‹ Prequel: Disaster Reformed

Liars Revived

Chapter Three

Leaves crunched under shoes, branches snapped in half. Lifting eyes from the ground, Celestica found themselves coming upon a bridge that lied over a huge river. The bridge was at least two hundred feet in the air and didn’t look very sturdy. Unfortunately, it was their only way across.

Stopping right before the thing, she stared down at the water, feeling a small ounce of fear that she quickly tampered down.

Itachi sent her a side glance as if to say, “Well?”

Not wanting to look like a fool, she put aside her fear of bridges and water and moved forward, onto the first plank. The thing creaked under her weight, but didn’t seem like it was going to break.

Refusing to show her fear, she continued onward, never once moving to grab ahold of the roped railings. As she continued, she noticed that the bridge began to bend at her weight. It freaked her out, and she found herself turning back toward Itachi, who had just gotten to the edge of the bridge and was staring at her.

He must have sensed her rising panic because he stopped and waited for her to come back. But as she started walking, the creaking of the bridge grew louder, the planks bending even more. Just as she was about ten feet away from Itachi, there was a snapping sound.

Everything went in slow motion at that moment. Eyes wide, Celestica glanced down at the shattering wood, and then jumped forward, hand coming out of the sleeve of her cloak reaching for Itachi, who had also started to reach for her.

Their fingers brushed, hands snapping closed but only closing around air.

A loud, ear shattering scream left Celestica’s throat as she fell. It seemed to last forever, but then the water came around her, filling her lungs, sucking her down under.

Panicking, she flailed around in the water, choking, needing air. Her eyes closed, lungs failing, and she passed out.

__________

Brainwashed. That was what she was now. Tobi had brainwashed her. She’d joined the Akatsuki. She’d joined as their killer, their pawn. She’d meant to leave, wanting to be away from Sasuke, but Tobi took her away.

He’d said that she’d be able to kill Sasuke once they had no use for him anymore. That’d be soon, he’d said. He said that she had fire in her blood, being an Uchiha, and she’d be a valuable person in the Akatsuki. He had completely converted her.

Sitting in a room all alone, she wondered how this had happened. How Itachi had died, how Sasuke had been lost to the dark, the power, how she’d been so manipulated. Her first mission would be in a few hours. She was supposed to be preparing; however, she was already prepared.

Sasuke was going on his own mission, as well. But he’d already left about two hours ago. She was not allowed to track him, wasn’t allowed to touch him. If she did, Tobi promised to kill her. Or, as she now knew him as, Madara Uchiha.

Back to the mission. She was to find a group called Crater and kill each and every member. They were attempting to find the Akatsuki hideout. This mission, as Madara said, would test her strength and allow him to find out how strong she really is.

Reaching an arm out, she grasped the handle of her newly made sword and brought it to her finger. The tip of it sliced open the flesh, and she poured the blood onto the blade, and then brought the blade about an inch from her face.

“In Itachi’s honor, I vow to avenge his death. I vow to make Madara Uchiha know my strength. And I vow to complete this mission successfully, with no battle wounds.”

__________

The first thing Celestica realized was that she was no longer in water. A good thing, right? The second thing she realized was that she was being carried on someone’s back. But whose?

Cracking open an eye was tougher to do than she’d imagine. Her body was weak, extremely so. Her other eye was easier to open than the last and the first thing she saw was black hair. Okay… “Put me down,” she growled.

“Oh, so you’re finally awake.”

Celestica found that the ground came too quickly. “Ow!” she yelped. “What was that for?” Once the guy turned around, her eyes widened. “You’re Sasuke…”

“And you are?” Eyes narrowed, glaring down at her.

“The one looking for you.” Before she could finish her sentence, her back was up against a tree, an arm pressed into her throat. She coughed. Okay… that was the wrong thing to say.

__________

Moving down the streets, Suki moved at a leisured pace. The plant guy seemed to get annoyed at how slow she was moving and even told her to speed up. Turning around, she walked backwards, facing Zetsu. “Oh, I’m sorry, am I going to slow?” Her tone was sugary sweet, insincere.

Zetsu narrowed his eyes. If she weren’t in the Akatsuki, he’d attack her. She seemed to be able to bring his temper to the top. Something that didn’t usually happen. “Just hurry it up already.”

“Oh, I see. You want to report back to Madara as soon as possible. Well unfortunately for you, I don’t really like the guy, so I’ll take as much time as possible. And besides,” she said, turning back around, “this is my mission.”

“It’s that type of attitude that’ll get you killed,” he said under his breath.

