‹ Prequel: Disaster Reformed

Liars Revived

Chapter Five

“Mmm,” Celestica moaned, eyes parting to stare at the bright blue sky above her. Shooting up, she looked around frantically until her eyes rested upon Itachi.

He was resting against a tree, his eyes closed. One leg was pulled up, almost resting against his chest, his arm laying across the knee. The other laid straight out on the ground, that arm resting on it as well. He looked so relaxed, so peaceful.

Taking the opportunity, Celestica studied him. Her eyes moved from his long, beautiful black hair, to his closed eyes. Moving down, she studied his lips. A small smile curved onto her own as she found herself wondering what it’d be like to kiss him. Moving on, her eyes roamed his cloaked body, finally coming to rest at his feet.

His leg twitched and her eyes snapped to his face, seeing that his eyes were open, watching her, catching her staring.

“Ah, you’re awake,” she said nonchalantly, playing off being uncomfortable. “Shall we leave?” But then her eyes caught something she didn’t notice before. “Oh my God, what happened?” She stood up, alarmed, staring hard at his leg.

“Those guys had friends,” was all he said.

Bringing a hand up, she placed it over her mouth. Tears filled her eyes, but she forced them back. “T-This is all my fault…”

He said nothing, neither denying nor agreeing.

“If I hadn’t of stayed back and passed out on you, you wouldn’t be hurt. I’m such a burden… All you’re doing is trying to find your sister and I’m holding you back. I’m--”

“Be quiet.”

She opened her mouth, closed it, repeated. She probably looked like a fish. “W-What?”

He sighed. “Why is it that whenever I’m in your presence, I’m perpetually annoyed?”

Her eyes went wide, mouth dropping open. “You… you…,” she trailed off, not able to come up with the right word to describe him. The corner of his mouth quirked up. The jerk was amused! How dare he? “You j--”

“Itachi?”

Annoyed at the interruption, Celestica turned to stare at… Kisame. The shark-man-thing was staring wide eyed at Itachi, mouth open in shock.

“I thought you were dead.”

Itachi simply shrugged, his eyes roaming carefully over his comrade. “I see you’re still a member of the Akatsuki.”

“Yeah, I.. never mind that. Itachi, how?”

“A mere coincidence, I suppose I could say. This girl, Celestica, happened to find my dying body and seems to know medical ninjutsu. Simple to say she revived me, in a way.”

“You sound like you could care less about being alive, Itachi.” Kisame quirked a brow. “I assume you’d be happy.”

“My plan,” Itachi responded, rising to a standing position with the help of the tree behind him, “was originally for Sasuke to kill me. I basked in the thought of death. I am not the cold bastard everyone thinks I am. However, plans don’t always work out as the person wishes.”

Well, it seems that I fucked up, Celestica thought bitterly.

Kisame didn’t seen to know what to say and neither did Celestica. An awkward silence filled the void between them, no one bothering to even glance at one another. Celestica sighed, dejectedly, before peeking over at Itachi. He was staring at the sky, seeming to be lost in thought.

“Then why not kill yourself?” Celestica regretted it as soon as she opened her mouth; but she had to say it. He was ungrateful for being alive, and she refused to feel guilt at that.

“Why succumb to the weakness of not being able to stay in this world? It is different, being killed and committing suicide. When you commit, the person knows exactly how, when and why they will die. However, when a person is killed, it is hard to know what exactly happened and why. I would rather be killed than to do anything myself.”

Never once did Itachi take his eyes off of the sky. Never once did he glance at any of his comrades. It was as if he were ignoring them. However, he wasn’t angry. No, that wasn’t the case. If he were angry, they would know it.

“Fine, you want to die so badly? Go have Sasuke kill you again. I’m sure he would if you convince him that Madara was lying the whole time.” Her eyes closed slowly, then snapped back open to glare over at Itachi, who was now giving her a withering look. She held his gaze, never flinching or allowing it to faze her. Why should she?

“Sasuke would never believe a word I have to say to him now if it meant killing me once again. No, he wouldn’t be able to believe it. He’s smarter than anyone gives him credit for. Especially the people who know him,” Itachi replied, almost glaring at her.

She shifted under his scrutiny, glancing over to Kisame, who seemed to be enjoying their mindless banter. A small smirk rested on his lips, his gaze meeting hers. “Kisame, just curious, why are you still here?”

“Am I not allowed to be in the presence of my comrade?”

“Technically, since you are in the Akatsuki and he is not, you two are no longer comrades.” She stepped forward, a determined look appearing on her face. “He is my comrade now.”

“And if I were to quit the Akatsuki?”

Celestica didn’t respond; and how could she? This man--shark--was Itachi’s original comrade. It probably wouldn’t take a genius to understand their connection. They’d been comrades for years, and according to Kisame, he thought that they were still comrades. She could be replaced easily. So easily that she could be forgotten within a millisecond. It was unfair. This whole time, she had been the one chasing after the Sharingan master. This whole time, she had been the one hopelessly in love with him. But he would never return the favor, now would he? Celestica doubted it and the revelation hurt. It cut deep, like a sword plunging into her chest. Sneaking a glance at Itachi, who was now standing, she wondered if it would really be that hard to get him to fall in love again. Or did he not believe in love anymore? Fuck! “Fine, Kisame. You win. Leave the Akatsuki and take Itachi back as your comrade.”

Itachi’s eyes roved over to her, the look he gave making her want to kill something. It was so blank, so unemotional. It was as if he could care less about what she just said. But then, why should he? She’d only gotten him in trouble.

“I do not need him anymore, and he does not need me.” She would have to put her foot down and see if Itachi wanted her around.

Kisame grinned widely, replying with, “It’s a shame I’m not quitting the Akatsuki. I have been having fun. Although, I do miss Itachi.”

“Hmm…” Itachi started to walk away from the two, calling out behind him, “Let’s go.”

“Farewell, Kisame,” Celestica said with a false salute, following behind Itachi. Set the bait. Fish caught. Accomplishment achieved. You will be mine, Itachi.

__________

Suki was pissed. She was absolutely furious. She could not believe that Madara would actually make her drop a mission! A mission that she had been happy to finish herself.

Damn you to hell, you asshole leader! She paced the premises of the hideout, glaring at everything in sight. No one was around. No, they were all out finishing their missions.

A door creaked open, Suki stopping in her tracks to stare toward the noise. Her ears picked up the almost silent sound of footsteps. When Kisame stepped through the doorway and gave her a look of pure disbelief, she gave him a confused look.

“I would tell you what I have just run into, but I am afraid it is not my secret to tell. One thing I can tell you, though, is that a woman named Celestica is looking for you. She claims that she knows you.” When her eyes widened, he continued, “She is currently looking for the hideout so she can talk to you. I warn you that, when you find her, do not attack.”

“Although I would never think of doing so, why?”

“You will see when you come across her. Why did you have a look of surprise when I mentioned her name?”

“Because… I watched her die.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally a chapter! God, I've had writers block for so long. Hopefully, though, the next chapter will be longer and will have shorter of a time to appear.