‹ Prequel: Disaster Reformed

Liars Revived

Chapter Seven

As much as she didn't want to admit it, Suki was afraid. She didn't want to kill her long lost friend and she most certainly did not want to work for Madara any longer. But what else could she possibly do?

Sasuke had come into the room just as Madara had left. His eyes were emotionless, his expression matching one that Itachi would have worn. "You aren't going to do it." It wasn't a question, he already knew the answer.

"What does it matter to you? You don't even know her."

He smiled cruelly. "That is where you are wrong. Not only do I know her, but I know the person she is currently traveling here with. I have had a little run in with them." His black gaze shifted from her to the door, fully aware that someone was there, listening to their conversation. His voice dropped a few octaves, only so his sister could hear, "Whether or not you do it is your choice. But you better run if Madara finds out you refuses. He is merciless and will not hold back from killing you, or anyone allied with you." Including Itachi, were his unspoken words.

"Why are you telling me this? It isn't like you care about anything except for yourself. In fact, you want to kill your own best friend. Itachi was one thing, and that betrayal runs deep. I'll never forgive you for it. But Naruto has been there for you through everything! If I've heard right, he's trying to convince the Hokage not to kill you. He's the only one who still believes in you. Doesn't that mean anything at all?"

"I could care less about him, or any of them for that matter. My only concern is--"

"Avenging Itachi," Suki interrupted, mocking Sasuke. She took a step closer to her brother, eyes blazing with unreleased fury. "You are an avenger, nothing more, nothing less. I wonder now, if it was the wrong choice in ever showing myself to you. It has not changed a single thing. Even if we had known each other for longer, I cannot see you as being my flesh and blood. You are nothing more than--"

"A killer," Sasuke finished. "And yet you wish to kill me, your own 'flesh and blood.' So tell me, what does that make you?"

Suki raised her eyes to Sasuke's, the pain in them searing him. "A want is different than an action, Sasuke. I may want to kill you, but I cannot. Despite everything, we have an unbreakable bond, one of being twins and despite all you have done to shatter me, I can't hate you."

And for once in his pathetic life, Sasuke felt regret.

__________


"We are almost there, aren't we?"

"Soon," was Itachi's short, one answered response. He felt compelled to look back at the girl, to actually talk to her, something he hadn't been able to do with anyone for a long time, excluding Kisame. It was odd, the feeling that was growing toward this girl. A protective nature, one that was growing to become as fierce as the one toward his sister. Itachi almost didn't understand it, but the one thing allowing him to was the fact that he had once felt this way toward his dead ex. So what it all meant, in the end, is that he was inevitably falling for the girl.

Celestica was infuriating, annoying, possessive, protective, talkative, among other things, but somehow she had crawled her way past Itachi's hard exterior and into his guarded heart.

"You don't talk much," Celestica said after a long beat of silence. "I am beginning to wonder whether or not you ever talked much. I can't seem to remember much..."

Itachi let out a small, almost reluctant, sigh. "I don't like talking." In some cases, the truth was always better than nothing. Itachi wasn't quite sure about this one, since Celestica was unpredictable. Even more so than others since she was immune to the Sharingan. How that was possible, he wasn't sure.

"You know talking helps people, right?" she asked softly. "E-Especially about their feelings."

By now Celestica was at his side, and they were facing one another, no longer walking. "What are you getting at?

Celestica stepped closer to him, a shy smile appearing on her face, her eyes gleaming against the sunlight. When he didn't back up, she stepped even closer, and stood taller, almost on the tips of her toes.

Itachi's eyes widened when he realized her intent, but it was too late to stop her. When their lips met, his body went rigid. The jolt of electricity that ran between them wasn't enough to fuel the fire burning in Itachi's veins. His eyes hardened as he pulled back, his face even more emotionless than before.

"I-Itachi...," Celestica whispered dejectedly, watching as he backed away from her, shutting himself down in the process. His guard was back up. She had ruined it.

"That meant nothing."

His words were like a slap to the face and before she knew it, a tear had fallen down her cheek. "I thought... that you felt the same way."

The cruel smile that lifted his lips was one that made it obvious that fate was playing with her heart. Maybe she should just run away, and never return, maybe hide out somewhere, leave him be. "Sure, just play with my feelings," she whispered. "Become amused at my tears."

He opened his mouth to speak, but was interrupted by an unwanted voice, "Celestica. You're really alive, after all of this time. I can't believe it."