A few minutes passed and she decided to give the guy a break. Moving from barely a walk to a full out run, she threw her arms behind her and ran full speed ahead, catching Zetsu off guard.

Within half an hour of running, they ended up at their destination. Four men sat around a fire, laughing and telling stories. They were so dense, not realizing that death was near, about to take them into its controlling arms.

Activating her Sharingan, she caught the eye of one of the men, and before he could speak, she placed him under a Genjutsu. The man’s body slumped forward, lost in seventy two hours of torture that will surely kill him in the end.

Taking out a kunai, she closed her eyes, imagining Itachi with her, teaching her, and threw it.

“What the hell?” a man yelled.

Opening her eyes, she saw that she had shot the kunai exactly through one of their hearts, killing them on impact. The other two were standing, looking frantically around with kunais of their own out.

Two down, two to go. Hopping off of a branch she currently resided on, she came face to face with the two. They stared.

“I-It’s a female,” one of them gasped out.

Raising a brow, she walked forward, arms spread out before her. “What, females can’t be killers now? Come on, be reasonable here. We’re all ninja, right?”

The one on her left wasn’t thinking straight. He ran for her, no strategy in mind. His arm shot out, throwing the kunai and she ducked, throwing her leg out, tripping the shinobi. It seems that they are new shinobi. But they’re older, very inexperienced. Odd.

He fell, and she was on his chest in an instant, pressing his own kunai into his throat, beheading him. When she looked up from the kill, the last man was running away, fleeing and leaving his dead comrades.

“Oh, no you don’t.” She went to run after him, only to have Madara appear out of nowhere. “Very good,” he spoke.

He’s letting the man get away? He’s forcing me to drop my mission? She went to move around him, but Madara matched her every step. “I haven’t completed my mission yet, Madara,” she growled, glaring into his uncovered Sharingan.

“Leave him.” He went to walk away, expecting her to follow, and when she veered away from him to finish the mission, he narrowed his eye and simply sucked her up into it.

__________

She glared at Sasuke from where she sat. He had made her completely vulnerable by tying her wrists together. She couldn’t make hand signs or anything.

“Who are you?”

“I told you who I am. I’m the one looking for you!”

“Okay,” he replied, pulling out his snake sword. “Why are you looking for me?” The question was more of a demand as he pressed the blade into her throat.

“You know, Sasuke,” she answered, “you should be a lot nicer to those you’re interrogating.” As the tip of the sword pressed into her skin, she let out a low growl in warning.

“You want to play me? I can kill you in an instant.”

“Oh Sasuke, as cocky as ever. You want to know what’s funny about this situation? The fact that you’re playing with my life, but you won’t kill me because you want answers. Guess what, Sasuke? Your brother is alive.”

“You’re lying.” Sasuke stared at her, brought the sword back and went to stab it into her neck, only to find his arm being held back.

“Sasuke, c’mon. Just because someone mentions your brother doesn’t mean you have to go on a rampage and kill them.”

“Suigetsu. Do not interfere.”

Bringing her head back, she allowed the hood of her cloak to fall off of her head, then stared at Sasuke with bright, anger-filled red eyes. “You know, Sasuke,” she growled, “if you were smart, you’d realize that I wasn’t lying.” Her inner self grit her teeth and glanced around. Itachi, where are you? Did you abandon me?

Swiveling his head around to face her, he snapped, “Don’t talk like you know anything about Itachi. You don’t know him at all!”

“Like you do? Your whole life you’ve been building up the hatred and power to kill him! And then after he’s dead you find out the truth. So don’t you dare act like you know anything about him, because you don’t!” …Wrong move.

Sasuke broke out of Suigetsu’s grip and moved the sword forward. Her eyes stared into the blade, wide and caught off guard. But the sword hit the tree behind her back as she threw her body to the side, dodging just in time.

Unfortunately she was completely vulnerable to attack now. She stared at Sasuke. Once again he came at her and this time, she didn’t bother trying to escape.

A kunai launched from the trees, hitting the tip of the blade and deflecting it. The sword came down, landing right between her hands, severing the rope holding them together.

“What?” Sasuke growled, whirling around to face the attacker, only to go completely still.

Celestica rose to a crouch and jumped into the air, flipping, and landed with one knee on the ground right next to Itachi. The man didn’t look happy, but she still smirked over at him and said, “I knew you wouldn’t leave me to die.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Third chapter. Yayayayay. Itachi to the rescueeeeee. What do you think Sasuke's reaction to his brother being alive will be?