Left

Chapter Two (Shock)

Once inside the machine Jack turned to the group, emotions flashing across his face. He shook his head at them then threw himself into a chair. It was a blue color. It was Solei’s favorite color. It was also the color of her eyes. Jack could remember that, now that she was gone.

“Why did we leave her? Why couldn’t we take her with us?” He said, after a moment, his voice straining.

“Because” said Jim “she was almost, if not totally dead.”

“And what of it? She was a part of our group. We could have taken her body and given her a proper decent burial back home or, or something,” He said

“We have to go now! Even if she was still alive you know the danger she is now. The scanner never lies," said Tim “I’m getting some readings that I don’t like. We need to get out. Now!”

“Well then, let’s move out," said Jim

Vashti and Tim ran to the console and began to pull levers first the green on then a blue one. Then Vashti typed in a line of code and the screens flickered green. The ship shook a little then became steady.

“Well, back home we go," said Tim.

Jack just sat there staring.

“What? It’s not like we can change the past. We need to move on and save Earth.” said Tim.

“Do we even know she really died? She could have been clinging to life. We could have saved her or helped her!” Jack blurted out.

“You saw the blast. You were in it. You know that she couldn’t have survived," said Jim “she was too close.”

“I saw it! I was in it. And I'm fine. Are you sure that she died? Are you sure?” Jack asked.

“I was the first one to get to her, you were all still unconscious. I know what to check for. She was dead, Jack. She was dead. She wasn’t breathing and she had no pulse. She was dead. Nothing I could do to heal her.”

“But why did we leave her there? We left her on a planet that we could never return to after what we did. How could you leave her?” Jack said. “We left her there in an enemy building 20 meters away from our ship. Why? Why?”

“Because she was dead,” said Jim. “Because even if she wasn't she had proven herself a clear and present danger to us and our planet. She had a plague that we couldn’t allow to reach earth. You saw the readings from the scanner like the rest of us.”

Jack slumped in his chair and began to cry softly. He sat there for a few minutes before he succumbed to sadness and his world went black.