Left

Chapter One (Awakening)

She awoke with a start. Wait, how was she awake? She should be dead. The blast - how could she have survived? Her team, she knew, must not know she was alive or else they would be looking for her. Where were they? She sat up and looked around. She wasn’t in a damaged room. She was in a white room. Three walls were solid white and the fourth was a huge window. She touched the glass. It was reinforced, leaving her no way out of the room.

She looked out the window. There was rain pounding against the glass. The wind was blowing the few weak trees outside, forcing them to bend and sway in the wind. She brushed her brown hair back from her face enabling her to see farther. A little further away from the trees, she could see a ship, her ship. She saw her teammates line up and enter the ship one by one. The last one turned around and looked at her. Jack. It was Jack, she could tell. She threw herself up against the window pressing up against the glass desperately wishing the reinforced glass to break - but it didn’t. It withstood her weight and seemed to defy her will. Jack turned around and closed the door of the ship. The ship began to spin. The little cylinder in which the crew sat spun faster and faster, a green light emitted from the sides and the noise sounded. She had lived for that noise. The whirring of a thousand gears and the hissing of the hydraulics leading up to the cracking of the rift opening. The ship was gone and she was alone.

She was alone. She stepped back from the glass in shock. They had left her. Her team had left her. Jack, Jim and, Tim, and Vashti, had left her. The rain stopped pounding on the glass and a hazy mist was all that remained. There was a beep and the glass slid down. The mist came into the room engulfing the air with the petrichor, that sweet smell of dust right after rain. In an instant, the mist thickened and the world turned white.