!" I shouted but the line went dead. How could she just end our conversation like that? Tears were still falling down my face as I stared down at my phone. It buzzed letting me know I had a text, so I checked it. It was from Julie.
Jules: Annie, I'm really sorry to hang up on you like that, but now's not the time to talk about Ben. Just get Johnathan or his sis and go have fun and get your mind off things. Or better yet Mayday Parade. Love you and I'm sorry things aren't going the way you planned.

I also looked at the one from before.

Jules: We need to talk about Ben.

What did she mean by that? What could Ben have done? As I was sitting there thinking things through, I hadn't even noticed someone sat beside me till they put their hand on my shoulder causing me to jump.

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you." It was Derek. I hadn't even noticed that he and his band mates left the building.

"It's fine. I just didn't hear y'all come out." I said wiping my tear stained face. "How long have you guys been standing here?"

"Long enough to know that everything is definitely not fine." Jake said leaning against the wall beside the bench Derek and I were sitting on.

"It's a long story" I said looking down at my hands.

"Well, you don't have to tell us if you don't want to," Derek said gently placing his hand on mine "but I would like to know why you’re sitting here rather than heading home. You've been sitting here for half an hour at least. If you've been here since you left the recording room that is." He gave me a soft smile that I couldn't help, but return.

"I have been for the most part. My car is in the shop, so I was waiting here for Johnathan to take me home."

"Johnathan is the guy who was in the room when you quit right?" Alex asked. I looked up at him and nodded, also noticing that Brooks had a sorrowful look on his face as he stared at me. I met his eyes briefly as I spoke.

"Yeah that was Johnathan. His sister and I live together and he's the one who got me this job, though he didn't know that I'd be working under Lampton."

"He seems like a good friend to you. After you left he continued to tell Mr. Lampton off." Brooks added bringing my attention back to him.

"He really is. I thought he'd come looking for me, but I guess I thought wrong." I stated a bit disappointed.

"He wanted to, but Lampton was headed to someone called Kemp, I believe." Derek said. His hand still rested on mine and I started messing with the many bracelets on his wrist.

"Yeah, that's right. Mr. Kemp is the one who runs this place. He, unlike Lampton, is kind and sees great things in me. He says I'm an extremely talented young woman." I was still messing with Derek's bracelets, and he gently squeezed my hand causing me to look up at him.

"You really are talented. You have a beautiful voice and I'm sure you're great with recording and fixing the sounds and what not. That Lampton guy just never gave you a chance." Derek said giving me a reassuring smile.

"Thanks Derek." I said before I realized something completely obvious. "I bet you guys had plans before you came and started listening to me vent."

"We did, but we couldn't leave without making sure you were okay." Brooks said and I sent him a grateful smile.

"Actually, why don't you come with us?" Derek said kind of excitedly.

"I can't just barge in on y'all plans like that." I was starting to get a bit nervous.

"Nonsense, you're more than welcome to come. We are meeting some friends at a small club and just hanging out. Come on Annie, you deserve to have some fun after what's happened today." Derek said standing up and pulling me up with him. I thought about what Julie said for a moment and put a smile on my face.

"Alright I'll go." I said giving in.

"Awesome you can be Brooks' date!" Alex said nudging Brooks in the side.

"What?" I asked, heat rising to my cheeks immediately.

"Alex is kidding." Brooks said shoving Alex away jokingly.

"Right, I knew that." I said laughing awkwardly.

"Quit trying to embarrass the girl, Alex." Jake said suddenly beside me and put his arm around my shoulders.

"Alright, let's just get to the van." Alex said defeated with his hands raised. I had a feeling tonight was going to be fun and a bit awkward all at the same time, but hopefully it will get my mind off of everything.