God of the Dreams

The King

The king was staring at a vault. Here he kept every thing that he needed to know. His long jet black hair was blowing in the wind. He smiled. He was safe. Nothing could touch him. His plans could go forth. He was going to build more institutions for those who were thought to be insane. Yes, the public would have to be taxed, but it was for the greater good.
He turned and left the room. As he did so Javin materialized. He approached the safe. He laughed. It was classic. He’d done this before. A safe where you keep your will and thoughts. He placed a finger on the safes door and stroked the dial. It had been fun to break into these before by picking the locks, but now he just had to say the word.
“Open,” said Javin and it did. The dials spun unlocking it faster than a mortal hand could move, tumblers catching at incredible speed. The door slid open quickly on well oiled hinges. A light inside flashed on. Fog and mist bellowed out of the safe, the light crating an orange cloud. Javin licked his pale lips in anticipation. What was it that the king had chosen to represent all that empower him?
When the fog dissipated a faint electronic hum emitted from the safe. Javin leaned in to examine the contents. Sitting on a glass pedestal surrounded by needles and machinery, was a grey brain, the king’s brain. All of his thoughts were here.
Javin smiled. This was going to be easier than he thought. He could literally change the king’s mind. He could mutate the king’s intentions and exterminate his thoughts. But right now he had his goals to accomplish. He reached out a hand and spoke one command. “Be.”
His hand shimmered and it seemed as if the air around it was bending. In his hand a syringe materialized. A thin needle, about an inch and a half long, filled with a clear liquid.
Javin began to concentrate. He thought of his need for power in the real world. He thought of the job he wanted the king to give him. Small wisps of green began to form at the top of the liquid. Little tendrils mixing with the clear. He thought of the king’s plans and how he would be best served. Black tendrils of colour intertwined with the green. When they touched a sickly purple color emanated. When the whole vial was this purple, Javin stabbed the needle into the brain. The brain convulsed and squirmed. The rest of the world began to dissolve.
“Shhhh,” shushed Javin, knowing this world was about to end. “It’s just a bad dream. You’ll be fine.” after these words were spoken the world, began to reform. The brain was no longer grey. It was a violent shade of purple. It began to emit puffs of green smoke that darkened everything it touched. Javin smiled, the deed was done. It was time to leave.
“You there! What have you done?” said a deep voice.
Javin turned around. It was the king. “I haven’t done anything... yet,” he lied. “I’m going to need you to do some things for me. I need you to stop your plans and I will be a mentor to you. I will teach you how to rule.”
“You cannot fool me. You’re trying to plant ideas in my head. You cannot fool me.”
“Oh, but I’m not just telling you, if you don't stop your plans, Ill make every sleeping moment hell, the hell of your nightmare.” replied Javin with a deadly grin.
“Do your worst. You are no more than a bad dream. You have no power in my mind.”
“I am no mere mortal, I am a god, the God of Dreams.” With these words, the ground beneath the king gave way. The king began to fall. He landed with a thud in a cavern. The walls began to crawl and turned black. They moved towards the king. The walls were made of spiders; spiders of every variety imaginable began to crawl towards the king. He screamed. The way they moved was bad enough, but to be surrounded by them was much worse.
Javin drifted gracefully down towards the spiders and the king. “I told you that I can give you your perfect hell.”
The king struggled to maintain his will. He began to shake off the spiders.
“Oh, getting ideas now are we? Well none of that now,” said Javin, waving his hand at the spiders. The spiders turned to dirt.
The king paled. He was being buried alive. He had been forced to watch his stepfather be buried alive. He couldn’t sleep for weeks afterwards. It had been a recurring nightmare.
“Now don’t you remember? Don’t you remember the dreams?” said Javin, “` All those years ago, when you couldn’t sleep? I haven't forgotten, nor will I.”